[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
2007 RX8
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_3258.jpg (139 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3258.jpg
139 KB, 800x500
So in the search for my new car I've seen some pretty interesting things, one of which is a 2007 RX-8 with 105,000KM for 6g's. Why the fuck shouldn't I? I could get at least another 100,000km out of it before the dorito shits the bed right? And as long as you premix everythings seems to be fine except for the horrible gas mileage, but we don't buy sports cars because they're good on gas we buy them to have fun. I know to stay away from 2004-2005 due to just horrible ecu issues. Anybody with a RX-8 to chime in?
>>
>rx-8
>sports car
it looks the part but it is dogshit slow.
>>
Buy it and report back
>>
>>14869167
5.7-5.9 seconds to 93 kph isn't that bad IMO. It comes with a standard equipped LSD and if I'm fiending for power I can always go forced induction later on, might not be that reliable though.
>>
You can get another 100k out of it provided the previous owners took proper care of it.
Oil changes, spark plugs.... easy as piss maintenance
>>
>>14869187
yeah that could work
>>
>>14869187
I've only heard that it's a pain in the dick to run FI on an RX-8 but that may have changed by now.
>>
>>14869362
You need a $2000 throttle body to run FI on an RX-8
>>
>>14869377
How can a throttle body be $2000? That doesn't even make sense
>>
>>14869159
I like mine

Make sure you test drive it first to make sure you grok what it's offering. It's one of the last of the screamers - being all revs all the time to make fast progress. It's an engine that asks you to work it and push it and drive it hard. It just begs to rev and the chassis can more than take it, letting you carry bags of speed through corners. Keep the needle above 6000, keep it singing, and it's fucking quick.

Looking after it's no problem. Change the oil, filters, plugs, and it'll run happy. The worst thing you can do is potter around slowly everywhere around town. The engine needs to be caned hard every now and then to burn off carbon. Not really a redline a day, but a quick back road blast a week.

So long as it starts fine when hot, you'll be grand. If it doesn't walk away.

Otherwise, what usually kills them is bad igntion coils. It's a silent fault - the first warning usually being a dead cat. And if youre never pushing the engine over 4000-5000 rpm, you won't even notice that until it's far too late.

Dead cats kill these engines. All that backpressure overheats the sideseal springs, pops the seal out. It grind around a bit in the engine before clipping a port, snagging, then shattering, taking the entire rotor and chamber with it.

Put a D585 kit on it, get a dwell remap and it's fine. The car's better for it by far. All the ECU issues and shit should be sorted and you can get them flashed if they haven't.

Run premix, keep on top of maintenance, and don't let problems fester. It'll last alright.

>>14869362
See above. Any backpressure on these is a killer. Any additional heat in the engine will start to kill those springs.
>>
>>14869159
If its of 100k km the dorito is already late in shitting the bed. You'll get 12mpgs for V6 performance.
>>
>>14869851
Mine's at 120 and still happy.

Done trackdays. Done carrying gear to a building site. Done frozen mountain passes in the dead of winter. Short hops for lunch at work. Done the commuting thing. Done long journeys with friends in the back. Done everything you expect from a car but die at the side of the road.

Just serviced it there last week. Fresh oil. Fresh filters. Fresh sparkplugs. Old ones were still in good nick inside, with just a little brown ash.

It's running fine and happy.

Look after 'em and they're fine.
>>
>>14869869
Hes buying it used, assume the previous owner didn't keep on the autistic rotary maintenance schedule, its probably living on borrowed time. And once agian, for the fuel economy you could have a v8 making a lot more power. If youve ever been driving your honda civic and said to yourself "gee, I wish this car had the fuel economy of a super duty pickup truck" then a rotary is the way to go.
>>
>>14869869
>>14869819
How bad is fuel economy be honest, like driving a truck?
>>
>>14869924
~12 mpg
>>
>>14869924
Around 20mpg

>>14869941
If driven at wot constantly, sure
>>
>>14869407
It's electronic
>>
>>14869924
10L/100km @120km
20l/100km Urban/Track

Much worse than that and you've something wrong
>>
Britfag here. Serious question. Why are used American car prices so high?

You can get an RX8 with about 40k miles on the clock in the UK for less than £2000. Which is about 2900 USD.
>>
>>14870018
Its probably got to do with the rx8 being less popular here, so its harder to find them used. The small displacement rotary helps you guys skirt taxes associated with larger displacement engines which is why you all like the hp/L meme. This isn't an issue in the US so there are plenty of other fast cars available here manynof which come with the fuckhuge motors that americans are so fond of.
>>
>>14869946
I've had 2 RX8's. A 2004 and a 2008 R3.

Neither got more than 14mpg in town.Low-mid 20's on the highway. My Z/28 with 505hp does better in town and highway.
This is why I find the idea of a new, efficient rotary to be a joke.
>>
>>14870018
>UK
>40k rx8
>£2k

No
>>
>>14870046

The first bit makes sense. But the taxes don't. ROtaries drink like a fish, so it's actually in the highest tax bracket in the UK. £515 a year VED. That's the same as the 3.6 v6 Cadillac CTS in the UK.

>>14870075
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mazda/rx-8/mazda-rx-8-rx-8-231ps-2005/5444272?v=b
>>
>>14870078
I thought the taxes there just went by displacement. My mistake.
>>
>>14870096
Nah, it's a really weird fucked up measurement by how much pollution or whatever it creates.

Like the Audi RS4 B5 is only £295 to tax. Produces more power than the RX8, or CTS and drinks more fuel than both.... yet cheaper tax.
>>
>>14870078

Wow. £4k will get you a limited edition PZ RX8. 33k miles...

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mazda/rx-8/mazda-rx-8-pz-4dr/5567104?v=b
>>
>>14870078
>>14870096
Taxes in Ireland were by displacement until 2008.

2006 RX8 annual road tax. E636
2006 350z annual road tax. E1800

Then it switched to emmissions.....

2008 RX8, E2500. It wasn't sold here after that
2008 370Z,.... wasn't even sold here.

The only big expense with them here is fuel. Tax and Insurance are both tolereable - especially for a performance car.

636 tax, 1400 insurance. Just to own it.
That's normal for most cars.... anything performance related would double either.
>>
>>14870169
>Taxes in Ireland were by displacement until 2008.

I think it was the same here in the UK.

European Union mandate.

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/taxation/other_taxes/passenger_car/index_en.htm

>The introduction of a CO2 element into the tax base of both annual circulation taxes and registration taxes.
>>
>>14870204
>they're literally jewing us to death

Good to know
>>
>>14869967
That sounds acceptable on the highway, pretty high for regular city driving though
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.