[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Discuss Your Mileage
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 30165550-640.jpg (53 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
30165550-640.jpg
53 KB, 640x480
My 98 Ford Explorer Sport is about to hit 260000 miles, the only things I have ever had to replace on it were the tires, brakes, radiator. Is it not common for this model to get this many miles? When I tell people they sound shocked.
>>
Most people don't regularly service their vehicles. Then they complain when something goes wrong.
>>
File: 3874523.jpg (38 KB, 500x315) Image search: [Google]
3874523.jpg
38 KB, 500x315
My car has low miles for now so there isn't much i can say although there was a guy on /o/ who posted a picture of his Chysler Town and Country van with 230,000+ miles.

He told me he didn't have to replace anything other than the stuff you mentioned with your car and.

Couldn't believe it and not sure if those cars actually are reliable (i know JEEP XJ and ZJs are)
>>
>>14829937
Is that your car?
>>
My dad has the base model 2000 explorer, and he's at 236k miles with no major work done. I'm surprised that they are as durable as they are.
>>
>>14830054
i agree

i reckon modern vehicles, with modern engineering and modern quality control, could last near indefinitely if you change fluids, filters, and belts on a regular basis. it's not like ye olden days where most cars were actively breaking themselves with use. even the lowliest econobox crossover is more than capable of handling the demands of going 70mph on a relatively (compared to 3rd world and the past) well made roadway.
>>
My neighbor had a first gen four door manual with over 240k back in the early '00s. As long as you change the oil they'll run a long time.
>>
>>14829937
98 XJ Limited just hit 140k, got it in May and only had to get new brakes/fix the e brake/brake line as my first wrenching experience
>>
91 Miat at 286k

Radiator, clutch, rear main seal, rear caliper, driveshaft (unserviceable ujoints), ignition coil, starter, and that would be it for hard parts.

Oil, brakes, belts to be expected as with every car.
>>
>>14829937
>Is it not common for this model to get this many miles?

Well do you have the 4.0 OHV? If so then its not uncommon to have those miles.

IF you have the 4.0 SOHC well then, its VERY uncommon to have those miles if you never replaced the timing chain cassettes.
>>
2003 Saturn sl2 pushing 300k, still gets low 40s mpgs
>>
>>14829937
Usually the firestones on them would explode, launching you into a catastrophic rollover long before the engine had appreciable wear.
>>
>>14832421
I have a 2000 Explorer with SOHC 4.0 and 220k km. So far the only thing I've had to do was replace some of the front suspension components (ball joints), change the serpentine belt/tensioner, and IAC.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.