[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pros and cons.. I want a mini cooper real bad, but I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
File: mini_gen1.jpg (324 KB, 600x334) Image search: [Google]
mini_gen1.jpg
324 KB, 600x334
Pros and cons..
I want a mini cooper real bad, but I've heard that it's prone to have problems. Please give any advice you know on this car.
>>
I hope you're a grill.
>>
>>14876934
> pro
You don't have to explain to people that you're gay
>>
I'm a girl, assholes.
>>
>>14877116
Tits or gtfo
>>
Please just somebody tell me about this car. Whoever can't do that, can gtfo.
>>
>>14877139
Show us your tits, then we'll talk.
>>
It's a faggot car, even if you're a girl. Absolute piece of unfixable shit. Don't buy unless you have lots of expendable dough to sink in it
>>
My favourite thing about these cars is that they have fantastic visibility. I wish more cars had this much glass.

I can't speak to their reliability or anything though.
>>
>>14877139
It's fun to drive, not very reliable, heard bad things about the power.
But you could've found all that by googling it.
>>
>>14877146
This op. There's a reason, other than it being a fag car, that people talk shit about these things.
>>
>>14877126
Those rules do not apply here.
>>
Test drove one for my girlfriend one time.
Manual gearbox is very smooth. Ride is comfortable. Interior was a little bit cramped for me but I'm 6'4.
It was the turbo version, so I didn't feel like it was lacking for power. Cornered decently well. Chassis surprisingly not noodley.
Can't speak to the reliability, all the ratings show they're not the greatest though. Reliability is generally the last thing I care about when it comes to a car.
>>
From what I have read on other forums, the Mini Cooper is a hard car to work on. Where I work I have detailed maybe 2 or 3 of these cars and 2 of them had the check engine light on. The mechanics that work at my dealershiop tell me they have to take apart the whole car to get to a certain area.. too much money. If you want a Mini Cooper, get a new one under warranty. If not, there are many other cars to choose from that handle as well, if not, better.
>TL;DR
Don't buy this car. Buy something else.
>>
I understand I could have googled it, and I did. I'm not stupid or incompetent of finding shit out. I was just hoping to find some people who have actually owned it and to hear more opinions from them , their selves.
>>
>>14876934
Pros:
>Very fun
>responsive steering
>quick enough
>empeegees
>interior is nice for a small car
>hatch and collapsible rear seats means you can fit more than you think
>comfortable enough for long trips
>aight aftermarket
Cons:
>reliability(?)
My dad has one and has put 40k miles on it in the past two years in addition to the 20k he bought it with, no problems as of yet. I've heard approaching 100k and on things start breaking. I think steering stuff?
>is too small for some
>backseat isn't comfortable for tall people, especially if people up front are tall
>steering is too touchy for some
>parts are a little pricey
>girly car memes
If you aren't a poorfag, it won't kill you. Just budget in some buffer each year for potential repairs.
If you're a poorfag, don't do it.
Honestly, if you really like the car, fuck what most people have to say. The level of enjoyment you can get out of it should be worth it. I used to care about the /o/ reliability memes with a couple cars I've had, and it lead me to buy a car that I wanted less after I wrecked my BMW that I loved. The amount of regret I feel every day is painful.
Also, because I bought into the "get a Honda, it will be reliable" but it's been more of a reliability nightmare than a 120k mile BMW.
>>
>>14877176
Thank you, I absolutely love the looks of it , but I don't want to dump more money in it than it is worth.. I wish it wasn't prone to problems and expensive to fix :/
>>
>>14877193
Thank you !! This is exactly what I was looking for. Appreciate it !
>>
>>14877176
Meh, you have to take a lot of shit apart to work on certain Civics and Subarus, and you don't hear people whine about that.
The girls car thing does lead to a lot of poor maintenance though, so OP should be very careful about who he is buying from.
>>
Honestly OP, go on Mini forums and see how much people are having to fix and how much they spend. Hating Minis is a meme here.
>>
>>14877157
>tits or gtfo doesn't transcend all boards

Ok newfag
>>
>>14877246
>Someone called my Mini unreliable
>UR ALL JUST HATERZ FUK ALL YALL U DUN NO WUT U TALKIN BOUT MUH MINI DINDU NUFFIN HE A GOOD KEED
>>
>>14877157
Oh really?
>checks url
Yeah it's still 4chan
>>
>>14877302
Be honest please.. how long have you had it , what year, and has it had any issues ?
>>
>>14877302
You sound triggered.
I don't have one, but all of my experiences with male owned Minis isn't that bad. They do get bad over 100k, but it's hard to get an accurate idea of how bad from /o/ memers who don't have any experience with the car.
>>
>>14877336
I didn't know that they were so hated on here, lol. I was trying to talk to owners or previous owners. I just don't want to get stuck with a money guzzler.
>>
>>14876934
Original Mini, or nothing.
>>
My wife has a 2009 convertible S. The prince engine has a major design flaw that many direct injected engines have: intake tract carbon buildup from the PCV system. She had to have the heads pulled and walnut-blasted at 37K miles. Cost: $950. We went ahead and had the water pump replaced for another $300. Her brakes needed service at 38K miles. Brake pads and rotors needed replaced for front, pads for rear. Cost $2200. Tires are run-flats, last 20K miles, and even the base Contis at Discount Tire are $800 /set.

