[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's an appropriate price for a full paint job to a different
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: painting_car.jpg (56 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
painting_car.jpg
56 KB, 400x267
What's an appropriate price for a full paint job to a different color? I'm looking to get rid of the silver on my STi (worst color imo) and paint it a dark gray or black. Also, where would be a good place to find reputable painters? I've heard that Maaco is shit tier.
>>
$10k+
painting jambs is a ton of work
>>
>>14879548
Sounds about right.

How much prep work will you be doing, are you expecting them to drop the engine, or will you deliver it as a rolling shell?
>>
Just get a quality wrap. It will be half the price and last 10 years.
>>
>>14879589
Not op, but what do you recommend when it comes to wraps
>>
>>14879537
>want to remove boring
>to replace it with boring

Why even bother?
>>
>>14879548
10k is a fair price
>>
>>14879874
Only if done very well, obviously.
>>
>>14879589
Quality wrap
Millitry inteligance
educated american

What do these three phrases have in common?
>>
>>14879853
Vinyl, 3M is most popular, and can last a long time.

Wrap is better than paint in some cases, as it allows the next owner to select between the two colors (OEM, you can offer to take the wrap off once they sign paperwork) or the wrap color. Also, it actually protects the paint, acting as a sort of clear bra over the entire paint.

You can get a cheap wrap for 2000-2500 (material alone is usually 800-1200 for a car) and they will leave out the difficult parts, such as door jams, under hood, etc. Or pay for a quality wrap, which can be anywhere from 3000-9000 depending on a lot of factors (model of car, material, labor hours, etc.)

Wraps can be deceptive in terms of how difficult they are. Everyone buys vinyl and a heat gun, starts with the hood or door and says "I can do this!" and then it comes out shitty in the bumpers, jams, etc. There is an art to it, and you get what you pay for.

If you are stuck on DIY, there are a lot of good youtube videos, however in this case I'd buy twice the vinyl. It is a forgiving process (if you fuck up, all you lose is the vinyl, not damage your car) but not easy, fast, or cheap.
>>
>>14879894
All of them are spelled wrong.
>>
File: gizmo.jpg (6 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
gizmo.jpg
6 KB, 275x183
>>14879894
>inteligance
>>
>>14879880
For an average quality paint job
Very good expect like 15k
>>
>>14879912
Nah, they're not THAT expensive.
>>
>>14879912
Nah I was quoted $4k to spray a new BMW with factory paint from a reputable paint shop (not autobody shop)
>>
>>14879919
They possible just figured the spraying-on-paint, not the prep work and work cost in general.
>>
>>14879916
A full respray, yes

>>14879919
A fresh coat of paint that will rub off in a couple years sure
>>
>>14879923
It was a sand, 3 coat spray, 3 coats of clear coat.
>>14879923
All factory paint applied under factory specs.

I don't know where you guys go for your quotes. Jesus.
>>
>>14879923
>A full respray, yes

Hm...maybe I'm just too used to a decently priced shop where I go.
>>
>>14879931
>It was a sand, 3 coat spray, 3 coats of clear coat.

Sounds like not a full respray. As in taking out engine and interior.
>>
>>14879940
No you're absolutely right. They did the front fenders down to the subframe, but they did not take out the entire trunk liner and engine.

If you want to argue semantics, you're right, $15k to literally disassemble an entire car down to the frame, sand-blast the whole thing, ship it to the factory for a spray overseas, ship it back, reassemble it, and return it to the customer, $15k is a decent quote.
>>
$50 to $10,000.

Expect at least $5000 for a basic job that isn't fucked.

Google and contact painters you faggot
>>
2500-3000 for Autoflex. OEM quality and peelable.
>>
File: 1458025872947.gif (297 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1458025872947.gif
297 KB, 500x281
Paint and body worker here.

Usually color swaps are 20-30% more expensive than respraying the car it's original color.

To do it properly with all body panels taken off, all trim off, doors hung, bumpers off, etc around $8500-$11000 depending on the quality of paint and products you use.

Any body work will add to that value although most new cars need very little.

If you have a factory paint job, I'd keep it. The factory baked on paint is the best. A repaint on a newer vehicle with solid paint will never come back in the vehicle's value as well. I maybe get 1 person a year in the shop who actually does a color swap on a new vehicle and the vehicle itself is usually worth 60-100k.

You'll be able to find places that will do it for around 5k but I guarantee you'll regret ever giving them your car.
>>
>>14879537
Repainting in a different color will literally destroy the car's resale value. You are better off selling the car and buying another in the color of your choice.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.