[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've made a huge mistake I was getting ready to install
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_7100.jpg (699 KB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7100.jpg
699 KB, 1936x2592
I've made a huge mistake
I was getting ready to install a new stereo in my 2008 Hyundai Sonata, misread the instructions, and cut the wires leading to this plug (pic related)
Is it possible to buy a new one with longer wires coming out so I can just attach it to the wires sticking out of my dashboard?
Or is there something else I can do?
pls help
>>
Just splice the wires back together
>>
>>14890426
This.
>>
>>14890196
nope. you're fucked
>>
File: 1426322276646.png (1 MB, 900x1174) Image search: [Google]
1426322276646.png
1 MB, 900x1174
>>14890445
>>
find the diagram for your cars harness. then match those direct to the radio harness. basically just eliminating the plugs.
>>
>>14890196
lol
>>
>>14890426
I cut the ends on the plug really short. Definitely not a 1/2 inch coming out like most instructions suggest.
>>
>>14890596
whyd you do that
>>
>>14890599
cause I'm an idiot with zero foresight?
I wanted as much length on the other end as possible, thinking nothing of the plug I was cutting off.
>>
>>14890596
A simple butt connecter only needs an eighth inch anon
>butt connector
>>
>>14890678
live and learn i guess
finding a replacement should be easy, just splice/solder from there
the majority of the time spent on replacing a head unit is taking the console apart
>>
>>14890691
Please elaborate as if I'm 11 years old

>>14890693
A replacement plug? I don't really know what to call it or where to look. I'm planning on taking it into a repair shop or a dealer tomorrow to see if they can just replace the wiring.
>>
>>14890718
Is what you cut the wire to the original stereo or the replacement one?
>>
>>14890718
A butt connector is a barrel shaped connection designed to hold an eighth inch of wire on each end.
You strip the insulation of the wires you would like to connect, insert them on opposite ends of the connector, and crimp tight, thus connecting two wires back together. Available virtually anywhere hardware is sold.
>>
>>14890790
Dude he cut the factory plug off, come on.
>>
>>14890790
Original.

>>14890831
I'm gonna stop by home depot and pick up a soldering iron so I get some butt connectors too. A lot of the wires are really close though so I don't know if I'll have enough space.
>>
>>14890839
Then how is this an issue?
Just look at the oem units wiring diagram and splice it with the aftermarket one
>>
Just get in your dash and write the harness for your replacement stereo directly into the wires you cut. Classic bad/no budget stereo installation. Leave the factory harness taped in there with an apology note to the next guy.
>>
Match and connect the aftermarket stereo harness to your wires where you cut the plug off. You wont be able to put the factory radio back in, but who cares
>>
>>14890918
That sounds like a good plan. Just to be clear before I cut any more wires, the wires that go into the plug go directly through the prong on the other side?
In other words, there's no complicated wiring inside those plugs? The plug's only purpose is connecting the two ends faster?
>>
>>14891323
That's generally what a plug does, it just allows you to disconnect those wires easily.
>>
>>14891323
Yes, it's just an complicated fastener.

You could even disassemble it and re-crimp/solder all the connections, if you wanted to be thorough. There should be some tabs that allow you to pull out the red section, allowing you access to the pins.
>>
>>14891355
Alright, I'll try this out when the sun comes up tomorrow. Hopefully this thread stays alive so I can ask about whatever goes wrong tomorrow.
Thanks guys I appreciate all the help
>>
>>14890862
>I'm gonna stop by home depot and pick up a soldering iron
Soldering takes a lot of practice to do well. You can't just pick up an iron and do it right.

Think about it anon. For what you need to do here you need 4 hands, how are you going to do that?
>>
>>14891657
>Hopefully this thread stays alive
Hopefully you don't. The world doesn't need more idiots that can't get themselves out of the messes they get themselves into. What the fuck were you doing messing around with your radio if you don't even know what a connector does.
>>
>>14891902
with a set of Extra Hands™
>>
>>14891925
Have fun jamming those into your dash. Pros don't use them.
>>
>>14891922
Just trying to learn.

