[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When will my insurance rates go down?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: la.jpg (32 KB, 600x440) Image search: [Google]
la.jpg
32 KB, 600x440
I really want to finance a car. I have perfect credit, but I'm 19 (turning 20 in 2 months). My insurance rates for any of the cars I want range from 220-300$ which is way too much considering I pay like $80 for liability currently. The highest I'd go for is probably $160... When did your insurance rates go down?

Side note: I'm not on my parents insurance
I've been in 2 accidents where I was hit and not at fault.

Any insurance br/o/'s or any advice for me?
>>
>>14867343
I wanna say it goes down a tad every year but you won't really see it drop off until your 25 I think.
>>
>>14867343
You're a teenager looking at newer cars. Of course it's going to be high. Go with geico and stop looking at cars from 2007 and if you want cheap insurance
>>
>>14867357
So essentially, there's no hope for me anytime soon? One guy in my class drives a brand new STi and he told me he pays 120$ a month for insurance and he's 21 and has State Farm. I don't get it ... He also said he's by himself on his insurance
>>
>>14867343
The first big drop will be when you're turning 21. The second drop will be at 23, and another one at 25.
>>
>>14867362
I currently have Geico. I've owned several cars and have about 12k saved + my current car but I don't want to spend all of my money since i'm in college it'd be unwise.
>>
>>14867343
>I have perfect credit
>im 19

No, you're a fucking idiot. Your insurance rates went up because if the car is financed, you must have full coverage so when your stupid 19 year old ass writes it off they don't lose their money. Full coverage is a lot more than liability.

Anyone saying it goes down every year/drops at 25 etc are all full of shit.
>>
I'm 22 and I pay 179$ for full coverage your insurance won't drop until you 25 assuming you d
Didn't get your licence at 16

Also if you restart a policy and you have it for a few years it will drop little by little as you renew it each year.

It will also drop if you move to a different city or it will go up.

My insurance dropped 50$ once because I moved
>>
>>14867378
Yes I know that. and I have a 780 credit score so I could get a decent rate. I know I need full coverage that's why I'm asking you guys for advice. Jeeze
>>
>>14867378
You have no clue what your talking about
>>
>>14867343
>19
>Male
> two accidents ( multiple not at faults during a short amount of time still represents risk).

Sorry man, this is just the way it is. Youd automatically be paying very high rates just for being 19, ESPECIALLY on something like an S2000.

For the record I use Geico as its cheapest for me and they paid out 20K no problem when I flipped my car.

Rates go down with time and a clean record, you should also keep credit score decent.

Mine was like $80 a month for a 2003 tribute when I was 21. That was full coverage through nationwide.

Then I started getting tickets and I totaled a 2013 mustang.... Its bad now. Like $1750 per 6 months bad. But thats for 3 cars. Next renwal it should only be $750 per the Geico rep because two bad tickets are falling off.
>>
>>14867367
I don't believe it, I had a 06 RAM and I was laying 200/month (with previous accident) with SF, my advise buy an older car or buy a motorcycle. Insurance on motorcycles is so cheap, I was very surprised after I called my insurance (Allstate now).
>>
>>14867395
I actually had a motorcycle as my first vehicle, I didn't enjoy it much because I was afraid of getting hit all the time.
>>14867394
Yeah, both of the times I was hit I wasn't even moving. Quite unfortunate, I guess I'll just have to wait!
>>
If you live in the middle of nowhere rates will be much cheaper. If you live in a city, especially a shitty area, it will be more.

There are a lot of factors so its hard to give you any specific age.

Some people that are 23 pay peanuts for insurance.. Some people that are 25 pay double. Just depends on many factors.

But from my own experience, once I hit 5 years of driving(at 21) my rates went down some 30% overnight.
>>
Insurance companies will see you as less of a risk if you show the intelligence to live within your means and no finance a car. Show them you think like an educated adult.
>>
>>14867414
I obtained my license at 18 so I don't think that will happen for me :(
>>
>>14867343
Talk to your agent about safe driver programs. This was years ago, but when I was 20 I took some class State Farm offered and it knocked my premium down significantly. Drove clean and it stayed low. In fact, my premium went up a dollar a month when I turned 25 because the safe driver program I was in only applied to young drivers. If your insurance doesn't offer something like that, start shopping around
>>
>>14867415
I currently always pay cash for my cars but I just really want a nice car I can enjoy with low miles in perfect condition
>>
>>14867415
Of course a financed car will drive rates up because normally the car will be worth more than one OP can own outright.

If you can budget and make the payment I dont see how thats anyone's business but his own.
>>
>>14867410
Ah well then never mind on the motorcycle. Shop around I know for full coverage on a 04 corolla SF wanted like 220, went with Allstate for $130 instead.
>>
>>14867428
I'll look into this, thanks!
>>
>>14867423

Now I understand. lol

Of course your rates are extremely high youve been driving only 1 year. Basically a new driver as far as the insurance companies are concerned. And having already been in two accidents... the statistic models they have dont speak well of you.

At 3 years of driving and 5 years, expect lower rates. Also, buy something like a $1500 explorer 5.0 or something to have until you can afford something better with full insurance.
>>
>>14867463
My parents bought my brother an explorer, but he couldn't drive manual and he gave up too quick and they sold it. Then they didn't buy me a car so I ended up buying my own. I've owned 4 since then and also a motorcycle and I can't find anything I truly like because of imperfections.

Current car: 06 xB which is pretty messed up
>>
>>14867378
>Anyone saying it goes down every year/drops at 25 etc are all full of shit.

True. I turned 25 and my rates ddnt drop, turned 30 and rates didnt drop, got married at 37 and my rates got cut right in half. I was paying $500/yr for my sportbike and now I'm only paying $110/yr.
>>
My 01 AP1 was the same rate as my 04 accord I had. I pay 200 and I'm 23 on long island
>>
Married
Homeowner
>>
>>14867362
>stop looking at cars from 2007
I could be wrong, but I believe newer cars a cheaper to ensure than shitboxes almost 10years old
>>
>>14867343
Guess what, little feggilton. Youre 19. No matter what but age will always cost you a ton more.
Im also only 22 and I'd have to pay a fortune, but im running it trough my 30 year old brother. Hes also nationalized which brings it down even more.
>>
File: 1458611172140.png (126 KB, 210x339) Image search: [Google]
1458611172140.png
126 KB, 210x339
>>14867343

>tfw 19 with an at fault accident from when I was 16 still on my record until i'm 26
>tfw just got a no frills quote for a fucking Hyundai Excel and a 1979 Datsun for $300+ per month
>>
>be Ontario
>confused when people complain about paying 300/month for fun cars
>remember I live in Ontario
>>
>>14867343

>mexican rear ends me while I'm at a stand still trying to make a left turn
>insurance rates go up forever because lol accident

Why the fuck is this jewry allowed.
>>
>>14869342
Build a wall.
>>
>>14867343
Former NY GEICO employee here. So in essence this is how it works. For three years after you get your license you'll have an inexperienced operator penalty that will cause the rates to go real high. Take a DD course to somewhat help with the rate, tell them you drive less than 7500 miles a year, get a 4 door car, with a 4 banger. Otherwise it really depends on where you live. You'll have the best rates when you're in your 50s.
>>
Don't get tickets

you'll have to wait till you're 25 faggot
>>
>tfw 3 speeding tickets and two accidents in an 18mo period but Progressive will insure neat $280/Mo
>>
>>14867343
Suck a fucking dick I'm 22 with 2 years no claims and still pay £1500 (around $2100) a year on a small 1.2l shitbox count yourself lucky
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.