[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any math experts on right now? BMW says a quart burned every
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2
File: bmwoil400.jpg (33 KB, 400x412) Image search: [Google]
bmwoil400.jpg
33 KB, 400x412
Any math experts on right now?
BMW says a quart burned every 600 to 700 miles is acceptable. The oil change interval on new BMWs is 15k miles. The oil capacity is around 7 quarts. There is no dipstick so you can't monitor the oil level yourself. Now I'm no human calculator, but it seems that BMW thinks it's ok to run your engine dry about a third of the way into your regular service interval. Can any experts like Davis or Googlecarguy tell us why this means BMW is good?
>>
>>14835756
>BMW
lmao
>>
>>14835756
If it has iDrive you should be able to check the oil level from the screen in the car.
>>
you're supposed to readd the burned fluid bud
>>
>>14835756
>The oil change interval on new BMWs is 15k miles

I don't give a fuck what they say, change it [synthetic] every 5k
>>
>>14835756
You keep a quart of oil in the trunk and add it every 1000 miles or so just like with most high performance cars.

Also the electronic sensor measures the oil level as well as the oil quality by measuring changes in capacitance. It's about as sophisticated as a soldering iron but works fine.
>>
>>14835778
Also this. I don't trust that 15k number and I change mine every 5-7k
>>
>>14835778
>15k miles
>24,140 klms
Jesus fuck BMW

Also don't misunderstand what "acceptable" means to a car manufacturer. How you drive and how old the oil is has a huge effect on oil consumption. Oil that is at the end of its service life (IMO usually about 10,000ks) would use that much and be acceptable

because the oil is absolutely fucked by that stage, which makes BMWs service intervals kinda nuts. If you want to keep the car beyond the warranty, service it every 7.5k
>>
>>14835756
>BMW
>No dipstick
>Trusting a computer sensor to tell you your oil is low

I seriously hope you goys don't do this
>>
My 01 M3 burns zero oil with 113k miles on it. I change with Liquimoly 10w60 every 5k miles and the oil isn't even that dirty.
>>
>>14835852

Although my car has a dipstick, the oil sensors are full of shit.

The S54 calls for 5.5l. Every time you use 5.5l, the oil light always shows it's low. If it isn't perfectly right on the full mark, the oil level low light always tends to pop on intermittently after you turn the car off. It is THAT sensitive. Even a mm down and the light will come on.

End up always using a full 6 liters when I change.
>>
>>14835880
Check your oil sending unit or whatever the fuck it is called

Probably bad
>>
>>14835888

Naa my R1 and TSX are the same. Always using a bit more than what the book calls for.

I looked into it years ago and nearly everyone has the same issue.
>>
there is literally no reason to change synthetic oil in any less than 10,000 mile intervals
>>
>>14835918

When I tracked my M3 I was changing every other weekend. Also checking valve clearances like 3 times a season. I used to beat it man but I cared for her. I now daily it to the tune of upwards to 800 miles a week.
>>
>>14835756
You can see the oil level on your dashboard shitposting tripfag. Also, no BMW ever has a 15k oil service, it is actually based on fuel usage and is approximately 15k if you drive like a grandma.
>>14835941
I beat on my S54 but I tend to trust the oil change interval the car gives me based on fuel usage. Never had a problem with low level or particularly dirty oil. Then again I don't do track days.
>>
>>14836181

For three years my car was a dedicated track car. Every weekend just about it went through hundreds of redline upshifs as well as many overrevs while downshifting. 70s were the sweet spot for downshifting into second. Probably 8300/8400rpm. The reason I was so anal about valve adjustments

And although many miles never went on my car then, my engine was constantly pushed hard and spinning more times than most peoples engines do in a month with highway miles which is why I was so anal about keeping my valves in spec as well.

I never had any issues with dirty oil either btw, but oil can still lose viscosity without appearing discolored/dirty.
>>
>>14835756
>BMW says a quart burned every 600 to 700 miles is acceptable.
LOL my leaky LS doesnt burn or leak that much

The fuck bmw?
>>
>>14836307
>oil can still lose viscosity without appearing discolored/dirty.
agreed, 10W60 is pretty light and I still have two years of warranty so fuck it. compared to what many like you do i consider my engine light service and the factory change out intervals reasonable.

