[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So here's a question for the serious amateur or professional
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (371 KB, 3000x1687) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
371 KB, 3000x1687
So here's a question for the serious amateur or professional mechanics on /o/: How many tools of a given type do you need?

I grew up with a lot of tools of my own. Then my father died and left me with a ton his tools. Friends of his have died or moved and left me with more. Then every time I find someone giving away high quality tools I bring them home.

Started sorting out my tool chests today and I realized in some cases I have five or six of the same wrench or socket. Like thousands of pounds of Snap-On, Matco, S-K, Craftsman hand tools.

I don't plan all keeping all this shit but I also don't know what's considered normal in a serious garage. I'm guessing keep two of everything and sell the rest?
>>
Generally only one of each tool. The bigger companies all have lifetime warranty, if they break.
>>
For common stuff, say a 10mm combo, keep 2 or 3, sometimes you need to modify one with a belt sander or torch for a certain job
>>
>>14877441
>>14876996
Three. Two in the garage, because who can be assed to stop a project because you have to replace your only 13mm socket.

The third because I used to keep a moderately full kit in my jeep, three drawer slider tool box.

There is no such thing as too many tools, as long as you've got the space and they don't get in the way of you working (e.g. I can't find my 13mm under these dozen 1/2" wrenches! )
>>
>>14876996
It's always good to have spares
>>
>>14877441

You don't do much work, do you? You usually need two wrenches or whatever. One for each side of the fastener, or in case one breaks while you're in the middle of a repair and can't drive 50 miles to the nearest whatever.
>>
>>14876996
You have an awesome headstart.
Since I'm a tool whore I'd keep them all. They come in handy, even having more than one of the same thing.
KEEP AND ORGANIZE THEM ALL
>>
>>14877490
/thread
>>
>>14877836
I can't think of a time when I've had to use two combination wrenches together. I either use a socket and a wrench, or a combination wrench and an adjustable wrench.
>>
>>14878906
>I haven't worked on cars very much
There are times when my ratchet wrenches didn't even clear certain areas and I had to use two combinations.
>>
>>14878906
Nor can I and I wrench 8 hours a day, at least not needing two normal size combo wrenches, sometimes I use two of the same size but ones an offset, stubby, or long, normally on suspension. Either way I still have extras of the most common combos I use but it's more for the reason I posted before.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.