[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Must have Tools
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 21
File: image.jpg (295 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
295 KB, 1024x682
Hey guys I just got my first car and mommy and daddy said I can use the garage to work on my car.

What are the must have tools for a home mechanic? I already have a few shop manuals for my car and a basic ratchet/socket set and a chord less drill.

>buy a mig welder?

>body work tools?

>engine hoist?

>a jack and axle stands?

What do you guys have in your tool collection and what would you like to add?
>>
A lift is pretty helpful
>>
>>14813319
>>engine hoist?
If you're going to be working on the engine or swapping it, you'll want an engine/tranny jack to help lift it out straight and hold it in place when putting it back in.
>>
>>14813319
>engine hoist?
>first car

If you were capable of making use of an engine hoist you wouldnt need to ask us
>>
Welder is nice if you have an older car or are doing any major chassis work. Don't waste money on a cheapo Eastwood or similar, just get the cheapest Lincoln or Miller MIG that can use gas. Cordless impact is good if you don't have air, same with an electric grinder. If you do have air you can get an air impact and die grinder. I've yanked a lot of engines without using a tranny jack as the other anon suggested, as long as the hoist has a good adjustable beam you can normally get it out especially with the help of a friend, depends on the car though. Obviously need a good jack and jackstands.
>>
>>14813395
that said,

>ODB II scan tool
>ratchet extenders of all lengths
>pry bar
if you dont have socket bits that swivel, get some.
>>
>wrench roll
>flashlight
>magnet
>socket set
>needle nose pliers
>hammer
>screwdrivers

All this first then you can move onto the big boy stuff
>>
File: 666.jpg (664 KB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
666.jpg
664 KB, 4000x3000
Get some mini vice grips and thank me later, a pair of mini channel locks go a long way too.
>>
We should compile a cheapest decent kit possible list for continued use in these threads. Feel free to add and debate. I'm thinking -

Harbor Freight:
Hammers (nylon, brass, rubber, steel)
Pry bars (wear eye protection)
Magnet on a stick
Mirror
Hood prop
Fender cover
Scan tool

Ebay/Amazon Taiwanese tools (Sunex or similar)
Screwdriver set
Pliers set
Vice grips
Scraping/small pry tools
Flashlight
1/2" impact set

Craftsman:
Socket set, 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive

Gearwrench:
Wrench set
Ratcheting wrench set
Ratchets

Milwaukee/Dewalt
Cordless impacts (1/2" and 3/8")
Drill
Angle grinder
Sawzall
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (40 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
40 KB, 1280x720
>>14813416

>those non-Vise Grip™ tools mixed in with genuine Vise Grip™ tools

haram
>>
>>14813444
Personally, I'd choose Makita or Hitachi cordless tools over Dewalt, but Milwaukee is a pretty solid choice. Splitting hairs though.
>>
DVOM
Torque wrench
OBD scan tool
>>
>>14813470
Good ones to add to the list, but hard to pick brands that are still in the realm of basic tool kit stuff. I think the way to go for those is just buy once cry once and get a Fluke, for torque wrenches there's some good mid priced options, I have Precision Instruments split beams for 3/8 and 1/2 and they weren't too expensive.

Also forgot breaker bar and wheel saver sockets if you have nice wheels, pad spreader if you don't feel comfortable with a pry tool or channel locks, and a brake bleeding kit
>>
>>14813465

>Hitachi

R A R E
A
R
E
>>
>engine hoist...
>not man handling that engine out of your own car
Jesus, you fucking people.
>>
>>14813496
>man handling that engine out of your own car
Sorry bro, not all of us own that sick geo metro
>>
File: smug2.jpg (6 KB, 250x230) Image search: [Google]
smug2.jpg
6 KB, 250x230
>>14813496

I just tie a string to my dick and drag that V8 over the fender.
>>
>>14813498
I own a 92 cherokee
>>
>>14813501
Right on, brother.
>>
>>14813319
Jack, jack stands, screwdriver set, wrench set, socket set, torque wrench and breaker bar
>>
>>14813506
So you're talking out of your asshole, because it's literally impossible for one person to pull a 4.0 I6 out with no lift. The fucking thing weighs over 500lbs
>>
>>14813506
>I own a 92 cherokee
And what do you drive?
>>
>>14813506

