[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CVT complaint thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8
as much as i love the prius and realize its truly not a meme

the one issue i have, especially since i was able to drive it for almost 4-5 months this year with a bit of "city" driving but also back road non-stop but 35-45 mph driving

is that MOST of the time you'll feel the CVT find a gear ratio that results in a steady 80+mpg instant efficiency right at line between EV and ICE

but then other times it'll settle on one thats a bit too high an gives you only around 50-60 instant

and sometimes depending on the grade of the road it'll even be above 100 literally fractions from the point where it wants to kick in the EV but it stays ICE

my question is, since this is the 2015 Pirus C and pretty much the latest technology, what else can be done with it to FIX this issue, aside from manual transmission,

is there a way to have a paddle shift type feature in CVT's to sorta control the RPM/gear ratio you have based on certain situations without it screwing up the clutch/transmission?
>>
>>14876636

> /o/ has no opinion
>>
It's a Prius. Literally....no one gives a shit. It doesn't have an "issue". It drives exactly as it was designed...like hammered bird turds.
>>
>>14876636
Don't expect much here, this is an enthusiast board, people who are enthusiastic about driving tend to steer WAY clear of the prius, which is 100% about being miserly and quiet from point A to point B and 0% about the experience of driving.
>>
>>14878429
>>14878404

you could still have a indepth discussion about the progression of the CVT transmission
>>
>>14878856
you could suck a dick
>>
>>14878862
I could and I would.
>>
>>14878862

im sorry that you feel manly by speeding up only to hit the same red light i do except not at 15mpg efficiency
>>
File: dokimayochiki-061280x7w7iu.jpg (108 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
dokimayochiki-061280x7w7iu.jpg
108 KB, 1280x720
>>14878866
>>
>>14878880

pls dont make me fap to anime traps, i wanted this to be a serious discussion
>>
File: 1459307369061.jpg (18 KB, 700x436) Image search: [Google]
1459307369061.jpg
18 KB, 700x436
>Prius
>discussion
>>
>>14878945

its a CVT discussion you fucking imbecile
>>
File: 1397890888373.gif (2 MB, 359x253) Image search: [Google]
1397890888373.gif
2 MB, 359x253
I give it four more years till we reach CE Warthog's level of cvt
all we have now is computer controlled soft belts where the computer cant decide what it wants to do
>>
>>14876636
Shift to neutral?
>>
>>14879512

that wouldnt solve the issue
>>
>>14879522
I drive a 2014 Prius and I get 80 by coasting
>>
>>14879491
If a CVT was able to instantly respond it would be perfect.
>>
>>14879865

i get 80 coasting at a specific speed too, but sometimes you can feel the gear ratio settle on a less efficient setting and my OBD2 readout will confirm it by only being like 50 or 60

the whole point of a CVT is that you're not supposed to (nor be able to) "chase gears"

but in the case of traditional automatic ratios, the car is usually trying to get to that highest gear as possible to conserve fuel

but the prius almost seems like it still has some improvments needed, seeing the reviews of the prius 2016 the EV to ICE changeover seems to have more leway before engaging which probably helps with that

but i think this type of indepth review of the CVT itself is probably something a lot of ppl never talk about since if you just look at the HUD in the car its usually just around the same
>>
>>14879491

what is that pic from, also explain a bit more about what you're talking about pls
>>
The CVTs I've driven seemed to suffer from bad "shift" logic that way, almost like they were trying to emulate a geared transmission. CVT is a neat idea, but in practice it always seems to be some cheap poorly engineered garbage. Chevy is moving their performance automatics to 10 speeds to emulate what a good CVT could be.
>>
>>14879968

after spending a few years with the shitty Malibu Eco i can careless about chevy's gimmicks

same with the Honda Accord hybrid that also suddenly appeared in the 45+ MPG group that's filled entirely by prius' in the rest

if anything ill upgrade to a Prius Two Eco depending on the pricing, otherwise ill just get another C if the financing isnt negligible
>>
>>14879968
CVT's emulate a geared transmission because people thought the linear acceleration where there's only one RPM selected was weird. (basically killing the raison d'ĂȘtre for a CVT) Audi had to implement it to eliminate complaints.

Then they are made even more boring for eco-reasons. Subaru is the only company with a sort-of good CVT, and even that isn't too great. The technology simply isn't here yet.
>>
>>14880033

a single gear ratio would probably be better

either that or the ability to manually select gear ratios on the car's dashboard system similar to when you flip between "sport" or something in cars and the same as the "B" mode in prius'

the ECO mode in prius' definitely works at reducing the pedal from jumping around, as well as being able to ride the EV mode right at the edge of engaging the ICE which if you disable it, its almost impossible but there needs to be an additional feature

going full electric still isnt viable either cause even the tesla 3's projected miles per charge is only like 200 which is almost 1/3 of the prius between tank fills