So how many miles does your M3 have? I must say, besides the noisy VANOS the S54 is god tier.
>>
>>14836339

113,XXX.

2 years warranty remaining for what?

And the vanos noise isn't that bad. What I hate are the loud ass injectors. So fucking noticeable when you drive around town and it sounds like shit. Literally a rapid "chug chug chug" sound. You ever notice that?

My take on this is due to our fuel pressure. It's about 2x more than an average car so it's gonna be 2x as loud hahha.
>>
>>14836339

And the exhaust rasp.

You may not think it's bad like I thought for the longest, until I left my back seat and insulation panel out and drove for a while. It seriously needs an eliminator, but I'm probably keeping it stock to be honest.
>>
Your oil separator valve/PCV is probably ready to take a shit.

Big reason why you get bad oil consumption in the older E36/E46s.

>new BMWs

never mind enjoy your SHIT
>>
>>14836378
Sounds like you are hearing the air injection system
>>
>>14836378
>2 years warranty remaining for what?
Powertrain warranty from the BMW dealer, was free so I'm not too worried.
>loud ass injectors
Oh yeah loud as shit. Injector noise to 2800 RPMs, then VANOS til 3200, then pure engine noise sex. The VANOS and injectors really bugged me at first and I considered drowing it out with an exhaust but I got used to it. Just not many S54 owners around here to compare too. Did test drive an M3 that hadn't had its lifters adjusted and holy shit, what a horror show.
>>14836396
I actually have an M Roadster so the rasp is just a way of life haha
>>
Just buy a dipstick ya dipstick! They cost like $15-20 and the block is already drilled for one. All you have to do is remove the plastic plug.
>>
>>14836419

Naa injectors.

They are pretty much in view from the top of the engine bay with nothing dampening the noise. You can literally see the ends just by standing over the engine.
>>
>>14836420

Tell me about few S54 owners. I live in the Chattanooga area. The local dealer here has to order simple bolts and orings for this engine. They don't carry a damn thing for it.

I was down for days one time after I had an oil leak and had to remove the thermostat housing to get to it (timing chain collar screw backed out.). I fucked the oring between the waterpump/thermo housing up and they had me down for like 3 days because of it.
>>
>>14836420

And another pet peeve of mine....

Pollen inside the engine bay I guess entering through the air ducts. It's ridiculous at times. I have to constantly clean/reoil my af.

Then even though I try not to oversaturate it, end up always having to clean my maf sensor as well due to idle issues afterwards.

I wanna eliminate the sensor.
>>
>>14836475
Yeah I quickly learned to plan ahead and call the dealer for any maintenance. Luckily never had an issue with the engine yet. Think my guibo is going out so we will see how that goes. Really hoping to buy an M2 in a year or so but not sure if I will be able to let go of this car. The engine is just...perfect.
>>
>>14836438
Wew are BMW really too cheap to include a dipstick?

Whats next no touchscreen or dash and you have to mount your phone?
>>
>>14836555

It's all about weight reduction bro.
>>
>>14836510
No experience with an intake on the S54 but oiled filters on my past car caused all sorts of problems. Try using a non-oiled filter. K&N are kinda crap imo.
>>14836555
A lot of new cars lack a dipstick
>>
File: 1387272565248.jpg (26 KB, 478x349) Image search: [Google]
1387272565248.jpg
26 KB, 478x349
>any experts like googlecarguy
>>
>>14836587

The cai was there when I bought the car. I've wanted to revert back to stock.

I sometimes have idle issues that I thought all along was a vacuum leak.

My car was throwing air-fuel adaptation codes with the Peake tool. The fault was very vague and I never could pinpoint the issue.

My EML light came on finally so I scanned for a new code and it was the throttle position sensor which I changed and now my light is staying off.

I still have throttle surging downward when I coast to a stop at times. I swear it's the intake and there being no screen to even out the air before it passes the maf sensor like on the stock intake assembly.

I can blow on the filter and the car wants to die. Indication the intake is shit imo.

If not I'm gonna clean the icv and inspect for cracks on one of the breather hoses under the intake mani. It's just how it's all assembled though. Those clamps I hear are a pain in the ass to reassemble.

I have a hiss sound coming from under the intake mani at idle at times. It may be normal but I've never heard another S54 idle in person so I don't know.
>>
BMW owners need to listen to this. Steve Dinan was on The Smoking Tire podcast. Matt Farah is a douche but the BMW knowledge Steve drops is really great.

