[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I daily an rx7 fc for 2 years and never had a problem besides
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: received_1131857813533597.jpg (271 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
received_1131857813533597.jpg
271 KB, 1920x1080
I daily an rx7 fc for 2 years and never had a problem besides flooding it the first week, after an accident I had to buy the first car that came along, and I got a lasaber and every fucking week is a new check engine light! I WANT MY "UNREALIABLE"* RX7 BACK
>>
Been looking for a reasonable condition one for a while now (Ausfag) for a daily. Always liked them but was put off by the amount of shit talk about rotary reliability etc. Eventually said "Fuck it" and started looking for one anyway. Your words are very encouraging.

The only problem now is actually finding one, my best options are currently getting a clean rolling shell and sourcing engine + gearbox from somewhere. If you're into cars, don't move to Australia unless you have loads of money to blow or are ready to get depressed.
>>
Noice, been wanting a vert recently, I like my miats but it doesn't scratch the same itch as the FB I used to have. That thing flooded in the middle of winter once, poured a cup of ATF down the carb and replaced the spark plugs and it brapped again happily
>>
Never really liked the convertible FC3S, the soft top ruins the body lines... But they seem to be everywhere in California all practically mint condition. Almost feel like picking one up just for shits and giggles.
>>
>>14879413
Have you driven both the FC and FB? How was the FB like to drive? Actually more fun than the MX5?
>>
>>14879364
I DD'd one for 7 years and made it well past 200k miles with only needing a starter.
Rx7s are reliable as hell
>>
>>14879450
Only the FB, went to an NB from that. The FB was a bit more hectic to drive, threw out the tail more than the miata. The road feel was nice with the manual steering, comfy as fug interior despite the lack of sound-deadening. It was fun at lower speeds than the miats, probably because of the engine and wind noise. also pop-ups
>>
>>14879389
Australian here who's owned 3 rx7's. You need to worry more about everything else other than the engine - FC's are very reliable cars, especially if you get an N/A model. They last a long time (at least 300,000k's) before needing a new engine. Don't listen to the unreliability crap, it's just Americans who are too stupid to top up oil every so often, a task that is as hard as fueling up...proving the retardness of some people
>>
>>14879450
Fb's aren't bad, not fantastic but ok for their age. The steering isn't great, bit of travel in the wheel before you feel the car turn (only a couple of cm's but it's enough to make it feel a bit sloppy and VERY heavy at slow speeds). Engine is great, and has real character on the carby'd versions...suspension is okay, bit old fasioned and you really noticed it on shit roads. Overall Miata/MX-5 is much superior although the engine isn't as characterful (i have one now)
>>
>>14879508
Ah really good to know. Can I ask why you've had 3 though? Is it other parts of the car that fail, or do/did you just love them so much? Also, how much would you spend on a decent one, regardless of convertible or not, assuming the engine rebuild was not very long ago.
>>
>>14879500
Maybe I'll add FBs to my search then too. It's heartbreaking how few of both FCs and FBs there are out there, unless you're ok spending 15k or so on a restored/well-kept one.
>>
>>14879364
>realize I just saw one of these today
>didn't realize what it was because it was a convertible
>spend the entire ride wondering if they made vert 240SX'

holy fuck I feel retarded.
>>
>>14879634
Had a series 3 which was written off (wet roundabout, my fault I'm an idiot), then had a Series 4. Got bored of the Series 4 and wanted another first gen so got a series 2. All were N/A, and all were extremely reliable. No problems with engines at all. You just have to top up the oil (easiest shit ever, and it's only a little bit...people who say they cant afford one because it 'drinks oil like petrol' make me literally laugh out loud...I reakon I spent an extra 50 dollars per year on oil, and that was daily driving the things.
>>
>>14879634
Look at paying around 5-7 for a non-turbo first or second gen. People put a bit more on them but in my experience they're pretty negotiable as there isn't a huge demand
>>
>>14879445
Yeah that's my GF VERT if I were to post my old Coupe FCI would lose my anonymity
>>
>>14879719
They actually made 240sx Verts
>>
>>14879634
maybe 8 for a decent stockish second gen, wouldn't pay more than that though. Look for one owned by an older guy, with original wheels etc...safer bet IMHO
>>
File: BismarckArbeitszimmer1886rest.jpg (211 KB, 574x671) Image search: [Google]
BismarckArbeitszimmer1886rest.jpg
211 KB, 574x671
>>14879741
I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK ANYMORE
>>
>>14879741
>tfw no Silvia vert

One day.

The real deal are actually fairly rare apparently, but obviously there's loads of pignoses that got converted.
>>
>>14879768
They are super terrible m8.
Top comes loose and fills with air while you're driving. It's super hilarious.
Rust is insane and leaks are insane.
Not to mention the weight of it all and extra floppy chassis.
Yes I've driven one and been around many
>>
>>14879389
Rotaries are cheap as fuck in Australia what are you talking about
Check ausrotary. Com forums
>>
>>14879797
How much do an s5 rx7 goes for in Australia, my gf paid 800 use for her vert
>>
File: buttons.jpg (63 KB, 640x335) Image search: [Google]
buttons.jpg
63 KB, 640x335
>>14879768

> wheels
>>
>>14879805
Around 6k
>>
>>14879821
For a good condition turbo not a leaky rusty na vert
>>
>>14879816

I thought those were sliced bananas from the thumbnail.
>>
FB was my first car, dailied it for years. Seconding the engine being the most reliable part. It was the electronics I had the most issues with, and the second and third gear synchros weren't in happy shape either. But the engine? Not a single problem.
>>
The FB and FC are definitely super reliable, when I was a kid the family car was an FC and was driven every day for 5+ years before being sold for something more practical.

Its a shame that the FD suffered a similar fate as the RX8 being that a lot have been fucked up by people who wanted an epic fast car and didnt know it was a rotary.
>>
Na 12a and 13b can have the shit flogged out of them all day every day and run perfectly for decades, provided they have clean oil and are allowed to warm up before driven hard
>>
>>14879364
Where do you guys live that you can daily nice cars? I live in Toronto and worry the snow and salt will corrode them
>>
>UK
>almost every single FC that comes up for sale is a Vert

Suffering.
I could import an FC from nippon since they're super cheap there, but they're all tarbos there so say goodbye to reliability.
>>
>>14880555
Why not just buy a hardtop and install that?
>>
>>14880571
I don't think the make them, only hard top Verts I seen are Verts with welded Coupe tops
>>
>>14880555

Fucking this

Turbo FC coupes do not exist in the UK apparently
>>
>>14880555
>>14880797
Why do people hate the convertible FC so much?
I know they're heavier and not as desirable. But they're pretty rare, i'd have one just for the rarity
>>
>>14880811

Almost every FC in the UK is a vert

The car isn't relaxed and comfortable enough to be a good vert, and is no longer sporty enough to be a good sports car.
>>
>>14880811
Looks like shit compared to the coupe.
>>
>tfw no NB miata with carbed 12a swap
that would be best combo
>>
>>14880867
>post-2000
>carbed anything with an enclosed cabin
>not just driving with a laptop on the shotgun seat and adjusting your DI on the fly
Make it look like a battleship bridge from the inside already
>>
>>14880867
If you want to go that route, why not a carbed 4-port 13B instead?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.