[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm afraid to drive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
File: que.jpg (72 KB, 512x640) Image search: [Google]
que.jpg
72 KB, 512x640
I'm a manchild who's never gotten a job I couldn't take the MBTA to. I might be getting one outside of the city. I've just realized I'm incredibly nervous about getting my license especially since I'm 24 and never was taught anything about driving.

Will /o/ be my new dad and teach me how to drive?
>>
File: 1448017383939.jpg (446 KB, 1057x612) Image search: [Google]
1448017383939.jpg
446 KB, 1057x612
>watch initial D
>become expert driver
>>
>>14822894

Learn as much as you can about whichever car you're driving. You need to know what every switch, button, lever, etc. is for. Read a training manual from your state's DMV or whatever. Figure out what, "yield" means. The most important thing is to PAY ATTENTION. Stay off your fucking phone.
>>
>>14822894
no. take this seriously and read a book on defensive driving.
>>
File: AGF00020_1.jpg (137 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
AGF00020_1.jpg
137 KB, 800x600
>>14822940
I looked it up and I think I might need to learn the basics before this. Constantly thinking about those sorts of things certainly seems like it would make driving more interesting though.

>>14822921

The car I would potentially driving because of some luck on my cousin not needing it anymore would be pic related (not the actual car but a white scion xb) and it feels really nice from a passenger's perspective atleast.
>>
File: GC driving.jpg (21 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
GC driving.jpg
21 KB, 650x366
>>14822894
you're not the only one in that situation OP
>>
>>14822894
Why not man up and go to driving school? Not one of the huge ones but a local shop. I paid $500 and got 20 hrs classroom + 20 hrs driving, it was great. There was a few guys in their mid 20s there too so your situation isn't that weird.
>>
>>14822894
The idea of driving, and getting into an accident is far more terrifying than actually experiencing it. I've been in a few bad wrecks, and the anxiety got to me for a while, but it goes away. Getting back in the driver seat erases all of the stuff from the back of your mind.

You'll go through your drivers safety course, take an exam, then get behind the wheel training. Just take it slow, and don't over think anything. Nobody starts out day 1 as a confident driver.
>>
>>14822894

Like anything in life man, it generally gets better with experience.

The first few months or so you'll be nervous about driving. However, as you garner experience you'll become more confident in your diving ability.

After a year or so, it will become second nature.

Just by being overly-aware/focuse you will be a much better driver than most on the road; your chances of crashing are low.
>>
>>14823263
>Just by being overly-aware/focuse you will be a much better driver than most on the road; your chances of crashing are low.

If you can do this without being paranoid you're good to go. As you learn things like the dimensions of your car and where all the wheels are in relation to your driving position you'll feel more comfy.
>>
>>14822894

Here's my motto:

If your Mom can do it, then you can do it too.

Cars are designed to be operated by the dumbest people around with a driving license.

Pay heed ot the signalization and be careful.

Get to know how all the signalization works, drive a little slower than others if you feel it to be more comfortable.

Plan everything, you don't want to get nervous when something you didn't expected happen.
>>
>>14823291
>If your Mom can do it, then you can do it too.
Can you give birth to an /o/tist?
>>
>MBTA
Myrtle Beach? Just drive around in a golf cart like all those other idiots do.
>>
what's so hard about driving?

I have my car since 2014 and I still don't know what all the buttons do. Made the licence when I was 21. I'm a eurofag and I'm pretty sure the test is more difficult here.

Just go to driving school, drive a couple hours, should be okay
>>
>>14824290
Uh no, I live in Boston. I should have clarified I meant the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority, aka all the subways, buses, and trains around here.

You guys are giving me a lot of confidence about this I already have my permit so I think I'll try things out in some abandoned lot with my cousin and reread the driver's manual.
>>
>>14822894
just get an automatic and learn traffic rules, traffic flow and to estimate distances and sizes. If you try a manual as learning car you'll just be stalling, crashing and getting anxious to the point you'll end up hating driving or becoming a douchebag driver.
>>
>>14822894
i respect you for not being a dick and having a car just to take up space. just practice on side streets and parking lots till you feel comfortable.
>>
>>14822940
I never have.
Any recommendations or pdf links?
>>
>>14825118

The tests are usually more strict in European countries, especially with regards to transmissions. I know in a lot of places if you test on a manual, you are licensed to drive manual or auto. If you test on an auto, you cannot drive a manual car (legally).

But then you're all babby cucks with severe triggers, so they probably want to avoid a human rights lawsuit or hardcore triggering anyone with a perception of discrimination...so you all pass no matter what.
>>
>>14822940

>read a book on defensive driving
>learning to drive from a book

Nigga what are you trying to do to him.

Driving is about FEELS. You gotta get FEELS for the road, no book can teach you that.
>>
>>14825403
motorcycling requires the ultimate defensive driving. I'd recommend just reading a book like proficient motorcycling.
>>
>>14825539
I don't know why, but I have the impression a book like that will teach me a lot of things I already know.
>>
>>14825902
it will. it will also teach you somethings you don't know that may save your life.
>>
File: Autism2.jpg (12 KB, 548x240) Image search: [Google]
Autism2.jpg
12 KB, 548x240
>>14822894
Being a no driver's license manchild autist...

...you probably like Sonic the Hedgehog soo...

...what you need my man is Suzuki GSXR 1000 motorcycle in blue, white, and with gold ring rims topped off with the words "step it up" pinstriped below the passenger seat body wall.

You gotta go fast, kid.
>>
>>14826273
that... sounds amazing
>>
>>14822894
That pic

High Test, son
>>
File: 1449969544968.gif (2 MB, 303x277) Image search: [Google]
1449969544968.gif
2 MB, 303x277
>>14826367
What are you waiting for kid? You're in for a wild ride.
>>
>>14825139
Stay the fuck off the S.E. Expressway.
>>
>>14822894
my girlfriend is super underconfident and is only just getting her license now she's 21

....I thought that was bad
>>
File: 1434423627885.png (220 KB, 900x851) Image search: [Google]
1434423627885.png
220 KB, 900x851
learn how a car feels as a driver
explore everything you're uncomfortable with (this comes with experience)

stay aware of your surroundings

thats literally it
>>
>>14825424
A book has useful stuff like which way to turn the wheels when parking on a hill. If you wait for the memes, then it will be too late and you'll have to get a new car. It's a potentially expensive lesson.
>>
>>14822894
Either pay for lessons or ask a friend to teach you
I bought bought a car when I was 14 and had a friend basically call me out on fuck ups til I learned what I was doing. Didn't really take long but you can always get lessons. It'll take time before you're truly comfortable behind the wheel of a car but you'll get there anon. If some of the retards who post here can drive so can you
>>
I'm also a masshole and can probably drive to whatever boston suburb you live in (JP? maybe cambridge idk). Would be happy to teach you enough to pass a test but more importantly you just need to drive a lot, even if you suck ass. I've never had an accident or been pulled over in 9 years since I got my license.
>>
I'm from Massachusetts and I got my license at 29. An ex got hers at over 22.

First thing is study the fuck out of the state driver's manual and take the permit test. Then get a friend who has a calm, safe driving style and have them teach you. You'll be nervous at first but it'll come to you eventually. Unless you're asian.

If you can't find a friend there are a lot of good driving schools in the area, although in many cases their programs are biased towards required driver's ed classes that don't apply if you're over 18 or 21.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.