[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know that laws vary state to state, but generally speaking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Posted-On-Shock-Mansion38272.jpg (186 KB, 550x825) Image search: [Google]
Posted-On-Shock-Mansion38272.jpg
186 KB, 550x825
I know that laws vary state to state, but generally speaking would it be legal or illegal to go from a complete stop to whatever the current speed limit is very, very quickly? I'm talking like launch control fast.
>>
If you did a wheelie or the tires were spinning they could argue Exhibition of Speed.
>>
reckless driving maybe
>>
>>14819677
But what if neither of those things happened. In fact, what if you (somehow) didn't even make a whole lot of noise?
>>
>>14819696
IDK, I've wondered this often myself, the only things I can think of are Exhibition of Speed and Speed Contest which are worded differently state to state. What I also wonder about is braking, sometimes when I'm bedding rotors I'll slam on the brakes over and over, I had a cop see me do it and just look at me like an idiot but didn't pull me over, but that's in an area with a bunch of shops and not in the middle of a neighborhood or anything.
>>
>>14819691
Yeah but for it to be reckless driving you would have to otherwise be breaking some other law, but to a greater degree than average. Like speeding very excessively, etc. You're speeding, but at a much higher level so it eventually becomes reckless. But here you're technically not breaking any law unless "accelerating too fast" is specifically prohibited.
>>
if the posted speed limit is 60kph and during a heavy snowfall everyone else is doing 25kph and I'm still doing 60kph is that wreck less?

What if I drift through a snow covered intersection but never break the speed limit while staying in my lane?
>>
PROTIP:high end mercedes S class cars are fast and silent and never get pulled over
>>
this has been something i've wondered about too
(from la) i've heard stories of people accelerating to the speed limit quickly from a stop and getting a speeding ticket that was essentially "excessive acceleration"

i don't care to go 40 over the posted limit, but i do like to get to the limit (or 5 over) quickly
>>
>>14819722
Reckless driving is pretty much up to the cop, since there's some line in most codes about how 'endangering others on the road' constitutes reckless driving. This applies even if literally nobody else is on the road, and covers things like a 50mph road having a 15mph hairpin turn and someone takes the turn at 45. Still 'legal', but a cop can hit you with reckless driving anyway
>>
I think you generally launching is frowned upon, but it's doubtable your shitbox can get to the speed limit in any kind of meaningfully reckless way.

As long as you're not launching or revving before the green light you'll probably be OK.
>>
Some an/o/n got a ticket for it afaik. Cop said he had to sped up to catch up with him
>>
>>14819715
some have statutes that list "excessive show of acceleration" and "exhibition of acceleration" also.

Plus, some of those lump you automatically as "street racing"
>>
>>14819881
I'd figure that cops would love to pull them over just to show them up.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.