[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Downforce, Suspension or AWD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
Can a rwd car with stupid downforce and amazing suspension take corners harder than AWD cars?

I've only driven meh tier RWD cars so i don't know what it's like being in something top of the line to see just how grippy it can get by comparison to a GTR or a WRX.

Assuming tyres are standard, anyone who's driven really good RWD cars able to share some personal experiences?

pic semi related, i've taken corners at triple the advised speed in one, still felt like it had grip
>>
Shut the fuck up you retarded p-plater
>>
>>14880863
not even Australian you fucking shitposter

how does it feel having a nanny state?
>>
>>14880857
there's way too many factors involved to just give you a "yes" but pretty much.

my s2000 outcorners the shit out of my wrx that I had and I drove an Arial atom a few years back that outcornerd the shit out of the GTR I drove that same day.
>>
>>14880869
At least I can see my own dick unlike you lot of fatcunts
>>
>>14880875
dont like half of you have your dicks bit off by crocodiles
>>
>>14880873
thanks, anyone got any more depth on what causes this?

from my experience awd is pretty good, but i see a lot of cars like the konegseigggggggg being rwd, so i wonder if there's a benefit to cornering that RWD provides i may be overlooking?
>>
Last i checked F1 cars handle just fine without awd. They are basically just 2wd downforce machines.
>>
File: s2000 vs wrx.png (199 KB, 613x581) Image search: [Google]
s2000 vs wrx.png
199 KB, 613x581
>>14880972
FR benefits from more even weight distribution, ie less "tail happy". Less even weight distribution benefits from F4, ie relatively less understeer or oversteer to their FF or FR counterpart.
>>
>>14880857
Suspension is the most important thing. AWD with live/beam axles won't do shit in corners, no matter how much downforce it has.

Remember, beam axles and leaf springs are good for one thing, and one thing only. And that is carrying heavy loads on the cheap. That's why they're found on vans and trucks, and not sports cars.
>>
>>14881529
are the frist two rectangles to the left supposed to be the transmission and engine?

if you you are a dumbass because the wrx engine and trans is wrong
>>
AWD is heavy because 3 diffs

A small wheel base like a miata or s2000 is optimal for cornering
>>
>>14881552
Why is it wrong? It's about there anyway.
>>
>>14881552
Its the fuel tank, dumbass
>>
>>14881633
its not, the whole engine is lower and in front of the front axle, the transmission is shorter aswell

plus thats just subaru, in the case for example of cars like the GTR or some jeeps, the engine sit above and even behind the strut tower
>>
>>14880857
Compare a Porsche Carrera S and 4S... identical engines, identical chassis, identical tires. All things being equal, the 4S is faster on a track and has less turn-in understeer.

But weight distribution matters more. Audi and Subaru AWD models have poor weight distribution, with the engine entirely in front of the front axle, that hinder cornering more than it helps.

Power also matters. A Miata doesn't produce enough for the benefits of AWD to counteract the additional weight and drivetrain losses. The above mentioned Porsche does have enough power that the additional weight and drivetrain losses are inconsequential.
>>
File: yes.jpg (723 KB, 1080x811) Image search: [Google]
yes.jpg
723 KB, 1080x811
read filename
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.