[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why Germans can't make good cars anymore?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 10
Why Germans can't make good cars anymore?
>>
That's assuming Germans ever made good cars
>>
Because they sell service contracts instead of vehicles.
>>
File: mark-cosovich-w123.jpg (190 KB, 840x520) Image search: [Google]
mark-cosovich-w123.jpg
190 KB, 840x520
>>14831935
They used to.
>>
Something something Turks something something Refugees.
>>
>>14831932
They never did
>>
File: mb_190e_2-5_evolution_2_2.jpg (411 KB, 1600x890) Image search: [Google]
mb_190e_2-5_evolution_2_2.jpg
411 KB, 1600x890
>>14831997
Sure thing bro
>>
File: 1441732459214.jpg (51 KB, 604x550) Image search: [Google]
1441732459214.jpg
51 KB, 604x550
>>14831932

Because globalism.

Germans have an autistic taste when it comes to technology, that's what most loved about "German cars".

Now every car has to meet the taste not "only" of the Germans, they have to fit literally everyone.

Since making products for a GLOBAL market instead of focusing mainly on domestic, there are way bigger risks involved, hence the autistic quality controls had to go and parts and production have to be as cheap as possible.
>>
>>14831932
because there's no reason
>>
>>14831935
I'll have you know the Mercedes-Benz is the Rolls Royce of automobiles!
>>
File: image75684.jpg (111 KB, 881x661) Image search: [Google]
image75684.jpg
111 KB, 881x661
Oh, so this is your Mercedes? Hold on ... can you drive me back to my place? I think I need to change my panties.
>>
>>14832206
>man's jaw and brow line
Ladyboy fucker
>>
>>14831932
They don't want to go out of business.
>>
>>14831962
before Lexus, Mercedes set out to make the best car in a class, compact, mid sized, or big, and then figure out how much they would need to charge to make a profit. These cars would last forever.

Lexus came along, and figured out that they only needed a car to last x amount of miles, but be absolutely flawless for that time period. This would gain them the reputation of great reliability and loyalty. They could do this for less than what Mercedes charged for a car that would last forever.

It took a few decades for Mercedes to figure out how to go about making a car less than perfect but not absolute shit, this goes against basic german/mercedes essence. They bought Chrysler in attempts to figure out how to make things shittier.. but this just ended up really shitty. The only good things that came out of this was that somebody got bit by a snek, and middle class white men had a big v8 sedan to show their repressed anger at the world (revving intensified).
>>
File: 1316134428215.jpg (37 KB, 358x358) Image search: [Google]
1316134428215.jpg
37 KB, 358x358
>>14832574
>They bought Chrysler in attempts to figure out how to make things shittier
>>
>>14832574

>only needed a car to last x amount of miles

Cousin has a first gen LS400 with around 240k on the clock

I'd take an older Lexi over an older Merc any day
>>
They do make good cars, they just don't cater to poorfags who drive the same car for 5+ years, to be a German car owner is to lease
>>
>>14832574

How can someone type this up when Lexus' flagship vehicle is renowned for its near immortality?
>>
File: photo-4.jpg (502 KB, 1224x1632) Image search: [Google]
photo-4.jpg
502 KB, 1224x1632
>>14832797
Mercedes give out badges for a million, both kilometers and miles.
>>
>>14832889
why do they get smaller as the km go up
dats retarded
>>
>>14832921
They had to ration the Mercedium the badges are crafted from later on because the supply is finite and they didn't actually expect anyone to keep their car this long.
>>
>>14832950
>the supply is finite
they couldn't just make more
>>
>>14832871
if they were immortal, i would see many more of them on the road. You see many more very old benz tooling around then lexii.
>>
>>14832136
This actually. No point in making good cars, that's not profitable. Make cars that imitate good cars having all the technology bullshit you can stuff them with, sell, wait 5 years and recycle.
>>
>>14831932
Because of the Euro.

No, seriously, I mean it.

When it was cheaper to have some Bavarian craftsman assemble your car than it was to have a darkie from Detroit, you could do great things. But once Germany lost sovereign control of her currency, it was impossible to keep making money like that.
>>
>>14832985

I see tons on the roads and tons on sale on Craigslist with 200k+ miles
>>
>>14832991
>200k+ miles
Small time. Call me back when the odo rolls once and hits 700k a second time
>>
>>14832991
And for how much, $500 two years before they finally go to the junkyard? Meanwhile Benzes start rising in value at old age regardless of their mileage.
>>
Toyota drivetrains are unkillable with even a basic amount of care, we know that. But even with Lexus, the rest of the car ages.