Then you wouldn't know about removing engines, you just leave that car on the train tracks when the engine blows.
>>
>>14813516
You only need to lift it for a few seconds to put it on a table.
>>14813518
a 92 cherokee. I'm incapable of understanding sarcasm if that's what you're getting at.
>>
>>14813523
>a 92 cherokee. I'm incapable of understanding sarcasm if that's what you're getting at.

he's saying it's a piece of shit that doesn't run

:^)
>>
>>14813523
>You only need to lift it for a few seconds to put it on a table.
You can't lift 500lbs and drop it, let alone lift a 500lb engine up and out of the fucking engine bay you dumbass
>>
Impact gun
>>
>>14813534
>You can't lift 500lbs and drop it

Tell that to your mom. And my cock.
>>
>>14813444
>Harbor Freight:
>Hammers (nylon, brass, rubber, steel)
Skip nylon, brass and rubber. Add baby sledge (3-5lb, preferably Estwing)
>Pry bars (wear eye protection)
Novice could do without.
>Magnet on a stick
>Mirror
>Hood prop
Use the existing one.
>Fender cover
Just no.
>Scan tool
Maybe the $20 bluetooth one on Amazon. Not the $5k real one.

>Ebay/Amazon Taiwanese tools (Sunex or similar)
>Screwdriver set
>Pliers set
>Vice grips
>Scraping/small pry tools
Just go with a gasket scraper and you're probably set. Screwdrivers are small prying tools.
>Flashlight
>1/2" impact set
>Craftsman:
>Socket set, 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive
Add some extensions and a couple u-joints.
>Gearwrench:
>Wrench set
>Ratcheting wrench set
Novice could do without. Would rather see a flare wrench set here.
>Ratchets
>Milwaukee/Dewalt
>Cordless impacts (1/2" and 3/8")
Skip the 3/8, replace with a 1/4 hex if you really want to have two of them and get a 1/4 to 3/8 adapter. 1/4 hex is a hell of a lot more versatile than 3/8. Get both cordless. Milwaukee is the best on the market at the moment, and have the best variety of tools on the one battery platform.
>Drill
Get the cheapest corded one you can find. In shop use, corded wins out over cordless as portability doesn't matter.
>Angle grinder
>Sawzall
Optional if you have the angle grinder and enough time. For shop use, corded wins again, though I like my cordless one for quick stuff.

I'd say that list is overkill for a lot of stuff, but it's a good "goal" list. It covers just about everything you'll need outside of specialty tools.

>>14813484
>breaker bar
Get a piece of 1" black pipe from Home Depot, cut it down into a reasonable length cheater bar.
>pad spreader
Getting into the realm of specialty tools here. Rear disc cars with integrated parking brakes require the special twist and turn tool, which can get kinda pricey. Good to have, but not necessarily required.
>>
>>14813534
Not with 2 people lifting it out of the compartment. Takes a few minutes, but it can definitely be done. Putting it back in is a different story.
>>14813530
Works just fine if you maintain it and replace the parts.
>>
>>14813552
>Not with 2 people lifting it out of the compartment. Takes a few minutes, but it can definitely be done.
Oh so now you need help
>>
>>14813319
I wouldn't consider those first 3 basic tools unless you bought a real heap of shit that needs extensive work. For basic tools you are missing I'd suggest
>jack and jackstands (don't fucking skimp on them they are the only thing between you and a horrible death)
>obd II scanner (if your car uses it)
>torque wrench
>breaker bar
>vice grips
>pry bars
>telescoping magnet
>hammer
>a metric shit ton of penetrating oil
>drain pan
>>
>>14813557
I was definitely messing around, call it a joke for normal people. Yes, 500lbs is a little much for 1 person who doesn't lift weights for living.
>>
File: my pretty tools (1).jpg (388 KB, 1000x1398) Image search: [Google]
my pretty tools (1).jpg
388 KB, 1000x1398
>>14813319

