[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Troubleshooting Knocking Sound
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Sup guys,
My 98 explorer started making a
decently audible knocking/tapping sound on the drivers side. I was on the interstate and the engine started running rough and starting smoking from the hood. Smoke was white. The car didn't start knocking until after I pulled over and started it back up. It doesn't knock/tap when I give it gas in park, only when I'm moving and even when only idling. Sounds like a loose bike chain or something. Idk what it could be. Any help would be appreciated.
>>
Is your oil pressure light on?
>>
>>14831659
Nope. And oil level is above half. Sounds like it taps in rotation with the tires.
>>
>>14831673
Well your oil level might not be the problem, if there's low pressure in the system and it's not getting to the cylinders. But like u said the pressure is fine. Sounds like lifter tapping under your covers maybe
>>
>>14831629
What engine?

4.0 SOHC? This one is notorious for the timing chain cassets going bad. Especially at those miles, which are really high for a 4.0 SOHC.

4.0 OHV?

5.0 OHV?

I have a 5.0 AWD 98 explorer with 218k miles and it has lifter tick from being worn out and old but still has good power with 10w-40. Could be an exhaust leak but I doubt it since I replaced the headers.

Could be a bad spark plug or coil. any CEL on?
>>
>>14831629

How white was the smoke? If it was REALLY white then it was coolant being burnt. If it was off-white or grey then it could be oil being burned off of something hot.

Either way, you have a leak somewhere. What was the temperature gauge telling you? Check your coolant and oil levels and make sure they are all full. If they aren't, then that's your culprit and you probably baked your engine and warped the head enough to make it tick. Don't worry about the tick, as there's nothing you can do about it at this point short of rebuilding the heads. If the engine isn't down on power then just don't worry about it.
>>
>>14831708
Yeah, im not OP but I was also thinking head gasket was a possibility. Really depends on the engine though. the 4.0 and 5.0 OHV arnt known for it. Unless OP neglected the engine.
>>
>>14831629
Well OP no one can fucking help you if you dont tell us which engine you have.... or at least give an update.
>>
>>14831707
It's 5.0 AWD. No CEL. I run mine with 10w40 as well.

>>14831708
Smoke was a white, but more off-white. Not really much grey. Coolant still pretty good and oil is above half. No oil pressure light on and the car was not overheating when it was smoking.

I'm idling around the parking lot for maybe a minute at a time, and I noticed that it doesn't knock as much when I turn right but is loud when turning left or going straight. Could this be an axel or ball-joint?
>>
>>14831731
>Could this be an axel or ball-joint?

How does that have anything to do with your engine issues?

Check plugs and plug wires.

Recently one the 4 coil ignition coil thingys went bad on my explorer and #8 cylinder had no spark and the engine sounded weird and had low power.

Check plugs and plug wires.

Also, you can easily check the suspension. Look at the CV axels up front and check for tears, look at the sway bar end links and see if the rubber grommets are wore out or gone.

Check the steering shaft knuckle and see if it split open and lost its grease.
>>
I might add that also with those miles the gear shift lever is probably loose. Do this repair, its just two T27 screws that need to be tightened.

Picture in the middle is what you need :http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1108072-help-starting-neutral-safety-switch-and-more.html

Now my gear shift is good as new, it used to be so bad I couldn't start the truck with out messing with it.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.