If you look at a Benz from the 70s that's been driven the whole time, it's fucking amazing how much of the car is often still working. It's not just that they drive, the interior holds together. Power windows and even the asinine pneumatic door looks hold up. it's incredible.
>>
>>14832574
I can't believe what I'm reading lmao

When Lexus came out Mercedes wasn't doing too well in terms of reliability, and if there is one company in the world that knows about reliability it's Lexus. It has no match whatsoever in reliability, stats have proven time and time over again that Lexus is the most reliable company. So I have no idea where this idea of Lexus realized to make cars for an x amount of time.
>>
>>14832985
You see more old Lexus cars than old Benz cars on the roads, I live in a big city so I get to see many cars throughout the day. People are still rocking the SC400s and LS400s and they are like 400k+ miles.. Perhaps in your area you won't see them, but in bigger cities the case always sides with Lexus.
>>
>>14833009
Any car that is not taken care of won't last long, you can find high mileage Lexus vehicles that are in good condition that work just fine and by high mileage I mean 300-400k +, or find cheap $500 cars which were not taken care of. A similar case does go with Benz except it might be more costly to maintain, I think the only benz that are extremely reliable you see are mostly the pre 90s benz or the 300d. Lexus has been the benchmark for reliability, it didn't just gain that reputation out of thin air.

Commercial very related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1naX2ZjXDHs
>>
>>14834129
>When Lexus came out Mercedes wasn't doing too well in terms of reliability,
when do you think lexus came out.. because the w124 is a tank, as was the w126, and w201.

>>14834211
>Any car that is not taken care of won't last long
you can absolutely abuse a w123 and some w124s and they will keep going.

Same for a volvo 240 and 700s and some 900s.
>>
>>14832889

>tfw my merc only had 180,000km on it before it was written off
>>
>>14832975
real medals don't do that
>>
>>14834540
An engine just running isn't the only thing that keeps the car from being maintained. Yes if you don't take care of the car, the engine will be running on a mercedes or even on a lexus. But in order to keep other things running properly you still have to maintain it. There are so many cars out there that just "run" doesn't mean they are reliable. The difference comes that Lexus have really made a lot of their components last much much longer. Mechanical parts don't seem to fail, the only thing I can think of is the power steering. I have no direct experience with the W124 but there are issues with it engine wise such as oil leaking into the coolant and the head gaskets being destroyed, compared to the Lexus 1UZ you don't see these issues when they are being abused. As for the volvo 700s and 240s, you are absolutely wrong. My friend has both and been in the family for a while but yet it has so many issues with the engine. I know people who have had their LS400s and a sadly a few who never ever took care of it, ofc one was working better than the other but by your definition they were both still running.

You are correct about the W124 being a tank, it will be on the same level as the LS400 and other similar vehicles, they will last for so long especially when taken care of. They don't build cars like these anymore.

I know this is a bit different to say but look at the reliability of Mercedes after 95', I'm not sure what happened but it took a huge shit, it's just coming back slowly after almost 2 decades. It seems like we are both heavily biased and have reasons for that, different experiences cause different opinions.
>>
>>14832889
How can I get one?
>>
I used to have the biggest boners for e30's but my god the newest bimmers and the m2 are so cheap
>>
>>14831932

The new cars good. It's just that the competition has gotten better due to the new globalized auto industry.
>>
File: mb w123 coupe.jpg (32 KB, 736x362) Image search: [Google]
mb w123 coupe.jpg
32 KB, 736x362
>>14831932
Probably because they try to increase profit by making the cars less reliable. It's a shame, because Mercs used to have a good reputation reliability-wise.

What's your opinion on the W123 coupe? I really like it and would consider buying one. What should i be aware of?
>>
>>14831932
they still make the best cars out there. americans just can't afford them.
>>
>>14836172
spend the initial cost of the car on repairs
>>
>>14831932
Basically, quality has dropped because those people who actually do buy new cars stopped giving as much of a fuck. Hardly a quarter of cars like the E-class are still privately bought, the other three quarters are company cars, which are usually leased. In addition, other auto-makers quit putting out really shitty cars.
So, to make it really simple, they can't ask 5k extra for a slow and not really luxuriously equipped car anymore, while the competitors don't fall apart in the time that customer cares about either.
Want to change that? Start buying new cars again, with an intend on keeping them in the long run.
>>
>>14832574
The '89 LS400 caught Mercedes (and BMW) off guard. Mercedes was in the finishing stages of the W140, and when the LS400 was launched (at a greatly lower price, by the way) they had to rush many features to compete with Lexus.

Which backfired greatly on the W140's reliability record, whereas the Lexus kept on going because those features were planned in the first place. Which increased their reputation.

>>14832889
Most of those badges are found on 1980s E-classes, not on 1990s cars.

>>14833111
And in 10 years time all those LS400's will still be going, whereas Mercs from that era have already fallen apart.

Not that Merc owners care, because they tend to have more money than brains.
>>
>>14837573
Concerning 90s cars, I see quite a few 90s e classes on the road. Generally i6 or diesel.
>>
>>14833111
>>14834139
>>14834211
Whats up with calling mercedes just "benz" in 2016 even they dont call themselves that anymore
>>
File: W140RearShotPlateDelete.jpg (301 KB, 2048x785) Image search: [Google]
W140RearShotPlateDelete.jpg
301 KB, 2048x785
posting the best
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.