>torque wrench
>good jack + stands (don't trust your life to harbor freight)
>digital multimeter
>ratchet wrenches (craftsman has nice cheap ones)
>safety glasses (i seriously don't understand why every mechanic doesn't wear them)
>gloves or gojo hand cleaner

http://www.sears.com/tools-hand-tools/b-1020136?adcell=ToolsVertMulti1P1
>>
>>14813575
Even a person who lifts weights for a living wouldn't be able to lift a 500lb engine up and out of an engine bay
>>
>>14813583
There are pro weight lifters lifting more than that, I'm sure. Isn't the maximum weight somebody has lifted is like 1200lbs? His name is like jonas something, too lazy to google. it. But this bitch squatted that weight.
>>
>>14813602
It's about the awkwardness of lifting it up and out of the bay, dumbass. I don't care if you can squat 1200lbs, you're not going to be able to reach into an engine bay and lift the engine up and out.
>>
>>14813548
>Skip nylon, brass and rubber
Maybe I could do without nylon but the other two are essential

>Use the existing one.
Often don't work

>Just no.
Where are you going to put your tools if you don't have a cart?

>Maybe the $20 bluetooth one on Amazon. Not the $5k real one.
Haven't used one but might be good as long as you can check monitors and clear codes

>Add some extensions and a couple u-joints.
>Novice could do without. Would rather see a flare wrench set here.
>Skip the 3/8, replace with a 1/4 hex

Good calls, I actually have a 1/4 hex drive instead of a 3/8 cordless but I have an air ratchet which covers that middle ground

>Get a piece of 1" black pipe from Home Depot, cut it down into a reasonable length cheater bar.
A breaker bar is probably under 20 bucks from Harbor Freight, 100% mandatory, why would you use a pipe and risk breaking your ratchets/slipping?

>>14813564
Didn't think about fluids and drain pans, I'll update the list in a bit

>>14813582
>safety glasses (i seriously don't understand why every mechanic
Just unnatural for me
>>
>>14813465
nothing is better than dewalt. Nothing.
>>
Harbor Freight:
Hammers (nylon, brass, rubber, steel)
Pry bars (wear eye protection)
Magnet on a stick
Mirror
Hood prop
Fender cover
Scan tool (or bluetooth phone scan tool from ebay)
Line wrench set
Corded drill
Jack
Jackstands

Ebay/Amazon Taiwanese tools (Sunex or similar)
Screwdriver set
Pliers set
Vice grips
Scraping/small pry tools
Flashlight
1/2" impact set
Multimeter

Craftsman:
Socket set, 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive with extensions and swivels

Gearwrench:
Wrench set
Ratcheting wrench set
Ratchets

Milwaukee/Dewalt
Cordless impacts (1/4 hex and 1/2")
Angle grinder
Sawzall

Auto parts store:
Brake/parts cleaner
Wire brush
Penetrating oil
Self etch primer
Silicone hinge lube
Gloves
Safety glasses
drain pan
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3540x2944) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3540x2944
>>14813319
I bought pic related in maybe November when it was on sale for $40. So glad I got it. Definitely worth picking up if you see one (or something similar) for a good price. Just used it to put together my new BBQ.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>14813665
I almost bought a Gearwrench ratcheting wrench set when Sears had that big sale before Christmas. Glad I looked a little more because on the side they had the same Craftsman set for $10 more and got dat warranty with it.
>>
File: 1454294383597.gif (1018 KB, 300x167) Image search: [Google]
1454294383597.gif
1018 KB, 300x167
>>14813575
>I was just pretending to be retarded
>guys I wrench I promise
>>
>>14813665
More stuff I forgot:
anti seize
moly grease
allen and torx set

I would say it would be cool for someone to make an infographic but only 4 people on /o/ work on their own car
>>
>>14813702
I got that exact same thing to leave in muh ferd.
>>
>>14813766
Hey nigger, I changed my own wiper blades.

