[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mufflers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 370x278) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 370x278
So I fucked up a replaced my Nissan 300zx original muffler to some red neck truck type shit, and now I want to kill myself(because it sounds so bad). I need some good recommended mufflers that have like a jdm type sound to it.
>>
straight pipe
>>
stick potato in exhaust
>>
twin turbo?
straight pipe
n/a?
greddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXpSNpySBbU
>>
>>14857219
Like name brand mufflers
>>
>>14857219
>>14857220
you guys are on the right track. put a 3in potato with a 2in hole in it to get that proper sound
>>
>>14857223
It's N/a
>>
>>14857204
If you want a more ADM sound to it you could fab up a section of straight pipe and whack a Milo tin on the end for maximum respect.
>>
>>14857204
I recommend going with this exhaust mod, the sound is about as JDM as it gets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB8IYfRkJYY
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-09-02-21-45-11.png (295 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-09-02-21-45-11.png
295 KB, 1440x2560
>>
>>14857695
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRouWvqYnQM
>>
WTF is a "JDM" sound? Most exhausts that people in Japan actually buy are very quiet because Shaken is a bitch.
>>
stock
>>
Go Stillen or Magnaflow
>>
>>14858187
He means he wants to sound like a ricer weaboo fag.
OP, either go back to stock if you kept the muffler or just cut the damn thing off altogether.
>>
I've got Hi-Powers on mine, almost silent at idle, not too loud under acceleration.
>>
megan dual tip (or anything dual tip)
>>
>JDM sound
Fucking kek

Anyways, yeah, straight pipe. Makes everything sound better. And no, I don't mean some pussy emissions-legal "straight pipe". Nah. Fuck that.

No mufflers, no cats, no resonators, nothing but unrestricted pipes. Get some headers, too. That helps way more than any other exhaust components in my opinion.

Go listen to a straightpiped SR20 car on youtube. That should convince you.
>>
>>14860911
Straight piped cars usually sound like complete shit. Loud != good, you underaged faglord
>>
>>14860911
Straight pipes sound like shit on 4 and 6 cylinder engines.
>>
>>14860935
You're right, the next best thing is cutting it off at before the cat desu
>>
>>14860911
Breah straight pipe sounds like shit on small ci engines especially 4 cylinders
When I replaced the muffler on my ranger I wanted to see how it sounded and it was fucking terrible
80 percent of cars straight piped sound like shit
>>
>>14860935
Of course loud = good, faggot. Stop projecting your underage-ness on others.

>>14860945
>>14860964
It all depends on the engine. Most Japshit 4 cylinders sound great with straight pipes. My Miata was straight piped, and it sounded nice. Better than the shitty magnaflow that was on it. I had plans to cut out the sideways section at the back and run the pipe straight out the left side. Would've sounded way better.

I'm close to being fully straight piped on the GTO. About to get some headers and remove the cats when I put those in. I've been contemplating getting some zoomie side-exit pipes like the Pursuit Special. Not sure if it'd look neat or absolute shit.
>>
OP, no muffler is very complicated. It's either baffles or wool or a combination of both. Find a muffler you like the sound of ( or car, whatever), find out its construction and then hunt around for your price point. Do you like racecars? Look up what exhaust those cars run.

Also, wider exhaust tubing will sound better. You may lose performance by going too big.

Also, what do you mean by a "red neck" muffler? A cherry bomb? Flow master? If you only look at brand names, you are doomed.
>>
>>14857204
>jdm type sound
fucking jdm fags
>>
>>14857204
my 300zx has some spic shit mufflers and tailpipes welded on but ive been told it sounds like a v8 from most normies (when it ran)

if you'd like ill tell you the name of the mufflers since im working in the 240sx in a few minutes and would be able to check
>>
>>14861042
Magnaflow makes a great exhaust I'm not sure why you didn't like yours. 4 cylinders tend to send rattly, high pitched, and generally annoying when straight piped. They need mufflers. Also a 4 cylinder that is completely straight piped probably makes less HP than one with a real exhaust. They need some back pressure.
>>
>>14861134
No engine needs back pressure. You typically want some scavenging so you maintain a good amount of low-end torque. Back-pressure is just a byproduct of that, and is a bad thing.

