[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here /blackstone/? How often do you test? Post recent reports
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: BlackStone_Labs_2.jpg (57 KB, 678x564) Image search: [Google]
BlackStone_Labs_2.jpg
57 KB, 678x564
Who here /blackstone/?

How often do you test? Post recent reports and whatnot.
>>
>>14835271
Autism?
>>
don't fall for this fucking scam.

Complete bullshit Jew money trick>>14835271
>>
>drain oil
>look at it
>look at magnet on drain plug
>if it looks good its good
>if it doesn't it's not good
There ya go saved you the trouble
>>
>>14835271

What fleet of vehicles, aircraft, and constant use industrial machines do you have, OP?
>>
>>14835271
What do these guys test for?

Test 1
>get yourself a scale and 2 graduated cylinders >mass the two cylinders
>measure out 25 ml of used oil in cylinder A
>measure out 25 ml of unused oil in cylinder B

Is there a mass difference for the same volume?

Test 2
>acquire a new container to dump oil
>Put oil within each cylinder into the freezer for 1 hour.
>Pour oil into trash container
>Compare the rate at which oil flows from each container

Congratulations you now have a qualitative measure of viscosity at low temperatures.

Test 3
>Acquire multi meter with fixed distance probe
>Put both probes into the same oil container
>Compare the resistance of virgin and used oil

Resistance for virgin should be infinity or very high, if the oil is significantly more conductive congratulations there are carbon and metal shavings in the oil.
>>
The test costs more that an oil change.
>>
>>14835395

The specific alloys in the motor. They probably shoot it though a FAAS or an ICP-MS then get a read out of all of the metals. Too much of one metal and maybe a bearing is going out, another metal and it could be oil rings. They also test to see if the detergents in the oil are good between oil changes. You could modify the mileage per oil change depending on how hard you push the motor. Going granny all the time vs 0-100 mph between stops. I thought about sending a sample to them specifically to tell the condition of the motor without taking it apart.
>>
File: 20160412_195750.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160412_195750.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>14835505
They also tell you infinitely more about engine wear than an oil change.

OK so I guess it's story time

>customer comes in informing us of high amounts of copper in oil analysis
>this tells us that either his rod bearings or main bearings are fucked
>pull oil pan off to replace bearings
>immediately notice a slow coolant leak dripping off of #5 cylinder
>pull head
>replace #5 piston, liners, and head gasket
>replace all rod and main bearings
>customer leaves with bill that is roughly half the cost of a complete in frame
>>
>>14835395

>Test 3
>>Acquire multi meter with fixed distance probe
>>Put both probes into the same oil container
>>Compare the resistance of virgin and used oil
>Resistance for virgin should be infinity or very high, if the oil is significantly more conductive congratulations there are carbon and metal shavings in the oil.

Im not sure if you couldn't tell if it was metal or carbon that was giving the reading.The metals would be too low to quantitate and the noise of the carbon would throw it off for an accurate reading. Basically you could say it's really dirty oil or slightly cleaner oil. Also it would take you a while to get a good sample size to tell if you have really dirty oil vs normal oil.
>>
>>14835271
I sent a sample after my engine rebuilt to see what kind of metal was in the oil.
>>14835505
its $20 fucking dollars. jew
>>
>>14835589
Nice harbor freight tool box, I have the same one
>>
>>14835271
This is hugely popular with the BMW S54 crowd due to the rod bearing recall of the earlier models. That said I've never once heard of it being useful for anyone. Every person I've ever seen who had their rod bearing replaced due to increased lead? levels was beyond unnecessary.

That said I'll probably do it with my car as it will help with resale value.
>>
>>14835944

Thats actually pretty good after a rebuild. Fresh motor with a good baseline reading for metals. I think initially it would be bad because break in period, but after the first oil change then it would give you a normal reading of the metals that normally occur to give a baseline to eventually tell whats bad.

>iron is at 100ppm
>2 years later
>iron is at 1000ppm
>Something dun goof'd
>>
>>14835589
>replace all rod and main bearings
>no machining
You guys are bloody hacks.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.