[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/air compressor/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 12358.jpg (103 KB, 506x900) Image search: [Google]
12358.jpg
103 KB, 506x900
General discussion thread for air compressors and pneumatic tools.
>>
How much do I have to spend to get something relatively quiet?
>>
File: condor 175psi.jpg (16 KB, 216x300) Image search: [Google]
condor 175psi.jpg
16 KB, 216x300
I've burned through two switches in about 2 months. Anybody know how to diagnose this? The compressor is graded for 240vac but I have it pulling 120vac. Could lower voltage be destroying these switches?
>>
>>14820865
Depends on your definition of quiet. Not even trolling, even expensive compressors can be considered "loud".

As a general rule though, any oil bath compressor is going to be much quieter than an oil-less. Don't buy an oil-less ever.
>>
>>14820895
Are you running a 120v motor on it? What fails in the switch? How do the contacts look when you pull the cover?
>>
>>14820865
The compressor will only turn on when it drops to a certain pressure (cut-in pressure). It will then run until it reaches your desired pressure (cut-out pressure). Just set a low cut-in pressure and max out the differential.
>>
>>14820896
Also forgot to mention, if you're shopping for 60+ gallon compressors, get one with a motor that turns at 1750 rpm. Generally they have more efficient pumps on them and they're much more likely to fit your idea of quiet than a cheap one that turns at 3600. You'll be able to tell by the label on the motor, and almost every compressor manufacturer brags about it in the description if it is a low speed motor.
>>
>>14820910
As far as I know, it's 240vac. But it has been working with 120vac for as long as I remember. The switch is is graded for 120vac/240vac.

The contacts still look fine.
>>
>>14820964
Post a picture of the data plate on the motor, I'd bet it's 120v amp rating is more than the pressure switch can take.
If you're running a 240v motor on 120v it's drawing twice the current it normally would (and I'm amazed it even runs without tripping the overload or popping a breaker). The voltage rating of the switch is fine but check the amperage rating, that's what's killing it.

If you have to run 120v then either get a smaller motor and a larger pulley and spin the pump head a bit slower at the expense of your CFM rating or get an external compressor rated contactor and wire that up.

Or better yet just run the poor thing off 240.
>>
>>14821017
Here's the manual: http://www.chpower.com/IMAGES/pdfs/manual00/254700_0702.pdf

Clearly, I'm not very electrically inclined. I tested the voltage by putting one lead on a contact and the other lead on a ground and it read 120...that's the correct way to do it right?

Thanks again for the immediate help.
>>
>>14821108
Residential 240 is funny that way, both power lines going into the compressor should read 120 from the line to ground but if you measure from L1 to L2 it should read 240.

Take the multi-meter and measure between the two power wires, it'll probably read 240.
>>
>>14821162
That is likely the case. The breaker says 240vac.

So what could the issue be you think? This is a pretty popular switch so it's hard to say that's it's a piece of crap.
>>
i have up to $300 to spend on a compressor to run air tools in my personal garage. noise is no concern.

what get?
>>
>>14820848
what compressor is good for an air impact? space and cost are factors.
>>
>>14821207
>>14821304
http://amzn.com/B00UHNM60C
>>
File: image_24032.jpg (114 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image_24032.jpg
114 KB, 1200x1200
Not OP but would this be a bad purchase? I try not to buy harbor frieght shit but when it comes to things that I use just every once in a while, i dont mind going cheap. Id be doing some air tool from time to time and maybe even some painting.

http://m.harborfreight.com/21-gal-25-hp-125-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-61454.html
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.