You won't lose power unless you have massive pipes. A 2.5-3" is perfectly fine. That's generally accepted as the best size range to maintain scavenging while getting rid of the most back-pressure.
>>
>>14861150
Even if that's the case 4 bangers with straight pipes sound terrible. Nobody should aspire to have a car that sounds like gardening equipment.
>>
>>14861134
That high-pitched, ratty sound is what I like. It really does vary a ton from engine to engine usually, though. Miatas sound really good with straight pipes, in my opinion.

For some reason, pretty much any FWD 4cyl I've heard straight piped sounded awful compared to RWD. It just sounds like farts.

Also, this >>14861150
This is exactly what I was going to say.
>>
>recommending straight pipe

goddamn /o/ is mostly underaged
>>
File: O1dowwj.jpg (346 KB, 1200x897) Image search: [Google]
O1dowwj.jpg
346 KB, 1200x897
>>14861206
This
>>
>>14861206
>Lives in a cucktown with emissions laws and tickets for loud exhausts
>"F-Fine! I-I didn't even want a straight pipe anyways! I'll just call everyone who has one immature!"
>>
> inline 4
> straight piping
Sounds like farts and bees below 6000 rpm. Only good sounding 4 cyl are b and k series honda.
>>
>>14861224
>Honda owner
>Talking about fart exhausts
Kek
>>
>>14861231
B and k series sound better then Miatas and that's for sure. K series hatch sounds almost sport bike like.

The only bad sounding Hondas are the low revving non sport irrelevant ones.
>>
>>14861255
All Hondas sound like a nigger shitting through a trombone.
>>
>>14861178
> rwd 4 cyl sound better
> straight pipe miata sounds good

You sir are delusional. You are the one with a fart box and Hondas have the high pitch engines.

4 cyl engines have the lowest pitch of all engines for a rpm. They have the least amount of exhaust pulses and they come in burps. Low revving 4 cyl sound literally like farts.

They ONLY sound good when they can rev high. 6-9 k rpm. I.e. A honda.
>>
>>14861290
Wrong. Go look up a k swap civic video. Then immediately a straight pipe miata.

A muffler thrown on a base model accord is not a sport honda.
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 450x450
>>14857227
Straight pipe with a heart tip
>>
>>14861349
As homosex as it is I would rock a heart tip. When I had a 3g prelude I wanted upturned boso pipes with a heart and a star tip
>>
>>14861306
>Implying I own a 4cyl shitbox
Try again.

>>14861312
I already know what it sounds like. Your typical D-series trash sounds like a normal fart. But step up to the K-series, and you get the wonderful sound of a wet fart through a trombone.

>>14861349
I kinda want this, but I have twin tips on both sides. That'd probably look like shit unless they were staggered or something.
>>
Go to CZP or Z1 and look at options

>>14860797
I had this on my TT and liked it.

I have heard for best power on TTs have 3" DPs, 3-2.5" TPs then have a 2.25 muffler. I'm not sure this is better then all 3" but some people swear by it. What do you guys think?
>>
>>14857204
Stick a train whistle onto your muffler as a tip.
>>
File: 1439760432206.jpg (55 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1439760432206.jpg
55 KB, 400x400
>>14861042
Yeah my 94 miata is dumped at the diff with just the muffler cut off and it sounds amazing. Sure, it makes peoples ears bleed when I approach 4k rpms but they can suck me dry because I like it.
>>
>>14857940
any recommendations that don't exceed 100 decibels?
>>
>>14861177
I don't know. My Toyota pickup didn't sound terrible. It was just loud as fuck.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.