>>14891902
Yeah I've since looked more into soldering and it doesn't seem like something I can learn sitting in my car
>>
File: haness pins.jpg (18 KB, 409x289) Image search: [Google]
haness pins.jpg
18 KB, 409x289
>>14890196
I think you'd have to remove the individual pins from the connector, then install new pins (or re-install) to the wires and re-connect them to the connector.
>>
>>14893034
That connector takes three different types of pins from looking at it, and you can't buy pins in quantities less than a thousand or so, they come on big rolls. Besides that they require special crimping tools to attach them properly unless you want to spend hours in pliers hell assuming you can source the pins.

OP just needs to bypass the connector and hardwire. No fixing this fuck up without soldering skills.
>>
>>14890196
look OP, easiest way to fix what you did is going to be to go to the junkyard, find a car like yours, and cut the radio connector off, leaving enough wire to work with. then wire that into your fuck up.
>>
File: crimp.jpg (7 KB, 283x283) Image search: [Google]
crimp.jpg
7 KB, 283x283
>>14893069
no soldering is necessary

Just get some of these OP, you can get them for about 4 or 5 bucks a pack at Walmart (near the auto section where they sell bulbs) and get some of those crimp pliers (also around 5 bucks)

It seems like every one here is trying to scare you or something. OP already knows he fucked it up, there is no need to remind him. Don't worry about it too much, just take your time and make sure you are connecting the the right wires together.
>>
>>14892156
>Just trying to learn.
Well then for fucks sake anon, don't make permanent changes unless you know what you are doing.

It is the absolute basic idea of exploring mechanical and electrical shit.
>>
>>14893130
This is what failures use that never learned to solder. Amateur level shit. Squeezing a wire between something is never going to be as good as joining two with a glob of molten metal.

OP needs to spend a couple months learning how to solder, then he can have his radio working the right way.
>>
>>14893686
>a couple months

Are you fucking kidding me, it takes two or three tries to get the hang of it, unless you are a total fuckwit like you, then it would definitely take two fucking months.
>>
>>14893130
dont use these. lol
>>
NEVER EVER CUT PLUGS when doing installs. Buy the adapters.
>>
>>14895370
ive always cut the plugs off. lol. having 2 extra connections is stupid.
>>
>>14895424
>>14895370
I've never owned a car that had the original plugs.
>>
>>14895424
Having to cut wires each time you change the radio or want to go back to stock is stupid.
>>
>>14895439
what? take it back to the dealer, that has to fall under a warranty issue.
>>
Why didn't you buy a bluetooth speaker?
>>
>>14895439
one did. lol
>>14895440
buy one stereo you want the fist time.

why would i ever go back to stock?
>>
>>14890196
Oh, just fucking splice them back together with a soldering iron you dipshit. Use longer wires if needed.

Soldering isn't hard, just don't breathe in the fumes.
>>
File: image_4.jpg (61 KB, 340x372) Image search: [Google]
image_4.jpg
61 KB, 340x372
>>14890862
Soldering is shit for putting wires together, it's made to attach wires to breadboards. The vibrations of your car will cause the solder to fail and then possibly ground out a wire.

Not worth it just use a butt connector.
>>
20+ year old vehicles have a warranty? lmao
>>
>>14895498
WHAT. NO. LOL
>>
>>14895490
Stereos break sometimes or a new one comes out that you like. Or you might sell the car and want to keep the stereo.
>>
>>14895498
Isn't there solder designed for cars? Also use heat shrink.
>>
>>14894802
nobody does nice joints on loose wires in two to three tires, it takes a while to get good
>>
>>14895498
kek, fuckboi car stereo fags that never learned to solder tell themselves this.
>>
>>14895647
No, it really doesn't.
Have you ever done it? Because it seems like your parroting the whole soldering is hard meme.

