[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First car thread 2.0: Butthurt Boogaloo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: VOLVO-XC70-1269_24.jpg (784 KB, 1920x914) Image search: [Google]
VOLVO-XC70-1269_24.jpg
784 KB, 1920x914
Hello /o/

I've been looking into a first car, budget is fairly flexible but trying to keep it under $40k. I need something that's super comfy with a soft ride, fairly easy for my handicapped ass to get in and out of with minimal assistance, and won't hurt my butt or back for long periods of time.

I've been looking at entry-level luxury cars, including...
>Volvo XC70
>Volvo XC60
>Volvo S60
>Buick LaCrosse
>Buick Regal
>Buick Encore
>Lexus IS
>Lexus ES
>Lexus CT-H
>Lexus NX
>Lincoln MKZ
>Lincoln MKC

Right now the list is fairly large, but I'm hoping to narrow it down to a handful of cars.

It needa to be super comfy, a d handle shitty bumpy roads well. Manual or automatic, I don't really care... I'm not getting a performance car. Besides that, it needs to be practical.

I was originally looking into cars like the Focus/Fiesta ST, Chebby Camaro, BRZ, but when test driving those my back felt like absolute shit and I could barely get out of them even with my cane.
>>
File: 1406805677729.jpg (183 KB, 1162x850) Image search: [Google]
1406805677729.jpg
183 KB, 1162x850
>>14866966
>first car
>$40k
>>
civic is always the answer

Buy a new Type R and become /o/'s envy for a bit
>>
>>14867005
I originally suggested just having my dad give me his Camry, but he's fucked that car up with so much improper care over the years. Plus, I have a difficult time getting in and out.

Yea, my parents are buying the car, and they refuse to buy anything used. I'd love to get a Panther or some old land barge and save them money, but they're insisting I get a new car.

>>14867015
Test drove the nee Civic and the last model Si, the Si suffered the same problems that the FiST/FoST/BRZ/WRX had, which the suspension was way too stiff and by the time I was done with the test drive my back gave out and I needed assistance getting out of the car. The new civic wasn't too bad though.

How are Acuras in terms of ride quality? I've seen a lot of older folks driving Acuras where I live.
>>
File: 252.jpg (1 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
252.jpg
1 MB, 2688x1520
>>14867049
Volvo S/V60 Polestar, $35.000 MSRP
>>
File: 124141.jpg (262 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
124141.jpg
262 KB, 2048x1152
>>14867082
>>
They won't buy old cars? Buy a 1 or 2 year old car. Private party, preferably with less than 15k miles. Most of those are sold by people who have fallen on hard times and need to get rid of the expensive ride or are rich spoiled idiots looking for a new momentary distraction.

Cars literally lose like 20%of their value rolling off the dealership lot. Do not be the guy struck by this loss of value. Let someone else take that fall, then buy the car off that guy. 1 or 2 year used, really low miles. You WILL be able to convince your parents to go with this point at least. That instant depreciation is fucking horrendous. You'll save them 10k. They'll be grateful but not show it to you.
>>
If you don't care about sporty driving, I highly recommend the Buick lacrosse. I've been driving my grandfather's 2013 and the interior is excellent, the stereo kicks ass and the ride is super comfortable. The 3.6 makes pretty good power too.
>>
>>14867188
This
>>
>back and Ass problems
>back gave out driving si
>has cane
>needs to be easy to get in and out
>shopping for first car

Man I wish my mom and daddy took care of me like you.

You probably don't even have a job do you? You probably shouldn't even be driving
Also WTF is wrong with you? Arthritis?
>>
>>14867531
Nope, I'm a student.

Mix of problems, reoccurring pilonidal cysts on my butt, as well as nerve damage in my lower back. I can drive, but I only drive on days that I feel good enough to. But the unconfortable cars I drive now cause my pain to be more prevalent. Just causing this vicious cycle of pain, not being able to drive, etc.
>>
>>14867603
You only get pilondial cysts while sitting for long periods of time which will eventually turn into pilondial sinus surgery.

Don't tell me your one of those fat neck beards that sit on his computer all day and night wear carpal tunnel hand braces and your mom just brings you your dinner because you don't want to get up.

Maybe I understand your pain. But having your parents buy you a car is no way to teach you and discipline.

>I have severe arthritis in my spine
>I work at Honda as a mechanic and throw my back out alot
>still come to work because can't afford to lose my 2015 civic or my house
>mfw when I'm 22.

All degrading aside I would shoot for a Honda pilot with running boards or an acura mdx with running boards so you can step up into it. They are soft on the ride too. Also buy one of those striker plate handles you can stick into it so you can pull yourself out and lower yourself in
>>
>>14867686
I've had 4 surgeries on my cysts, and they've come back every time. When they first appeared, I was active, I'd sneak off to go innawoods, was on my school's marksmanship team.