And OP should just get the set here >>14813702 for dem torx and hex keys. But always gotta wait for those Craftsman sets to go on sale first, it sucks buying that stuff at full price. I think that set is around $120 full retail.
>>
>>14813602
You're obviously very stupid, so let me try and describe this in a way you'll understand. In fact, I trust your reading comprehension so little, that I'll just have to give a practical example and hope you can figure it out from there without killing yourself trying to prove natural selection correct. Go get yourself a 150 pound barbell and set it on the ground in front of you. Now, deadlift it. This should be easy if you're not a little faggot. Now, set that weight down in a box, and lift it at arms length, placing a table in between you and it. Good luck, you down syndrome having autist.
>>
make sure you use gloves.
>>
>>14813777
Your retarded

>2011+5
>not having an aluminum engine block
git gud
>>
File: tools.jpg (415 KB, 1123x714) Image search: [Google]
tools.jpg
415 KB, 1123x714
Alright I am going to compile the list when it is perfected. Do Canadians have Harbor Freight?
>>
>>14813892
No we have Canadian Tire. Even though that's closer to Sears. Better tools though, equally cheap and always on sale
>>
File: toolso.jpg (3 MB, 3000x1800) Image search: [Google]
toolso.jpg
3 MB, 3000x1800
alright whats missing
>>
>>14813647
Put the drugs down son, dewalt cordless a shit for a long time.
>>
>>14813444
This is a pretty good list for a beginner. German screwdrivers and pliers are the best though.
>>
File: 20160404_103809.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160404_103809.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>14814056
Almost perfect but pittsburgh pro ratchets are a much better alternative to craftsman ratchets. There's no reason to have a corded drill unless you just want to break your wrists.

I would suggest a ir 2235 impact and an ir 118 air hammer.
>>
>>14814056
Cheap 2/3 jaw puller is useful

1/2" breaker bar, threadlocker
>>
>>14814056
Oil filter wrench/removal tool
>>
File: toolso.jpg (3 MB, 3000x1800) Image search: [Google]
toolso.jpg
3 MB, 3000x1800
>>14814133
I think corded drills are pretty useful, you can use the 1/4 impact for anything a corded one is overkill for, which reminds me to add a drill bit set

>>14814270
Was thinking about loctite but forgot to put it on there. I think pullers and presses are a little far down the specialty tool road, that's the kind of thing a home mechanic can wait til they need it for the job
>>
>>14813647
What is Hilti
>>
File: bathmate.jpg (10 KB, 398x398) Image search: [Google]
bathmate.jpg
10 KB, 398x398
>>14813319
I like these oil extractors thingys, and a Easy Brake bleed kit is nice to have.
>>
>>14813637
>Maybe I could do without nylon but the other two are essential
Really? I've never had a need for a brass hammer. Could have used a rubber one a few times, but it's easy enough to work around.

>Often don't work
Never ran into that so far. Even 30-something year old cars with springs still work.

>Where are you going to put your tools if you don't have a cart?
In the engine bay/in your pocket/on the ground. I can see having a fender cover if you have really nice paint or something, but for the everyday shitbox, it's a pointless expense.

>Haven't used one but might be good as long as you can check monitors and clear codes
That's pretty much all it's good for.

> I have an air ratchet which covers that middle ground
The new Milwaukee 1/4 hex puts out 130 lb-ft of torque, which is more than enough for most things short of lug nuts/suspension bolts/head bolts. The big impact covers everything else.

>why would you use a pipe and risk breaking your ratchets/slipping?
Because I'm cheap, lazy and already had it. And with the impact, there's not much I need a breaker bar for any more.

>>14814056
I like it, but it might be a bit much for a beginner. Pricing it out might discourage a beginner from even trying...$2k in tools vs a $200 bill from the mechanic kind of thinking.

Might want to consider reducing it down to an absolute bare bones set up, something the average person could use to do brakes/oil changes, that sort of thing.

>>14814133
>There's no reason to have a corded drill unless you just want to break your wrists.

If you don't have an air grinder, a corded drill+wire brush makes for a pretty decent cleaning set up for rusty/gunked up parts. A wire wheel for an angle grinder works well too, but can be too aggressive for some parts and usually can't fit into small spaces.
>>
>>14816886
Sweet bong
>>
>>14814056
Looks pretty good, as far as a brake bleeding kit, why not just get a motive power bleeder? I use mine a lot, one of the best $60 I have spent.

Also I know this is just preference, but I'll take air tools over cordless most of the time. Harbor freights earthquake impact is actually quite nice and for ~$150-200 you can be out the door with a compressor, hose, and impact.