Tig welding.. yes. Soldering.. no.
>>
>>14895667
soldering is litteraly heating the wire and touching solder to it. its stupid easy with the right size iron
>>
>>14895667
>Have you ever done it?
yeah actually. i have been soldering for 20 years and for a couple years, part of my job was inspecting people's joints. the only people that didn't fuck things up had been doing it for at least a couple years. most often people would burn the shit out wires or they wouldn't heat things evenly and the only thing holding the joint together would be flux.

>>14895719
it's not though. if you are calling it easy i pretty much guarantee you that you can't join two wires, have it come out straight with out the right amount of solder and have it done in 3-4 seconds before the insulation starts to melt. if you solder slowly you are burning the shit out of things and you can't do it quickly until you have lots of practice.
>>
>>14890196
Looks like the DRL module
>nothingofvaluewaslost.jpg
>>
>>14895873
its damn easy. ive been soldering for several years. there is nothing hard about it at all.
>>
>>14893069
The dealer will sell you OE pins when you go in and buy a new plug. And the crimping tool is only $40 or so. OP could go and buy a new plug and pins for $50 from the dealer, find a pinout either online or from the dealers service dept (they will have an electrical schematic for the whole car) and spend half an hour stripping and crimping new terminals on the end of the wires and putting them in the new plug.
>>
>>14896102
or spend zero dollars and a half hour soldering on your new plug.
>>
>>14890718
Try the wreckyard first, I've gotten little pieces of wires and connectors that I needed from there many times, saved me some trouble and a good deal of money.
>>
>60 fucking replies to something as simple as this dumb shit
Jesus Fuck this board is hopeless
>>
OP here, I bypassed the plug and the whole adapter and just wired the stereo into the car, and to my surprise it's working

I just used crimping caps for the connection; they had come with the kit and were recommended for installing the adapter to the radio anyway.

I still have to figure out the wiring for the steering controls, but as for the problem I posted it's officially solved

Thanks guys
>>
I know I'm I'm late, but what's the fucking problem of taking the plug apart, checking the scheme and soldering it together?
>>
>>14895498
>Soldering is shit for putting wires together
Confirmed for untrained whitecollar duckboi. You tin the wires, you melt them together, and you wrap them in electrical tape. That's what it is for.

>>14895647
It does, but fortunately OP can practise first on some random wires. Splice them together, melt them apart, try again.

Soldering is piss-easy. I learned it when I was fucking 14. And, frankly, if some of the mouth-breathing morons I used to work with could do it, you can.

>>14895592
>Also use heat shrink
THAT shit is dangerous and hard. You'll melt all kinds of shit if you're not careful, including your fucking hand.
>>
>>14896524
Holy fucking shit. Heat shrink is fucking easy if you know what you are doing. Way easier than making clean solder joints.
>>
>>14895498
>The vibrations of your car will cause the solder to fail and...
You clearly have no clue how to solder. On a properly-done weld, the wire will fail before the joint.
>>
>>14896502
OP is functionally retarded and has never soldered before.
>>
>>14896162
If he's only left a few mm of wire coming out the back of the plug that solder job is never gonna be tidy and likely to break off
>>
>>14893686

The only thing on your average vehicle that needs to be soldered is data connectors.
Soldering radio connectors is tryhard as fuck and a waste of time.
>>
>>14896429
>I still have to figure out the wiring for the steering controls,

Those probably arent going to work with an aftermarket stereo, OP. It likely doesnt have the inputs for those at all.
>>
>>14897748
You do realize that interface adapters are a thing, right?
>>
>>14890862
>remove old connection out of connector
>crimp new one on the wire
>insert back in
>>
Its totalled
>>
>>14895311
Aircraft use crimps with environmental splices. If it works for aircraft then it should work for cars.
>>
>>14899610
Those are the heatshrink ones with glue in them? We have a bunch of them at work. They are legit, personally I still solder things but I can see they have their place if you were working on boats or super wet areas
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.