[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tranny survey
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: synchroassy2.png (280 KB, 700x462) Image search: [Google]
synchroassy2.png
280 KB, 700x462
What did you need to replace first?
>clutch
>throwout bearing
>syncros

Driving questions:
>do you downshift to stop?
>if yes, do you rev match?
>at a light, do you keep the clutch disengaged or chill in neutral?
>do you double clutch?
>>
>>14830597
2 shift forks, three sets of bearings, three sets of gears/selector sleeves and two clutches.

Broke both the 1/2 shift fork and 3/4 shift fork while racing at the track shifting it too hard from first to second and second to third. ended up rounding the teeth off of the gears and selector sleeves in the process and destroying two bearings, and replaced two clutches before finally upgrading to a 6 puck and chromoly flywheel.
>>
>>14830629
> no i do not downshift to a stop unless my brakes are overheating
>i rev match every time i do downshift if possible
>clutch disengaged if at all possible.
> only double clutch if rpm to gear selection is really far apart.
>>
>>14830597
What's the practical difference between double clutching, and just keeping the clutch in?
>>
>>14830651
Less wear on the synchronization parts.
>>
>>14830651
Double clutching is for shifting between gears, it brings the mainshaft up to the same speed as the engine meaning your syncros have less work they need to do in order to bring the gears to the same speed. its practical to use when downshifting to first mainly in a modern standard trans.
>>
>>14830667
>>14830671

I guess what I'm asking is, why is keeping the clutch in worse than having the car in neutral while waiting for the gears to match?
>>
>>14830981

What's the opposite of less wear?
>>
>>14830597
None. 221k miles

Yes
No
Clutch in
No
>>
File: 122150L.gif (27 KB, 700x456) Image search: [Google]
122150L.gif
27 KB, 700x456
>>14830597
the journal for the tripod and U joints
>>
>>14830629
>shift forks

Stop resting your fucking hand on your shifter
>>
>>14830597
>What did you need to replace first?
The car.

>Driving questions:
>>do you downshift to stop?
Most of the way.
>>if yes, do you rev match?
No. Synchromesh does that for me.
>>at a light, do you keep the clutch disengaged or chill in neutral?
Foot on the clutch so I don't forget it's not in gear.
>>do you double clutch?
No. I fucking love synchromesh.
>>
>>14830597
>What did you need to replace first?
Torque converter. (Crown Vic master race)
>>
>>14830597
this data isn't going to help you like you think it is. Most of us drive used cars and the driving style between owners will negate any accuracy of what we say.
>>
>>14830597
my 2nd gear synchro has been feeling shitty lately. so probably synchros. but the trans is old and busted anyway.

no
n/a
neutral
almost never
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.