[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Engine rebuilds, who here has done one themselves? I really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 272x204) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 272x204
Engine rebuilds, who here has done one themselves?

I really want to get an engine I don't have to rely on and pull that fucker apart, whats a better way to learn than to just dive in and take your time?.
>>
>>14869852
if you're someone who can actually learn from others mistakes, rebuild it with someone who's already done it. it's not rocket science but there are plenty of places to make mistakes. otherwise, you've already pointed out the best way: read up, watch videos online and just fucking do it
>>
File: 1459996683608.jpg (73 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
1459996683608.jpg
73 KB, 604x453
You'll never finish. It'll just be a pile of parts sitting in your garage for years until your wife makes you sell it to make room for Muhammed's car.
>>
>>14869897
I've been doing that so far, only little shit but considering I didn't know anything I think I'm doing alright

>>14869899
Depends if the car and engine is worth it then it will be finished, not everybody is lazy
>>
>>14869852
when I was a kid I rebuilt lawnmower and other small-equipment engines. Always flathead, air cooled, single cylinder.

When I got older, I rebuilt a few 350's. The first OHV engine I saw the inside of. Good motor to learn on, everything's cheap, they bolt into a million cars, lots of parts interchangeability, and there's always more in the junkyard.

Recently I haven't rebuilt anything bigger than a moped engine.
>>
>>14869899
I'm not planning on dating or getting married so I'll actually have time to work on it.
>>
>>14870071
I've been thinking of rebuilding a 4 stroke dirtbike I have sitting around, is a 4 stroke bike engine just a much smaller and simpler version of a car engine?
>>
>>14869949
Its not necessarily laziness its just you run out of time, money, and willpower to fuck with it.
>>
File: IMG_20151119_211009re.jpg (699 KB, 2104x1560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151119_211009re.jpg
699 KB, 2104x1560
Rebuilt a Husaberg motor as my first rebuild.

It's lasted long enough to complete several races on, without anything failing.

Worst thing was having to use a big hammer to straighten the crank.

Kind of weird smashing a $1500 assembly with a hammer, to make it work better...
>>
>>14869852
I haven't done one but if there's a local car club for the same car go to a few meets. There will be a few people that have done the same engine and will come over and help you if you're stuck or let you borrow a specific unusual tool.
>>
I learned by reading the "How to Build a Small Block Chevy" book. Any book on how to build any engine will be helpful to teach you stuff like timing, valve lash, torque patterns, dealing with different types of gaskets, doesn't really matter if it's not for your engine.
>>
I've rebuilt a handfull of b series cummins, volvo THD100s, hino J08C and done a couple of in-frame rebuilds of MAN, cummins and Scania motors. shits pretty easy if you pay attention while you are pulling things apart. And when you go to put everything back together lay all your bolts out in matching sets on a table, it makes identifying where they all go much easier.
>>
>>14869899
>look at me guise i go on /pol/ XD
>>
jafromobile

/thread
>>
Junkyard engines are cheaper.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.