[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the fuck are they going to stop making the Defender??
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
Why the fuck are they going to stop making the Defender??
>>
Doesn't meet safety regulations I presume.
>>
>>14809293
This. Silly EU laws killed off a classic design, again.
>>
>>14809292
Can't meet pedestrian safety regulations, basically the EU killed it
>>
OP here

I planned on purchasing one, when will they be unavailable? I just read an article about people trying to get their hands on the last ones in Aus?

Is there any good alternative to the Defender???
>>
It's been entirely superseded by the LandCruiser 90 at the serious end, and compact Japanese pickups (/based SUVs) at the lower end.
>>
>>14809297
They already lost the developing world market (African safaris, etc.) long ago. There was no point in keeping it around as a first-world novelty.
>>
>>14809345
It kept growing in price without really growing in ability.

Still, if you want a rugged, simple off roader the Defender is the premier choice, but it was the same price (or more expensive) than Hiluxes and Warriors, which were just as good and much more reliable.
>>
i really want a defender

but they are like 80k in the USA.
>>
>>14809436
they're like £3k for the cheapest here in the UK can't you just import one?
>>
>>14809453
if it's older then 25 years. But even then its a PIA.
>>
>>14809461
>if it's older then 25 years. But even then its a PIA.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C721204

There you go mate, 1989 Land Rover 90 pickup
>>
>>14809312
Merc G-Wagen?
>>
>>14809292
> Going to
HAVE stopped. The last one rolled off the lines.

As for why? Farmers don't buy new cars. The military dropped the Land Rover after finding out they couldn't be armoured to mine-resistant spec. That's two major customer bases gone, leaving them with 'enthusiasts'.

The major problem is that they just don't break. As long as there are spares, the old ones will continue to run. Market is saturated.
>>
>>14809292
The same reason they killed the viper.
>>
>tfw no LS swapped Land Rover
>>
File: uaz_patriot_1st_suv5d-4795.jpg (364 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
uaz_patriot_1st_suv5d-4795.jpg
364 KB, 1600x1200
>>14809312
>Is there any good alternative to the Defender???

As in, an extremely dated 4x4 that you can repair in a cave with a box of scraps? I guess this one, lol.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.