Let's just say these are stupidly expensive cars to own. I don't think a 4 series BMW is this expensive. I have a BMW motorcycle that I can do 90% of the service myself. I understand quality vs cost of ownership.

The Mini is designed to pry a lever between rich idiots and their money. The only reason I put up with this shit is because she loves her car so much, she makes more than I do, and happy wife happy life.

She has a new 2016 Convertible S on order. KILL ME !! kek
>>
Damn.. I love love love the car.. but I'm only a waitress at the moment and it'd be my first car..
>>
>>14877526
OK, here's the mindfuck.

They drive like go-karts, handle like they are on rails, and are a blast to drive.

I've had lots of little cars, but nothing can rail around corners like a Mini. They feel so good, and deliver a wonderful driving experience.

BUT YOU WILL PAY FOR IT. It's not a Honda Fit.

It's the Ferrari for the poor-ish.
>>
>>14877526

If you're a waitress and it's your first car: simply don't. Get something similar that is fun, reliable, and affordable, A Mini will punch your budget in the nut sack.

I'd do a 2nd Generation Fit with low miles.
>>
Try and find an original mini, much cheaper and more fun.
>>
>>14877779
I know it's not looks that always matter, but that car doesn't exactly appeal to me :/
>>
>>14877779
Thank you though
>>
>>14877505
>replacing the runflats with more run flats
Don't they tend to be shit? I didn't put run flats back on my BMW, and most people don't.
>>14877860
You could always buy a Miata.
>>
Friend of mine bought his wife a 2008 Cooper S from CarMax.
Its an automatic.
Maybe two years later the transmission took a doodie and needed replacing with a new one. Think he said something like 7 or 8k to replace.
Luckly they opted for the extended CarMax warranty and it covered the replcement.
That's all I really got for you.
They've had that car for 5 or so years now.
No other problems with it that I know of.
>>
>>14877170
I remember hearing the turbo versions can have some longer-term issues but I can't provide a source.
>>
>>14877246
not to be a dick, but I feel like on any dedicated forum a lot of the conversation would be over questions for repairs
>>
Own one of the new generstion base model

My thoughts:

Pros:
The new models are much better quality than previous generation. Especially engine wise, now has proper bmw engine on it.

Fun as hell to drive

Great look

Excellent handling, good braking, solid acceleration.

Cons:

Small as hell

Rough ride, you will feel every bump on the road

Parts are expensive
>>
File: IMG_20130130_111916_120.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130130_111916_120.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
Had 09 Clubman S. Used w/ 50k. Over $5k in repairs the first year (had a service plan, so not my $$s). Sensors prone to failure. Turbo died (also suspect for reliability). The thing was a blast to drive when it was roadworthy... Which wasn't that often. Dropped it after 1.5 years.
>>
File: IMG_20130130_111808_039.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130130_111808_039.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
Pros:
Drives line a dream. Super responsive and agile. Tore up the Blue Ridge Parkway. Solid MPGs and power to weight.

Bigger than one might expect. My 60+ year old parents could get in and sit comfortably in the back seat. And still have room for storage. Clubman size, mind you.

Handsome. I like the look... Your mileage may vary. Lots of customization options.

Cons:
Reliability (as noted above). Cost of repair.

Weird setup for switches, gauges, dials and knobs. Your speedo is in the middle? Wtf mini.
>>
File: IMG_20130130_112150_574.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130130_112150_574.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
In summation, unless you're gonna get some warranty or service plan (and a good one, at that) OR you are relatively wealthy, then you probably wanna pass on mini.

If you don't mind losing a few $k in depreciation/financing, you could hit up a CarMax type dealer and get one with a repair plan and drive it for a year or two.
>>
File: 2015-11-04 16.04.51.jpg (765 KB, 1386x788) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-04 16.04.51.jpg
765 KB, 1386x788
I love mine, 2012 R56 jcw with lots of Alta performance bolt on parts. Great fun, about to turn over 100k miles, no issues, just did breaks and original clutch is still strong.
>>
One of the people in my Auto club has one and he's always bringing his bike to meets because the mini is down so much.
>>
I have an 05. It's fun. I like driving it. Handles well and it's a good auto x car. And I've never had any problems.

YMMV. I know more people who had reliability problems than don't
>>
>>14877505
>Brake pads and rotors needed replaced for front, pads for rear. Cost $2200.
hahaha. you got screwed man. even on my bmw M a four corner job costs less
>>
I just bought one of these OP. Here are my findings.

Get an 06 R53. They're the most reliable of the bunch and most fun to drive. The R56 went to shit.

Avoid the sunroof if you can. Nice to have, expensive if things go wrong. Listen out for a rattle at both the top and bottom end, walk away if it sounds wrong. Make sure the supercharger isn't making a noise when it's sitting in neutral. Gear changes should be crisp, and braking smooth.

All in all, a good specimen is great fun to drive, especially on winding country roads. Like a go kart as others have said.

Take a look at this for more info:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=CvAAy_ock5oC&pg
>>
>>14876979

I'm a guy
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.