[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just bought this. 2006 Impala SS, 125K miles, $7k. what do I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
File: YA_800.jpg (81 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
YA_800.jpg
81 KB, 800x531
Just bought this. 2006 Impala SS, 125K miles, $7k. what do I need to do to prep it for a turbo? exhaust, IC, I dont know where to start.
>>
>>14892177
you can start by selling that piece of shit for something worth a turbo.
>>
>>14892193
This.
>>
>>14892193
... can I get actual advice?
>>
>>14892309
no, you made bad decisions without doing research first, now go wallow in your incompetence
>>
>>14892177
Why not just enjoy the V8? Let the tryhard 4 bangers fit turbos,
>>
realtalk: for the turbo kit on impalas, you need the pontiac GXP springs.

You'll also need a built transmission, because even at stock power, these things eat transmissions like nothing else.
>>
>>14892177
yo OP.

its a nice car fuck everyone else i love boats.

First. The transmission on those things tends to blow around 100k or so. They're a v6 transmission and the 5.3 stresses them a lot. Instead of dumping cash on a turbo, either find a tougher trans online or save up for when you'll need a replacement. Adding power without doing this is going to blow it up guaranteed.

Second. A turbo is dumb. This is a FWD car with an already too big engine for it. I doubt there is any more room in that bay without fabricating a fuck ton. Just save your money and don't.

Third. If you want to mod it because #racecar, just limit yourself to a CAI, headers and possibly a tune. It's a v8 and is quite tunable.

Fourth. I wouldn't tune it though. It's got 300 hp and a boatload of torque. This isn't a slow car even if it weighs as much as most Walmart's. The best thing about this car is the amount of sound dampening in the cabin - its a silent, smooth, comfortable ride with a lot of oomph when you need it. The leather interior is also nice.

Its basically a bargain price luxobarge. Very understated. But if you look to the Impala SS because you want to do serious driving, a fwd, auto tragic whale is not the answer.

My opinion? Spend 300 bucks on having someone detail the shit out of it and apply those Finalcoats on it to keep it looking nice for two years. Then save for a new transmission and buy good grippy tires. That's it.
>>
You should've gotten the cobalt ss turbo
>>
>>14892422
i found it hard to believe there was an SS trim for the cobalt until I saw one last week.
>>
>>14892177
I'll give you a chance at very unlikely redemption.

Why get this with the intention of modding it?
>>
>>14892453
ahaha so true. Funny enough GM said they were pulling the ss brand because they had been using it on too many cars that didn't deserve it. Ei malibu ss, cobalt ss etc.

>>14892422
cobalt ss is an econobox with a blower. it's smaller, louder, less comfortable and less powerful than OP's car. Still fun tho. Just not better than the imp
>>
>>14892473
*pulling the ss brand from most cars (the camaro kept it obis)
>>
>>14892473
No they made a turbo version and with a factory tune with a warranty you could bring it up to 300whp
>>
>>14892412
fuck yeah its quiet, suspension is also really cushy. thank you, I had an LT , but it was totaled 3 weeks ago. this one came already tinted, and it was the right price. I think you're right, breaking the tires loose is already easy, Ill just stick with the lite stuff.
>>14892467
modding was an afterthought, I had an LT, that i fully redid the audio on and that was not worth any mechanical upgrades. this one is at least a V8 and deserves some magnaflow pipes.
>>
>>14892473
>too many cars

>trailblazer ss

Yeah, I agree.
>>
>>14892177
this is what a riced impala looks like
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ottawa/2006-impala-ss/1158179855?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
don't be that guy OP. keep it clean and enjoy it.
>>
>>14892504
im not a fucking nigger, and I live in washington, so those gay lamp covers are illegal anyway. I kind of like the idea of it being a sleeper.
>>
File: 1418928129369.gif (2 MB, 300x199) Image search: [Google]
1418928129369.gif
2 MB, 300x199
>mfw people buy these shitpiles

lel, better have $2k set aside for a new trans in about a month
>>
>>14892412
You're telling me this vehicle which has an SS badge from Chevy has a 5.3 liter V8, and it only puts out 300hp? In a front wheel drive configuration? And how much does it weigh?

