[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Edelbrock 1400 on Chevy 350 - No start
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 300x246) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 300x246
I'm new to carbureted engines. I rebuilt my Edelbrock 1400 today with an edlebrock kit following all instructions. It was running fine before disassembly, now I can't even get it to start. With the filter off if I pull the throttle linkage I can see and smell fuel. I messed with the idle mixture screws before taking it off. What are some possible problems? I have spark, fuel, and compression yet it won't even kick, it just cranks and cranks.
>>
>>14807502
you might have flooded it. let it sit for half an hour, and try spraying some ether in that bitch.
>>
1400cfm is a lot of carb on a 350. Going to be so twitchy and hard to tune.
>>
>>14807526
1400 is the model. It's 600cfm
>>
>>14807508
I'll give it a shot, I think the electric fuel pump the PO put on it is making to many psi fuel pressure, but it ran before that's why I'm perplexed
>>
>>14807502
Edelbrock carbs don't like more than 5psi fuel pressure. Put a regulator before the carb, set it to 5psi.
>>
>>14807726
Will do. I'm just curios as to why it was running before but not now
>>
>>14807740
Electric fuel pump?
Will it start under throttle and not idle?
Might be fair to tear it back down and double check, find a youtube tutorial to watch as you go.
Edelbrock's are pretty simple, I have a 1405 I pulled off my truck recently. Runs good with it.
>>
>>14807823
It isn't starting period. I'll try some starter fluid tomorrow. There's def fuel getting to the carb though, I can see it spraying when pulling the throttle by hand
>>
>>14807835
Did your set your float level to spec?
No Vaccum leaks or anything?
>>
Most likely flooded if you can smell gas. WOT when starting can help clear the engine. If it's cold enough the starter will spin but the engine wont crank whatsoever.
>>
Ues an ecu and efi faget
>>
Make sure you dont dump too much fuel in the oil. My buddy locked up a ford 300-6 after he rebuilt the carb.
>>
My Guess is that you have a bad Vac leak. Make sure all ports are connected or bunged off.
>>
>>14807691
>electric fuel pump

theres your problem. rip that shit out and put a mechanical one on.

I just had to do it to my 86 k10. I bought it from some guy and its all whack. Electric fuel pump up in the engine bay, and wires, wires everywhere. One day it just died while driving and after towing it home I let it sit a few months because winter was tough here. Fucked around a bit and found the pump was the problem so I took it off and installed a mechanical one and it runs like a champ now.
>>
Having just rebuilt my 1407 a couple weeks back ill give some advice.

1. Check your float height and fuel level in the bowls.
2. Assure your power valve linkage is in the correct spot ton the cam (metal bracket to the PV)
3. Adjust your idle speed screw all the way out and back in until your throttle has pressure on it. Add a quarter turn.
4. Set your primary and secondary idle screws all the way in and back out 2 to 2.5 turns out. That is close to factory specs.
5. While checking the internals, ensure your needles are in the correct orientation and they did not fall out while installing the floats.
6. Ensure the check ball is under your primary squirter. It will cause hell if you don't.

I'll be lurking but pics will help. Do you have a 1405 or a 1406? If a 1405, ensure your linkage is set correctly or your secondaries may be opening prematurely causing a too rich to run condition. If you still have a choke, ensure it is fully closed and do NOT pump the gas while cranking, hold it at 1/3 throttle max after a max of 3 pumps. The 3 pumps are unnecessary if you have primed the carb and the bowls are full and can flood the engine.
>>
>>14812210
And I just saw that you are running an electric fuel pump. If you don't have it mounted in or in close proximity to the tank, it will not work properly. Use a fuel pressure regulator or a mechanical pump.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.