[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ducting sound
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: fucking_stupid.png (24 KB, 1104x687) Image search: [Google]
fucking_stupid.png
24 KB, 1104x687
hey /o/ i have a question

my car has no front speakers, and no place to put them, and has quite a nice factory dash that i dont want to hack up. is there any way i can mount speakers under the dash and duct the sound into the un-used aircon vents? it doesnt need to sound mint but id just like to know if it'd be a horrible muddy mess and not worth doing
>>
If you have to ask 4chan. Odds are youll never do it fgt
>>
>>14877329

>theres no way you'll be able to install a speaker and a foot of ducting, its too hard

setting the bar low i see
>>
I mean... I guess you could do that??? there's nothing really stopping you.
>>
As the frequency increases the directionality of the sound increases. There is no "ducting" sound above low midrange (vocal bass). You can duct bass, you can duct mid bass, you can even try to duct upper bass, but there is no ducting anything that relates to stereophonic sound staging. Ducts are about resonant frequencies and bass.

Staging, stereo, and imaging are about precise location of high frequencies. That's why tweeters are so sensitive to placement and aiming. You can't duct tweeters.

That said, a long time ago I did an install in an RX-7 that was all about SPL. We installed midrange and tweeter high efficiency horns under the seats firing into the firewall carpets, knowing it would have shitty staging. It worked OK, and gave us a ton of volume. That was a long time ago. We can do a lot better today.

Learn about how frequencies are transmitted, cabin gain, and staging.
>>
File: HPIM2128_preview_featured[1].jpg (62 KB, 628x472) Image search: [Google]
HPIM2128_preview_featured[1].jpg
62 KB, 628x472
Just replace your driver's seat with an X-Rocker
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-18-19-36-22-1.jpg (634 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-18-19-36-22-1.jpg
634 KB, 1080x1920
I don't know what compelled me to do this, but I did it, didn't I?

And now you all gotta live with it.
>>
>>14877605
This
>>
Put them in the roof.

I don't know if this is a viable option.
>>
>>14877605

awesome, thanks for the info

>>14877723

this was also helpful
>>
Why not remove the vents and just find speakers that you can fit into them? Probably won't be huge but it'd likely work best.
>>
>>14877312
You're better off just using the downward firing speakers with no ducts.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.