All the revvy BMW engines are designed to burn oil especially the V10s.

http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2014/tst-podcast-107-krautwerk/
>>
>>14836675
You need to replace your MAF. It's done for.
>>
>>14836675
Alternatively you have a massive, and I mean massive, vacuum leak post MAF. If you literally mean your breath on the filter affects the idle order a new MAF right now.
>>
>>14836713
>>14836724

I found a forum post where others had the same issue. Then they modified an OEM MAF screen (sits before the sensor) to fit the air duct on the KN cai for this motor.

The screen supposedly evens out the air as it passes through and prevents turbulence from forming near the sensor.

It makes sense.

I need a stock assembly though. I'm sure that'll resolve the issue.
>>
>>14836753
Doubtful. Tons of S54s run aftermarket intakes without issue. Your MAF is faulty. Even if it is not it is the first part you should replace troubleshooting before getting an OEM airbox.

The simple fact of the matter is your car is unable to accurately measure air intake volume. Even in a turbocharged car a BOV vented to the atmosphere which the engine assumes is part of the intake charge rarely causes idle problems. Unless you have a huge vacuum hose unplugged your MAF is bad. It is the only logical answer. I doubt a new one is more than $500.

If that doesn't work I'd get a stock airbox then consider ECU.
>>
>>14836778

A Bosch one is like $100 or so.

That fucking hiss I hear every time though when the car fires up and idles..

I feel too air entering the system PAST the sensor could cause it to wanna bog down.

Eliminating the fucker somehow would definitely fix the problem no doubt.

I have a 2012 R1 with the entire emissions system disabled through the ECU. I'm sure it's possible on this car as well. I think the Evolve/CSL airbox tune eliminates it but I'm not sure. That's like $1k alone though.

Under load, my car runs like new. Never any power loss and never any "stuttering." It only happens at idle.

I have to sleep now. I work 9-6 and it's 3:21.
>>
>>14836830
Buy a new MAF. Seriously anon, just do it.

And night man
>>
>>14836830
Did u try the plugs?
>>
>>14835756

>A quart every 600 to 700 miles is acceptable

mixed 60:1, my two stroke uses about a quart to go 600 miles and it literally blows oil straight out the exhaust. What the actual fuck BMW.
>>
>>14836890
>implying this thread isn't bait
>implying BMW actually states such oil consumption is within design of any of their engines
>implying they wouldn't issue a TSB if true
>implying OP has any sauce

come on man.
>>
>>14835756
>BMW says a quart burned every 600 to 700 miles is acceptable

what the fuck am i reading
>>
>>14836697
That was great thanks anon
>>
>>14836890
The lost oil helps lubricate key parts of the engine that cannot be bathed in oil. Exhaust valves and cylinder bores would be the key targets here.
>>
>>14835756
>actually following the 15k interval.
You should change the oil at 7500 tops if you care about your car.
>>
>>14835756
>expert
>davis
TOPKEK
>>
>>14835756
Yes that is acceptable. BMWs are overengineered so you can run on little amounts of oil.

>>14840728
I am a BMW expert
>>
My new Ford Focus says 10k miles before it needs a change but I plan on doing it before then
>>
>>14835778
>>14835821
>>14835838
I was also eskeptical about these 15k mile oil intervals. So, I decided to test it and followed BMWs recommendation and made it to 16k until my car told me to change the oil. Now my car does not burn oil so it always sat in the upper level of the "gauge" in the iDrive screen.

Took an oil sample of the old oil during the oil change and Had the oil analyzed by blackstone labs. when I got the results back to my surprise the oil still had detergents and additives (although deminished) with no signs of oil breaking down. So from now on I only do 15k oil changes on my e90.
>>
>>14835756
There is a way to check your oil through the instrument cluster, look up on YouTube and you'll find it
>>
>>14840791
it either sees oil or doesn't. There is no inbetween.

dipstick > sensor (unless it's a float like in a gas tank, which it isn't)
>>
>>14840736
not me, damn i should put a trip on. Honestly I don't really know why bmw's burn so much oil but this sounds like the reason>>14840371
>>
>>14840828
State model and country. All US e90s and up have a quantity reading.
>>
>BMW
I guess Hitler didn't kick out all of the Jews afterall.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.