[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buying a car off of a private seller. So I plan on buying a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: peter.png (717 KB, 1033x1075) Image search: [Google]
peter.png
717 KB, 1033x1075
Buying a car off of a private seller.

So I plan on buying a car from a private seller on Saturday. The only problem is I don't have a way to trailer the car home and it is a 2 hour drive. The DMV closes at noon saturday so it may not be possible to get all of this done that day. How do people get around this jew shit?
>>
>drive home
>if by chance you get pulled over show the office the title/proof of sale/ w/e
>>
>>14834836
You have 10 days.
>>
Idk bout your state bro, but in the great state of Nebraska we print out sheets of paper with the date and the words "In Transit" on em and drive where we need to go. Just keep your bill of sale with you and it's all good.
>>
>>14834845
(4) If the original owner of a motor vehicle that has been transferred makes application for the registration of another motor vehicle at any time during the remainder of the registration period for which the transferred motor vehicle was registered, the owner may file an application for transfer of the registration and, where applicable, the license plates. The transfer of the registration and, where applicable, the license plates from the motor vehicle for which they originally were issued to a succeeding motor vehicle purchased by the same person in whose name the original registration and license plates were issued shall be done within a period not to exceed thirty days. During that thirty-day period, the license plates from the motor vehicle for which they originally were issued may be displayed on the succeeding motor vehicle, and the succeeding motor vehicle may be operated on the public roads and highways in this state.
>>
you COULD drive it home, yes, but it varies based on your states laws & regulations. for example, I live in MA, and you CANNOT drive a car without insurance. so i couldn't (well, didn't risk) drive the car home and then do the DMV stuff. i had to: give the dude the money for the car, then the next day take off work, go get insurance, get the right forms, then go to the DMV, then get a cab to get the car.

it was annoying and a waste of a full day (about 8 hours total to complete the journey) but thats how it is dawg.
>>
Just put on a plate that you already own, and don't get pulled over
>>
>>14834880
Insurance isn't an issue. I'll just call and add the VIN to my current policy. It is really an issue of shit BMV (Ohio) open times.

>>14834843
Can't find anything about doing this in Ohio.

>>14834845
Don't see anything about this for Ohio.

>>14834869
Saw this, but I don't have a random set of plates sitting around.
>>
>>14834836
IT DEPENDS
T

D
E
P
E
N
D
S

If you're not a total bitch, you just drive it home and literally nothing happens.

If you want to play it safe, YOU FUCKING LOOK UP YOUR MVD ONLINE AND READ THE FAQ. In Arizona you go online and print a paper license plate for $3. All you need is the VIN. Good for three days, and you can renew like three times. Call your insurance ahead and you'll be covered on that too, which makes you perfectly fucking legal for practically zero effort.
>>
>>14834869
What state faggot? not true in mine - owner always keeps the plates.
>>
>>14834880
>go get insurance

you don't have a phone?
>>
>>14835038
what do you mean?
>>
>>14835038
Every company has a phone app to get shit done.
>>
>>14835038
Most insurance agents have telephones that you can call.
>>
>>14835283
>>14835288
Oh. Right. Well nah I needed to go there because they needed to stamp a for or something. And I needed to hand them a voided check.
>>
You drive it home and deal with insurance and registration later
>>
Massachusetts is a bitch. I live in Vermont and drive down there with a friend for a v70r, and we gave it a good shot at doing it legally, but it was so many hoops we just said fuck that and sent it.

Went fine. Went over to nh for some tax free liquor, spent the night in the white mountains and ripped home at dawn.
>>
>call insurance and add your car to your policy
>drive home with bill of sale
>don't do stupid shit on the way there

I've done it once and 2 times with my uncles cars. Never had issues and if you get pulled over the only ticket may be for not being registered which you can get knocked off at court
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.