[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I live in a city and I don't use my car often (1-2 time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Screenshot_20160419-140043.png (723 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160419-140043.png
723 KB, 1080x1920
I live in a city and I don't use my car often (1-2 times a month for a weekend trip, less than 10k km a year and 99% in summer).

What would the down sides be of buying an old Porsche Boxter for less than 10k?

Would this be miata tier gay?

PORSCHE Boxster 2.5, 9.1997 / 155'900 km, CHF 8'890.–

http://www.autoscout24.ch/3637243
>>
What's up with the exhaust notes on these? I've heard a few drive by at like 20mph and a few fly by at like 70, they sound kinda terrible.
>>
>>14880631
9x6's have a fair few issues, especially as they get older.

parts and labor are not cheap. If you're lucky, the previous owner maintained a perfect service history. If not, here is a list of common things that are a problem in early 9x6s.

- IMS failure is always a fear, not always likely, some previous owners will have them replaced at some point in the car's life. Should it kick out, it results in fairly considerable engine failure.
- Engine mount (Boxster) or transmission mount(911) bushing is prone to separate from it's housing, or crack/tear. This really fucks with the quality of the ride, especially when you brake.
- Bump stops perishing, top mount wear.
- Oil separator failing - Oil deposits eventually builds up in the intake manifold when these fail considerably, creating a fair bit of smoke every time the car starts or the throttle is applied.

The engine/tranny mount is the shittiest job of the 3, if you don't have a hoist and a transmission stand, don't even bother.

Outside of that, general maintenance costs are fairly high, the 2.5L litre engines take about ~7.5L of oil with a filter (maybe more, I forget). The 2.7L and 3.2/4L engines take 8.7L with filter.

Work on a boxster is also fairly tedious if you have to get to the top part of the engine, requires half-lifting the convertible top and removing about 4-5 panels of carpet, plastic and metal.

Even with a Boxster you will rarely drive, yearly minor servicing is still required. I've seen so many low-km barely-travelled Porsches come through, with service history from our shop, constantly come up with new wear and tear shit.

I work at an independent Porsche motorsport dealership, and I cannot stress enough how much of a shit idea a 9x6 series Porsche is. People buy them because think they are affordable ways of entering the Porsche name, but they are mediocre drives with fairly high maintenance cost. The longer you neglect it, the more expensive it becomes to fix later.
>>
The only people who call certain cars gay or girly are hugely in denial about their masculinity.
>>
>>14880631
why would you consider a car yet also ask "would this be gay"? Do you let other people decide your tastes for you?
>>
>>14880718
There are girly cars (any non-roadster convertible for instance) but I wouldn't call the Boxster one, maybe a little given the Cayman exists if we're talking 987 and 981 but whatever. An actual girly car is a fashion statement that has no redeeming qualities, that said it's clear OP just wants one because he's insecure as fuck and was stupid enough to buy into the whole HURR MIATA GAY nonsense but somehow managed to rationalize buying the cheapest Porsche (a white convertible no less) possible as not girly/gay.

Also did Porsche forget to put Windows on the Boxster? Jesus christ that's bad
>>
>>14880766
>>14880718
Not OP but maybe he just wants to know what others think about it?
>>
>>14880782
desu i see the cayman as a fair bit more masculine than the boxster due to the GTS and GT4 badges.

Comparable power to a carrera in a mid-engine configuration? Neato to someone in the world.
>>
>>14880786
If he's going to act like a manchild we'll call him on being one. The absolute worst thing for a car community is 13 year olds shitting on good cars for no real reason but hurr le interwebz saidcar was gay xd which gave them really bad reputations and dissuaded a lot of people from buying them
>>
>>14880799
The coupe version of any car is more masculine than its convertible counterpart, the Boxster gets a pass because it being a convertible didn't involve weighing it down or fucking the handling though, same story with most roadsters.
>>
>>14880810
A pass from being gay or girly*
>>
>>14880631
As a former Boxster owner (2004 Boxster S), I say...
- Girls and non-car guys think it's more impressive, exotic, and expensive than it really is.
- Every girl I've dated has loved riding in it and being seen in it.
- The 2.5L and 2.7L are under-powered for the car. The 3.2L 'S' has the power to toss it around and have some fun with it.
- Beware the plastic rear window. It's condition will reveal the car's true age and cheapness. 2003+ has a glass rear window.
- Parts are expensive, tires are expensive, and even oil is expensive (as >>14880709 said, it takes an excessive quantity of oil).
I loved my Boxster, but I sold it once it needed new tires and brakes.
>>
>>14880631
Men and women can drive a miata or BMW z3. It's totally fine. The only thing to remember is that both of those people love a cock in their mouth.
>>
A miata with a turbo is a better car than the boxster
>>
>>14882891
I bought 2016 Cayman in the fall. There is so much electronics on this car anytime I let it sit for a week or so the battery went flat. The dealer told me to buy a trickle charger. It worked but when the weather started getting better the last 2 months other crap started happening with the computer onboard. It warned me on 3 occasions that I needed an update so I had to take it back to the dealer each time. The other day I was driver home on the highway on a stretch where I hit 85 mph for 10 mins, warning light starts flashing, not sure what it was so I pulled over and smoke was pouring out from under the rear of the car where the engine and exhaust resides. It actually caught fire and was smoldering. Had to flatbed it to the dealer. Something malfunctioned. It's still at the dealer. I'm ready to tell them to keep the fucking thing. To much electronic crap on it anyway. It's a glorified Boxster. Don't buy a Porsche is my advice.
>>
>>14887088
I hear yah the Cayman is a glorified boxster.
>>
>>14880631

Hast du mal geschaut, ob ein Opel Speedster was für dich ist? Hier bekommt man die teilweise recht günstig. Du musst natürlich schauen, ob du einen guten findest, der in dein Budget passt.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.