The nerve damage from an accident is the other killer. I lived fine with the cysts on their own, but combined with getting run down and having to learn to walk again that's what makes it all awful.
>>
>>14867049
Your back gave out? Are you a 450 pound woman? What a bitch you must be.
>>
>>14867766
I'm 180 pounds

I don't think you quite understand the situation I'm in.
>>
>>14867742
Your fat aren't you? Those cysts always show up on fatties who sit on their ads all day.
>>
>>14867742
I take back everything I said about you m8
My apologies.

I would still consider either the pilot or mdx those things just glide over potholes
>>
File: 1460599444585.jpg (164 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1460599444585.jpg
164 KB, 1024x1024
>>14867776
No, they first developed when I was skinny, I did gain weight but lost it before the 2nd surgery.

After the 4th surgery the surgeon said I risk even worse permanent damage, and I got a second opinion and their consensus was the same.

I'm just unlucky, and apparently pilonidal cysts can be genetic as well. My dad has one, but never bothered by it. Another problem that is I have crohn's, which is another factor in developing cysts. In comparison, I have 3 of them, one is probably in the worst possible spot.

>>14867815
No, it's not a big deal. I get told to suck it up and move on all the time, but it's not that easy. I go to physical therapy on a daily basis, watch what I eat, and try to stay as active as I possibly can.
>>
>>14867841
So bruh, will you try to make that point to your parents >>14867188 ? It'll be good for your finances at least. I'm in Yurop so I can't really recommend any of these American cars.
>>
>>14868066
For sure, I've tried before, but I'll be trying again.

Why do luxury cars and sports car depreciate so quickly? It's a little mind boggling that someone will buy a car and the second it leaves the lot it's worth several thousand dollars less.
>>
>>14868082
Different reasons, but there is some overlap. Basically, both of them are often tuned to utter perfection. To an engineer this means that the engine is essentially a pressure cooker with hairs-breadth tolerances. They wear out fast and all the spare parts are horrendously expensive. If you don't treat them like your darlings and only feed them the finest octane and oils then they easily clog up and kill themselves.

Luxury cars have the extra issue of being a car, already a deprecating asset, blended with a fashion item for the super rich. "Oh, you're driving last years ultra-luxe land barge? How plebian, Sally and her husband already bought eight of this year's." It doesn't matter for shit that the machine is perfectly fine, if there's a new one you can go fuck yourself in those circles. And since those circles are the only ones that can keep up with the maintenance and repair costs... you see where this is going.

Sports cars have the issues from the first paragraph times a hundred because they're often driven by hooning retards who desperately want to make the engine block explode. Oil change? What's that? Oil temperature? Hell yeah my ride is flaming hot!

If you want to know specifically why cars that roll off the lot lose so much value you should look up Longpostguy's threads on car salesmanship. Basically, as soon as it's not NEW condition anymore, you cannot sell it as new, so it's used, so the dealerships have to mark them the fuck down when they buy them so they can sell them at any profit as used again. Smart money is buying them before they reach the dealerships, this is why I said you should buy private party. Cut out the middleman, save everyone money.
>>
>>14868174
>>14868082
I'm still waiting on a response to that!
>>
>>14869727
Sorry, went to Physical Therapy and took a nap.

I appreciate it. I think right now my parents concern is "well we don't know how they took care of the car for 1-2 years". How can I guarantee that the owner took care of their car, or would that be something done on the dealership side?

I just want to give my parents peace-of-mind when buying the car.
>>
>>14869793
There should be a booklet inside the car that they get stamps in from the shop that does the oil changes. Generally that can be expected to exist on cars that young. It is to verify at which invervals the maintenance was done and so that the next mechanic can tell what is and isn't necessary. I think it is called a service history in English. Since most new cars have some sort of deal that lets them get service in a shop for free for the first one or two years there's no reason it should not have been done.
Just how rich is your family?
>>
>>14869844
Not super rich, middle class-upper middle class maybe?

We save money by living in a condo, cooking our own food, buying in bulk, etc.
>>
>>14869919
Makes sense.

Remember, check the service histories!

Another caveat: often, when the people you want to buy from are on the not-so-affluent side, the cash they'll demand from you is going to be whatever they have left on the loan for the car. Do not let this cause you to pay more than you'd want to pay. Really, you should read Longpostguys' threads. You can only learn from him.

http://archive.4plebs.org/o/search/tripcode/!!9TEWI1TbGdH/type/op/

Just go to the last page and work yourself forwards to today. You can only learn from a used car salesman.
>>
>>14866966
S60 is really tiny and will be all new in a year or two, the same with the rest of the volvos. I went with an Acura TLX and it gives you great value while still being somewhat fun to drive.
>>
File: YA_800.jpg (81 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
YA_800.jpg
81 KB, 800x531
>>14866966
impala, 9th gen. under $6k.
>>
Still bump for you. You need to read thos threads for your own good.
>>14869919
>>
>>14867049
I have a 2012 Regal. My friend has a 2012 TL. The Acura is a little stiffer than the Regal but softer than a Camaro.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.