[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Say you were going to pick up a pic related with the intention
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: 1999-chevrolet-camaro-1.jpg (1 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
1999-chevrolet-camaro-1.jpg
1 MB, 3072x2304
Say you were going to pick up a pic related with the intention of modding it for power. Say 400-500hp. At that level would the clutch of a manual transmission be too heavy for daily driving, and thus an autotragic be a better option?
>>
>>14891756
If you're going to buy a 13 yr old + car and modify it. Buy a clutch.
>>
>>14891756
No becuz u buy a new clutch
>>
>>14891771
>>14891783
Right, but can a stock clutch handle that much power, or would you have to look into heavy duty clutches.
>>
>>14891790
You should probably look that up. If it's a V8 it'll be a T56 6 speed, go look up on Camaro forums what that clutch can handle stock. Worst case is you get a new clutch, it won't be that bad because it's still a hydraulic clutch, it won't be too heavy. It might bite harder and take some getting used to, but it won't get a ton heavier since you're not getting one for crazy high power.
>>
>>14891809
Cool, that's what I was looking for, thanks
>>
depends on your left leg and if you're staying with a single disc.
>>
>>14891756
My skyline GTR is running a nismo coppermix clutch to handle well above that, while cruising around.

Clutch is amazingly smooth, zero problems daily driving it (it's actually stupid light).

I assume if you get something similar quality and fork out a couple grand it will be just as good.

It's actually easier in stop-go traffic than a few other cars, just because it's so god damn light.
>>
>>14891771
>>14891783
OP is asking if the kind of clutch that can hold 500hp will be okay for daily driving. And OP, it depends on the clutch. If you spend a bunch of money on a fancy twin-plate or something it won't be bad.
>>
>>14891838
Cool, thanks brev
>>
>>14891834
its light on your foot because its a twin disc.
>>
>>14891866
Yea, that's my point, op needs to just fork out for a quality clutch and not stress, it will feel better than stock when you get used to it.
>>
>>14891756
the glass 10 bolt is more likely to grenade before you need a clutch.
>>
>>14891887
I knew at those levels I'd be looking at a new rear end anyway.
>>
>>14891895
Ford 9"?
>>
>>14891917
That's way overkill for that amount of power but OP could of course do that if he wanted to spend big money.
>>
>>14891917
I'm not sure what I'd get exactly. I was thinking a reman OE beefed up rear end
>>
>>14891756
Nope, but it will be harder than you're used to

T. Used to drive a buddy's 550-ish hp 94 Firechicken Formula with a butt-mounted Garrett turbo and a slew of other power adders
>>
>>14891920
I was thinking of doing this as a budget build.

6-7k for the car
2.5k for a roots blower
2k for a good clutch
(1.5k?) for a reman rear end
2k engine rebuild kit
300 for HP tuners kit

Then depending what I hit, either a smaller pully or a mild cam. It's not super cheap, but for what it is, it's pretty nice.
>>
>>14891946
I can't say that I know a ton about these cars but that sounds like a good budget to make a really solid car.
>>
>>14891946
you're going to need bigger injectors and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, possibly an ignition system with a boost timing retard if you can't program the ecu to do it. are those map or maf setups? not too versed in the f body but I know FI, 2k for a clutch is excessive. a centerforce dual friction should handle the power fine. moser axle shafts and a c-clip eliminator kit in the stock housing should hold together unless you're hammering it on slicks.

left out a catch can setup, boosted cars sweat a lot of vapors from the pcv breather system when pressurized.
>>
>>14891756
if you are going for straight line speed
build a 4l80e and stick it in there, best value
4l60e will keep exploding
t56 is stronk
>>
>>14892029
Forgot the injectors and fuel system. The tuning software can adjust for timing retard under boost as far as I know. Should be using a MAF.

This would be a street car, so skip the reman rear end and do a c-clip eliminator?
>>
>>14891873
well twin disc is excessive for his power level. And they wear quick. And theyre hella expensive. And they make your engine sound broken at idle.( in my personal experience anyway)
>>
>>14892045
Get stronger shafts and a c-clip elim. kit and the 10 bolt will be fine on street tires. MAF usually can't retard under boost as they use air volume and not manifold pressure to calculate values? msd or someone might make a stand alone or I may be wrong it is probably a question for an f-body forum. I used msd 6btm ignition box since I have only built carb s/c engines.
>>
>>14892045
talking about that I left out a better fuel pump walbro 255 is what the racers in my area are running. set your fuel pressure then hook a vacuum line to manifold so it will raise 1psi per lb of boost. bigger injectors at stock pressure will have a better spray pattern and longer service life than smaller ones at elevated pressures.
>>
>>14892098
Why people are using 255s in 2016 is beyond me. 450s are in the low 100s shipped.
>>
>>14892112
>Why people are using 255s in 2016 is beyond me. 450s are in the low 100s shipped.

If the fuel flow is adequate at the pressures you need there is no reason for a larger pump, the excess flow is just going back down the return line. smaller pumps use less amperage, less electrical load means the alternator isn't working as hard, it may only be a minor parasitic loss but if ya don't need it why bother? just my take, I'm the kind of guy who indexes his spark plugs though.
>>
>>14891790
>i'm going to take the engine out of my car and mod tha fuck out of it but i'm too stupid to change the clutch at the same time
>welp better get an automatic
>>
>>14892141
if you're not outflowing a 255 in 201ΓΌ why bother? pretty sad.
>>
File: IMG_0209.jpg (575 KB, 1816x1012) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0209.jpg
575 KB, 1816x1012
>>14891756

>FUCKING 4TH GEN F-BODIES

I had one for years. If your buying used make sure you check it over good. They are rather prone to give you shit, at least my '00 Firehawk did. Also a pain in the ass to work on sometimes, especially if you intend to pull the engine.

>Pic related, my old Firehawk.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.