Not gonna lie. That sounds horrible. I mean, $7k isn't bad, but that could of gone towards something a lot better.
>>
>>14892489
is that what the wiki told you? Of course, every cobalt owner will tell you that. Dosen't change that no one bought those and they are impossible to find.
>>
File: IMG_20110303_121135.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20110303_121135.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
Got a 08 LS Impala, absolutely love mine and only 76k miles. Def had my axle break luckily covered by warranty. Had all my coolant gaskets leak so had all those replaced and now my interior fans click anytime I touch my climate cool system. Other then those problems most resolved but the fan clicking, I love my boat. Although only 14.8 mpg city.

Was thinking about some performance upgrades to squeeze a bit more out of my 3.4L V6, 214hp.

-Pic Related (5 year old photo, same sub)
>>
>>14892538

Cobalt SS T/Cs aren't that uncommon, they're cheap as fuck too, around the same price as SRT-4s
>>
>>14892538
What? I see tons of them
>implying wiki isn't accurate enough
What are you in college
>>
>>14892547
OP here, 3.5 MONO EXHAUST BRO. the LT was that same year, so much fucking trunk space, if only the seats folded... but you could fit any sub box you wanted in that bitch.
>>
>>14892412

> boat
> luxobarge

It's an Impala. Have you ever ridden in a large car before?
>>
>>14892537
keep in mind camaros made 300 hp with 5.7 liters until they were discontinued in 2002, so a FWD non-sportscar boasting more from less displacement is pretty good.

Here's the wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LS_based_GM_small-block_engine#LS4
>>
>>14892547
you should get the SS spoiler, it screws on right where the inner trunk starts to narrow. took me like 5 mins to install.
>>
>>14892567
The impala is a large car by any measure. The SS is a top trim. It comes with a large engine. It comes with all leather interior.

It is once again "a bargain priced luxobarge". Not audi or MB level luxobarge, but definitely was expensive new, and well equipped. Honestly because it has a chevy badge its cheap and a good buy if you want to drive a big comfortable car.

Also
> 3,700 pounds
> not a boat

pick one.
>>
>>14892596

Heavy as a boat I'd buy but it's not a large car by comparison to what most people call 'boats' or 'barges'. Town Cars and shit like that are boats, Impalas, not so much.
>>
>>14892557
not implying wiki isn't accurate, i'm implying that's the first thing people say when they own/want an SS

HURR DURR DID U KNO GM DID A STAGE 3 SS

still fun cars tho. they're cheap. but i've rarely seen turbo here, let alone anyone with the "factory 300hp tune"
>>
>>14892193
Fuck you, buddy, the Impala SS is actually a pretty good car.

HOW-FUCKING-EVER.

Do not try to put a turbo on this car, OP. Do not. It is not worth it. The car's biggest fucking problem is that it's running a V8 engine in the transverse mount, meaning there is. no. fucking. room. Don't even try.
>>
>>14892624
Sure, the impala is 200 inches long and the the town car is longer by 15 inches. Plus the town car weights 200-300 pounds more. But that still does not make the impala small. Its comfy as fuck inside.
>>
>>14892638
pretty much this
>>
>>14892494
>HHR SS
>>
>>14892538
There was a GM warrantied tune package for the LNF. It was new 3 bar MAP sensors a tune and a sticker for CARB and to use premium fuel. You could get it for the Solstice/Sky, HHR/Cobalt.
>>
>>14892638
i figured there was a workaround, i was sure someone else had done it before.
>>
>>14892638
I have the factory tune on my Solstice GXP
>>
File: 893428324.jpg (113 KB, 800x501) Image search: [Google]
893428324.jpg
113 KB, 800x501
You guys think 2012 and onwards LTZ Impalas are more powerful/have stronger and better transmissions?
>>
>>14892663
i've never driven a more comfortable car. this V8 is only making it more cozy.
>>
>>14892537
I think what people need to keep in mind is most big engines got a serious power sap in the period between 2000 and 2010 courtesy of the recession.
>>
>>14892538
Meh, they're around the same price as what you payed, the most expensive one I found when I was in the market for a turbocharged shitbox was 9k, which was about on par with SRT-4's, the car that OP should have gotten.
>>
>>14892728
Dunno about more powerful, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had less iffy transmissions. My '07 SS hasn't given me any trouble with the tranny yet.
>>
>v8
ok sweet
>fwd
HAHHAHAHA
>GM
garbage

you fucked up anon
>>
>>14892752
how many miles?
>>
>>14892780
Somewhere between 62 and 65k.
>>
>>14892177
found my key fob from the old impala, turns out reprogramming is easy as hitting the option on the dash and holding lock and unlock on the fob for 5 seconds. saved me like 80 bucks
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.