and all the other electric cars is about the same just slower than the telsa (unless theres gonna be a way to make the tesla slower an last longer between charges)
>>
File: prius gearbox.jpg (63 KB, 786x492) Image search: [Google]
prius gearbox.jpg
63 KB, 786x492
>>14876636
It's not a CVT (continuously variable transmission). It's an IVT (infinitely variable transmission)
>>
>>14879963
Imagine how you think. All your senses mix together with existing knowledge in your brain so that you can drive properly. Now imagine only having numbers to work with. The cvt computer wont know whether its uphill, downhill, on ice, on sand, in Pakistan, sideways; none of that. All it can rely on is the inputs the other computers can give, hence why they never seem to be solid in certain conditions outside of flat road
>>
>>14880227

just call it a constant speed drive
>>
>>14883175
>he says in a world in which digital meters out-precise, out-speed and out-compute human senses by magnitudes
Because the human is so much better you now get to trigger the millisecond at which your airbag deploys with this button! Try to not be too late or you'll mash your skull or too soon or the bag will be already deflated and you also mash your skull!
>>
>>14883252
it's not constant speed though
>>
>>14883299

its keeps the engine at a constant speed no? At no point is the engine really constantly changing speed.
>>
>>14878404
>hammered bird turds
Fucking lost it.
>>
>>14883320
no, it doesn't, the engine goes from 0 to whatever the peak power RPM is depending on load
and a CSD keeps the output constant anyway, not the input
>>
>>14880227
Why the fuck don't they just go full diesel-electric and stop pretending it's a car?

Scrap the drivetrain, just hook the engine up to a generator and run that through batteries to wheel motors.
It's been working just fine on locomotives for decades, just without the batteries.
>>
>>14883335

I've been thinking this for the longest time, lets start a company dude.
>>
>>14883335
>>14883382
Because the conversion of physical motion > electricity > physical motion is energy inefficient. This way the ICE contributes most of its torks to the wheels directly. http://eahart.com/prius/psd/ This is nice to play with.

To be sure, I'd like to see a turbodiesel hybrid Prius though. Blending Japanese and German specialties. You could call it The Axis' Revenge.

What I don't get is why there is no 'fun' mode on any of the hybrids out there, especially the AWD Yaris.
>push button
>engine goes to 2x regular RPM
>electric motors dump all their power into moving the car and hold nothing back
>MPG does down but fun goes up
>>
>>14883492

hmmmm then fuck diesels lets get a really small turbine, a 100hp turbine can output as much torque as a v8
>>
>>14883585
Turbines have the problem of only having a SINGLE point at which they run efficiently. See the Abrams tank. Turbines burn 9/10ths of the fuel they burn at full load if you run them at 1/10th of the full load. Not so good unless you're, well, airborne.
>>
File: 111l.jpg (547 KB, 1280x782) Image search: [Google]
111l.jpg
547 KB, 1280x782
Why not just get a Ford Fusion?
>>
>>14883175

you're wrong about the Prius' computer not sensing the grade of the road, i actually had several humps in the route i took and when going up you can feel the car struggling, when going down it would shoot up the MPG and almost feel like you're not even using the gas

case in point one of the displays i use on my OBD2 app is the gas pedal position, i can usually set it right at 5% and maintain any speed after accelerating and even on a relatively flat straight highway road you'll feel the CVT changing the ratios which can either settle on one that gets you 80-100 or 40-50 at the same speed

thats the frustrating part cause its not about how fast or slow you go, since the launch part is usually the worst gas efficiency below the 20s, but i get up to 45 (the limit on this 1 particular highway with lights) and it's never consistant

it could also be that the Prisus even defines the CTV as having 3 different aspects, the launch, then the "coast" then the stop (now much engine braking you use)

ive seen sometimes where it takes a while before it finalizes the "launch" phase even tho im still going the same speed
>>
>>14883492

i expect the Tesla 3 to have a mode like that

or to be the first to offer one that does

you dont always need a 2 second launch for normal commutes, especially if it would double or triple the 200miles between charge which is a 1/3 of prius gas fills

and other electric cars get 200 miles as well but just launch slower, so the Tesla should offer a mode equivalent to that and they'd truly take over the market
>>
File: tesla-model-s-p85-review-2014_51.jpg (537 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
tesla-model-s-p85-review-2014_51.jpg
537 KB, 1920x1080
>>14883820
The model S and X already do
>>
>>14883942
anon said hybrid
>>
>>14883942

if you think manual throttle control is the same as the Prisus' ECO mode that restricts the trottle to avoid unwanted depress you're an idiot
>>
>>14878878
>not enjoying yourself between red lights
We're both going from A to B but only one of us sees it as a chore. It's about the journey, not the destination anon.
>>
>>14884723

getting from a to b isnt a chore to me, because i leave early enough to then laugh at the ppl switching lanes and riding my ass as i laugh because im in the middle lane with zero fucks to care cause the "fast" lane is actually going slower than me and the one on the right is just as slow so i even slow a bit more down, letting off my gas early to EV coast

then if traffic ahead is going slow just drive up to 40mph all on EV the entire time laughing

>barely a small enough gap for gasfag to get by
>they hit the same red light at 14mpg efficiency vs my EV travel
>>
File: 1317610982590.jpg (8 KB, 231x251) Image search: [Google]
1317610982590.jpg
8 KB, 231x251
>>14883793

My god.....can this thread get any more gay?

jesus-titty-fucking-christ....it's a god damned Prius. A PRIUS!

To complain about the shifting in a Prius is like complaining that dog shit tastes bad on white bread.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.