[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cheapest form of motorsports
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
This is it. Fuck everything else in my life. I'm about to have a 90k/year job and I stopped caring about everything thing in life. No real friends, kissless virgin (because of social retardation), never going to be millionaire, don't want any kids so now I just want to work and race.

I am 23 and although I am not a mechanic, I really want to get into racing. I don't care living in a shitty apartment as long as I have a bed and fridge. I'll blow all my money on racing, I should be able to live on less than 10k a year and put 80k into racing.

I will never be professional, I am aware of that. What would be the cheapest and most likely way to go pro (even if it is impossible)? I really thought about rally racing, seems the most fun and barebones.
>>
LeMons

/thread
>>
definitely rally, you don't need a track and there are loads of amateur leagues/sponsors
>>
>>14859863
I'm from Quebec by the way
>>
Karts are the classic initiation to racing - nothing develops your skill quicker. You do realize that you will almost certainly never get anywhere in racing. The really good people got shoved into a cart by their parents before they started school.
>>
>>14859857
Save your money and buy a FUCK LOAD of agricultural/unzoned land
Build rallyX course thru your hundred acre farm
start your own league, and charge for membership, admission etc.
Use the funds to maintain your PERSONAL track and expand it while possibly sustaining you after a while.
>>
>>14859903
I did a lot of karting when I was younger but never competitively. Yes I am aware, that`s why I said fuck my shit up I don't care
>>
>>14859857
When you get to the top, you ever been to the top?
Just listen, let me tell ya, hear what your missin', shut up and listen.

In the beginning you get crazy, spending all the money you got.
No more women to love you now, you gotta go and leave town.

Back on the rocks, back on the rocks!
Be there! You got to keep your mind together.
Back on the rocks, back on the rocks!
Be there! You gotta go and live forever.
>>
i like and fully support your reckless abandon op. its people with attitudes like yours who are able to achieve their wild dreams. do it and dont compromise.
>>
Is motorcycle racing better? In terms of cost and possible semi-pro career?
>>
If you weren't making alot of money then I would disagree with the idea, but 90k a year is alot to play around with and your chances of doing something truly great are much higher. Also remember the tax man will take a large portion of that 90k once everything is said and done.

If you really do feel that you can't have a woman and love and raise a family, that's fine. Don't start a family unless your willing to devote everything you could possibly imagine to it. That's one of the things in life that should never be half-assed.

That said, follow your dreams. Here in the US we have SCCA and NASA. To get your race license you have to go to a school usually and that costs about $5-8k. Then, you have to build, or buy, a car that is legal for whatever class you plan to run. For example, used Spec Miata cars can be bought for about $10k and then plan another $5k in getting it perfect. Budget another $5k for all the equipment you will need like clothes, helmets, radio's, a seasons worth of tires, etc.

By the time you go from nothing to entering a race it is probably going to be $30k. That number goes up with the competitiveness of the class you plan to enter.

Start off with something small and get alot of seat time. Learn how to drive precisely at speeds upwards of 80mph.

Personally, I would invest in a place to do this before actually doing it. Pick a place with a space big enough to put a shop that is close to a race track. Once you do that, pick the class you want to run in and then pick the car you are going to use. Once you have the car in your shop, begin buying tools and shop equipment. Start off with the basic fabrication stuff. Metal saw, angle grinder, die grinder, tubing bender, drill press, MIG welder, TIG welder, etc. Look at Eastwood, as they have most of the stuff you would need to get started. They also have helpful videos to learn from.
>>
>>14859865
In Europe maybe, I there are no rallies where I live, it could just be that I live in a shit state though.
>>
File: IMG_0045.jpg (2 MB, 4608x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0045.jpg
2 MB, 4608x2592
>>14860012
As far as motorcycle racing goes, the cheapest thing you can do is dirtbikes. You can buy a bike for sub 3k easily, (under 1500 on a budget.) Just decide if you want to race on a track or do woods racing. Both are fairly physically demanding though, so you want to be in decent shape.
>>
>>14860057
USA here too

I bet you just aren't looking hard enough, from what I understand leagues don't do a lot of advertising. They are definitely there though, if you can't find anything online you can try going to the nearest track/racing area and i'm sure there will be flyers or something. That's how I found my group anyway
>>
Rallycross, folk racing, trials/rally or LeMons

That's what I know you can do on a budget. Since I'm poorfag, the highest price you need to pay is for a racing licence and for prepping your car (minimum safety gear in the uk costs about 1,300 quid)
>>
>>14859857

>90k/yr
>never be a millionaire

>$90000 x 12 years = $1,080,000
>>
Just get into digital racing, It's cheaper.
>>
>>14860144
Fucking filthy casual
>>
>>14860215
>Casual
https://youtu.be/VJcQvXuHxkg

Only if you don't invest yourself.
>>
>>14860222
It seems ridiculous to me, Why would I this when I could have an actual track car for the same amount of money?
>>
File: RIP.webm (3 MB, 1280x690) Image search: [Google]
RIP.webm
3 MB, 1280x690
>>14860271
Because.

