[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need your guys help asap please. I'm potentially buying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 8007.jpg (15 KB, 400x200) Image search: [Google]
8007.jpg
15 KB, 400x200
I need your guys help asap please.
I'm potentially buying a car tomorrow and the guy says he can't find his title, but he can go down to the DOL and get an "affidavit in lieu of title" if that works for me.
But how the fuck does this work? The DOL site says that form takes 10 weeks to process.
So what do I do here? If I get the affidavit in lieu what does that do, do they send him a new title or something?
I'm just worried about buying it and then him reporting it stolen.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
>>
Then don't buy it.
>>
Anyone?
>>
Use your best judgement. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
>>
>>14890935
back out bro you will need a bonded title and someone can claim the car. NEVER buy a car without a title unless it's parts only
>>
>>14891035
We are straight trading my car for his. Both are worth the exact same amount.

>>14891040
Fuck.
>>
>>14890935
Don't buy it until he's got the tittle. Car could be stolen, plus you won't be able to register it until you get the tittle.
>>
>>14891069
I checked it's Vin number, it hasn't been reported stolen. Unless everything has been swapped.
The DOL/dmv websites say you can use an affidavit in lieu to sell a car.
>>
>>14891078
Can you use it to register the car with that because that's all it matters. Check physically vin number see if it's been tampered, and if you still go for it then go with him to the dmv and register right then with him in front of you
>>
File: 00a0a_bgcI4RcT10c_600x450.jpg (45 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
00a0a_bgcI4RcT10c_600x450.jpg
45 KB, 600x450
>>14891112
This is the vin, it matches the car, year, type, all of that.
>>
I just called the DOL and they said I can transfer the car to me with the Affidavit In Lieu of Title and a bill of sale.
Could I still be fucked over here?
Sorry if I seem like a faggot, this is all just new to me and I want to make sure everything is covered.
>>
>>14891206
you can buy and sell cars with a bill of sale, make sure you can title and rego the car. Not sure of your state law but we require >>14891040 here if no title. sounds like you may be good to go. Is it a Durango? those have one of the worst reliability ratings for any car.
>>
>>14891299
I called the DOL and it sounded like all I needed is an affidavit and a bill of sale.
I'm actually trading him my durango. 8mpg is just not cutting it anymore.
>>
>>14891054

Car for car, title for title. He'll own both cars if you give him yours.
>>
>>14890935
>no title

walk the fuck away. Are you in the US op?
>>
OP here
Plot twist:
I can't find my title either.
>>
>>14890935
Use your best judgement. I bought a car with no title recently and it all ended well for me, the seller wrote me a bill of sale and gave me the receipt for his registration, I went to the DMV with that and they printed me a title, now all is good.

Like I said, use your judgement. Maybe go to your DMV and ask them if what you're doing is okay.
>>
>>14890935
One thing to keep in mind OP is that should the original title reappear it takes precedence over subsequent titles issued on affidavits or certified copies. If the guy's a douchebag he could conceivably lay legitimate claim to the car and sell it again.
>>
>>14891637
Holy fuck is this real?
>>
>>14891637
If the other person wrote out a proper bill of sale and both parties signed it, it'd be hard for the previous owner to just produce the title and say he never sold/traded it.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.