[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Brakes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: carbrake.jpg (57 KB, 570x290) Image search: [Google]
carbrake.jpg
57 KB, 570x290
Hi /o/, My car needs a lot of pressure to finally get the car to come to a full stop. I have to really press down on the brake pedal.

I have a friend who's going to check it out for me, but he's not available for a week or two. What info can you guys give me on car brakes? I'm just curious as to how they work, what brake fluid is, and if I may even be able to work/fix on this myself.
Thanks
>>
>>14811076

Better take it to a technician sooner because it sounds like you have a leak and there's not enough brake(hydraulic) fluid to properly push the pads against the rotors. Don't drive that car unless you like uncontrollably running into things.
>>
File: 1403605043572.jpg (143 KB, 1265x697) Image search: [Google]
1403605043572.jpg
143 KB, 1265x697
Start with what car/model you got.
>>
>>14811076
No, brakes are precision beyond a simple pad change. Do not fuck with them without at a decent foundation of automotive knowkege. Not trying to be a dick but they're very delicate.
>>
>>14811076
Does your handbrake/parking brake light stay on while driving?

With the engine off, If you press the brake pedal does it feel firm?

If you then pump the brake pedal does the pedal become firmer?

If after pumping the pedal you keep it pressed in does the pedal slowly sink to the floor?
>>
File: shocked starting yellow.png (1 MB, 1037x783) Image search: [Google]
shocked starting yellow.png
1 MB, 1037x783
>>14811126
>Better take it to a technician sooner because it sounds like you have a leak and there's not enough brake(hydraulic) fluid to properly push the pads against the rotors.
>Don't drive that car unless you like uncontrollably running into things.

Aw fuck. Well, I've driven it for 200 miles already, and have been fine. Never have I needed to STOMP on the brakes or anything. I just find that I need to put more pressure on it compared to other cars. Also, when I begin to gradually brake (i.e. coming to a red light) I feel the car jerk a little bit.

How much would something like this cost me to fix?

>>14811131
93 Buick LeSabre
>>
>>14811199
>Does your handbrake/parking brake light stay on while driving?
No

I'll try the other 3 right now. Brb
>>
>>14811199
It actually sounds like you have a servo leak or shot pads/rotors, but that's harder to diagnose than air in the system
>>
>>14811199
>With the engine off, If you press the brake pedal does it feel firm?
Nope

No

And no
>>
>>14811204
Must be your egt sensor
>>
>>14811241
Okay, so you probably don't have a fluid leak or air in the system.

Next step would be to go and check the servo for vacuum leaks and check the condition of the pads and rotors.
>>
File: brake+rotor1347755845.jpg (80 KB, 800x598) Image search: [Google]
brake+rotor1347755845.jpg
80 KB, 800x598
>>14811076
most brake failures are because you've worn the pads and discs out completely, turning up the radio to ignore the rocks-in-a-blender noises. common with automatic drivers who rest their foot on the brake at all times.

much less common, if the vacuum line to the brake servo is kinked, cut or disconnected then you don't get any brake assist.

anyway ride the bus until you fix the problem.
>>
OP here. Just read this from Honda forums by googling my brake issues:

"Turn car off. Press on brake pedal, and it should be hard. Leave foot pressed on brake pedal and start car. As engine vacuum adds force to the brake pedal via the brake booster, pedal will go down, and feel much softer, until you reach max pressure. Brake booster reduces required pedal effort, so it feels completely different when car is off compared to on. If pedal is hard when motor is off, goes down and is softer when motor is on, and goes back to hard when motor is turned off, everything is likely normal."

Everything this guy did works for me. Hmm.
>>
>>14811310
if it's not the booster then you need to pull the wheels off and investigate.

search youtube, it'll probably have videos of a brake job being done on your exact car.
>>
>>14811310
It could just be that your pads, rotors and tyres are cheap rubbish.

I've felt the difference when changing to budget tyres and fitting cheap ebay brake kits.
>>
OP here. Thanks guys for the info
>>
>>14811273
Wouldn't it be the other way around? If it feels harder with the engine off then that means his booster is working (to some extent), so that makes air in the system or a vacuum or fluid leak more likely.
>>
>>14811076
Probably time for a brake fluid change/flush.
>Soft pedal feel
>Not brake fluid
>>
>>14811280
>that picture
Ow, family.
>>
>>14811280
Caption for this picture "Can these rotors be turned? I looked really hard and couldn't find the right ones."
>>
>>14811280
I had a Silverado 2500 HD in my stall once that looked like this. The other side the rotor broke free from the hub mount portion of the disc assembly and really fucked shit up. 2500 dollar brake job. I ended up replacing.

Caliper/caliper bracket
Front hub bearing
Inner and outer tie rod on that side.
Lower control arm due to the rotor wrecking the ball joint
Rubber brake line from the frame rail to the caliper
1 16 inch aluminum wheel
2 new rotors and pads front and rear the rears were done as well.

Moral of the story, if a mechanic says your car will need brakes soon. That doesnt mean drive it another 25k
>>
Just did a break job on a 02 avalanche rear and the inside of the rotor was gone and the caliper piston was ripped out by the fins andon the bracket the slide was seized.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.