Just throwing that out there, good list though
>>
File: Motorcycle Tools.jpg (2 MB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
Motorcycle Tools.jpg
2 MB, 1200x1600
bump
>>
File: my pretty tools (2).jpg (249 KB, 854x1280) Image search: [Google]
my pretty tools (2).jpg
249 KB, 854x1280
>>
>>14817275
that's fucking beautiful
>>
File: $_35.jpg (6 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
6 KB, 300x300
What's your silicone lube of choice, /o/?
>>
>>14813319
are you gonna ask mommy to buy those tools too?
>>
File: health-and-yoga-56574.jpg (33 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
health-and-yoga-56574.jpg
33 KB, 250x250
>>14816886
You don't need anything that expensive, just a cheap one like pic related.
>>
>>14817398
Haha good one lad
>>
>>14816905
I use a brass hammer for punches, knocking off brake drums, knocking in or out big suspension bolts, definitely use it more than a steel hammer because it's non marring and doesn't bounce. The cars I work on use gas struts and they pretty much never work. A fender cover is a few bucks. It's more of a list of the cheapest usable stuff to assemble over time, not go out and buy it tomorrow.

>>14817021
Even if you have an air compressor it's nice to have electric at home for people that work in their driveways, or go somewhere else to work on their car, I think if people are at the point they have an air setup they are probably beyond needing beginner tools anyway.
>>
>>14817387
Yeah, I'll probably ask for some Canadian tire money for my birthday so I can go and pick out what I like.
>>
>>14814056
Is this going to become an official sticky?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>14817275
>>14817362
There's some anon who has basically everything on a peg board on the wall behind his work bench. It looks awesome. I thought about doing something like that but I rent this house so I wasn't trying to go balls out in case I move in the future.

I still want to do something with hooks or pegs on the wall, but the wall I want to use is cement or some bullshit. I have been thinking about sinking some thick plywood or a few horizontal 2x4's into that wall and putting the hooks and pegs on that.
>>
>>14818159
It sucks enough
>>
>>14813602
Hafthor Julius Bjornson

Put a 1200 lb log on his back and walked 9 steps, technically makes him the strongest man in the world.
>>
Test light/Power Probe.
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 450x450
>>14814056
Oh I thought of one, wire stripper/crimper tool. Not the shitty flat ones from HF, but like pic related. Also soldering iron and solder if it's not on there.
>>
>>14814056
a good corded dremel brand dremel with the flex shaft will fucking save your ass if you cant get a saw all or angle grinder in there.

or dont want to fuck up surrounding areas.

although an air powered one will be better some of us dont have a non shit compressor and their still bulky
>>
File: carve-2.jpg (18 KB, 450x261) Image search: [Google]
carve-2.jpg
18 KB, 450x261
>>14819679
>>
>>14814333
Needs more memes.
>>
>>14816905
>o
tools can be cheap if you don't mind looking on gumtree or craigslist. know people that have bought full sidchrome tool kits for like 20 bucks at garage sales usually off some woman selling her husbands tools
>>
Butter Spreaders. Hard to find but well worth the money. Just dont buy them used as the tips might be bent to one side. Can literally do an engine swap with these bad boys!
>>
>>14819873
What if they're illegal in my country?
>>
>>14820765
Margarine Lathes work just as well.
>>
>>14813496
We cant all still be riding our PW50's

Fuckton of great suggestions here, I'll add a few that may or may not have been mentionef, and may or may not be considered tools.

>protection goggles
I use clear motocross goggles. Covers everything, doesnt fall off no matter what
>kneepads
You'll figure that one out
>oil filter cups
Makes removing them a walk in the park
>multimeter
Pretty much obligatory when doing anything electrical
>crimping tools and connectors
No explanation needed
>battery charger
One of the shittiest things to need and not have
>>
>>14820911
kneepads are the most important tool for a career mechanic (especially at dealerships) but not nearly as useful at home
>>
>>14820946
$20 kneepads for the 10 times a year I'll be sitting on my knees for hours doing some shitty job seems like a solid investment to me

What makes them nor as useful?
>>
>>14814056
Can we change magnet on a stick to magnet on a telescoping stick?
>>
>>14819873
Dude I just get christmas tree removers
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.