>Tires
>Repairs
>Track fees
>Hauling your car
>Tools
>Safety equipment
>Planning for an entire weekend off pending how far your track is
>Only have 1 track and 1 car vs many
>>
>>14859863
LeMons is retarded now. Our school club team went and people spend tens of thousands of dollars making high HP machines that "look" bad.
>>
>>14860279

Don't you automatically lose if you spend that much money, even if you come in first?
>>
>>14860278

>planning for an entire weekend off

You know, you usually get those days off here in the US.
>>
>>14860306
Yes you get days off.

But not everyone lives 10 miles to a track. In my case the nearest reasonably priced track is 1 hour 10 minutes away. The other track is is an hour and 20 away and requires you to have a $6,000 USD a year membership just to get on the track.

Also there is this little tid bit.
Since you can't have tools or parts in your car, you either need a truck and a trailer or at least a trailer for your parts/tires/tools for the weekend. Considering it is the most retarded thing to track your DD you are going to want a second vehicle with at least a two wheel hauler for your track car.

Digital is a fantastic alternative, while you experience none of the geforce you can still have a good time, especially if you have a league to play with.
>>
>>14859903
>there was a kart circuit and club just outside my town and my mom didn't instantly put me there
fuck my life
>>
>>14860347
If you only like digital cars and not real ones why the fuck are you here? Go back to /vg/
>>
File: 1459051346820.gif (559 KB, 400x276) Image search: [Google]
1459051346820.gif
559 KB, 400x276
>>14860405
Could you bait harder?
>>
>>14860405

>gives an explanation
>proceeds to shit post.

come on anon
>>
>>14859857
autocross or rallycross. You can drive a 100% stock car and still compete.
>>
>>14860112
$90000 x 0.55 (45% tax ) = 49500
$49500 - $10000 (cost of barebones living as estimated by OP) = $39500
$39500 x 26 = 1,027,000

even assuming he gets pay raises to offset inflation,
even assuming inflation doesn't devalue the first 15 years of savings
it's not worth living on ramen for 26 years just to call yourself a millionaire.
>>
>>14859927

Good answer, if op is really pulling down 90k with little expenses then it's actually doable
>>
>>14860112

Yeah cause the money is all under the table and also mommy and daddy pay his rent, right?
>>
>>14860513
>doable
>he would need at least 500k saved to buy the land first
>>
>>14859875
Track days at St-Eustache, Sanair, etc ...
>>
File: Ulster GP.jpg (10 KB, 299x169) Image search: [Google]
Ulster GP.jpg
10 KB, 299x169
Motorcycle road racing if you have it there.
>>
>>14860771

Why, does op have bad credit or something?
>>
File: 1454461510154.jpg (103 KB, 468x248) Image search: [Google]
1454461510154.jpg
103 KB, 468x248
>>14860975
>buying land on credit
>>
>>14860981
Yea, only retards do that. It's much better to save for years while prices go up, up, up.
>>
>>14861009
>Pay a little bit more
>instead of a hundred thousand
>>
>>14859857
Oval Track but its hard to get noticed in that kind of racing unless youre some sort of god

Now Dirt track racing is just like figure 8 and oval track and all that shit but its dirt cheap if you want to run in say the FWD 4 banger class. hell even thunderbombers and super stocks arent all that expensive
>>
>>14861013
>a bit more
>because saving 500k is easy
>>
File: 4chan-4.jpg (422 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
4chan-4.jpg
422 KB, 1000x667
>>14861026
Hell, there's a lot of dirt track that's welded transmission big motor in a roll cage that's laughably covered in sheet metal.
>>
>>14861026
I fucking love clay tracks.
>>
>>14859857
I'm in a similar situation to you. I chose drag racing. Cheap fun and harsh on your car. You will learn how to wrench
>>
>>14859857
Entry-level rallying. Buy a shitbox, put in a rollcage and a harness, run it until it breaks.

Or possibly banger racing. You just need an old busted car from a scrapheap with a few mods and everything breakable or dangerous removed, a van full of tools, a trailer for the car, and some safety gear.
>>
>>14859857
get a coupla mates round and drag race your motorised eskies
>>
>>14860012
If you go bike racing, especially road racing, I know gear, etc. is cheaper, but you better have the best damn health insurance you can buy.
>>
>>14861013
>>14860981
Borrow money to buy appreciating assets.

Investments literally grow faster than the interest rate on a real estate loan.

Which is to say that even if you've got the cash to buy the farm outright, only a moron doesn't pay 0 down on a 25 or 30 year fixed rate.
>>
>>14861013
From 1987 until 2017 (when my mortgage will be paid off), the value of my farm has increased from ~200,000 to ~1,600,000. In that time I'll have paid about 16,000 in interest.

Don't be a retard. If you're credit is any good at all, there's no good reason to not borrow to buy land, assuming you can afford the terms.

Borrowing money to go to school or buy a car, that's the stupid thing.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.