[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the 5.8 liter challenger worth it? It's a v8, but it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: StatesRightsGist.jpg (24 KB, 266x354) Image search: [Google]
StatesRightsGist.jpg
24 KB, 266x354
Is the 5.8 liter challenger worth it? It's a v8, but it's not actually that fast.

Would I regret it like people regret buying v6 mustangs?
>>
>>14806024
They're pretty decent at roasting tires and they're a great platform to build from
>>
>>14806024
Depends on the price and if you like it. It has more room than the Camaro or Mustang and has retained its good looks even with a model update. The 5.7 may seem underpowered, but the bottom end can handle 550-600 ponies reliably on pump gas and upgrades are decently cheap for what it is. Just make certain its not the 5 speed automatic as that Mercedes trans, while beefy, will be insanely expensive to fix if it goes wrong. The Tremec however, is a great trans as is the 8HP Automatic.
>>
>>14806024
Why would you get the 5.8 instead of the 6.4?

Honest question.

Better aftermarket?

I'm looking hard at challengers, like the looks more than the mustang, but I kinda hate the interior.

Mustang i was looking at didn't have any touchscreens, just buttons. Loved that.

Challenger does have a much better trunk/backseat.
>>
>>14806024

Dude get the fucking Scat Pack version. They're nearly the same price. You can lease one for like $400 a month, then get a loan to pay off the residual later if you want to keep it.

Don't fucking waste your time on the 5.8.
>>
>>14808787
Agreed. The Scat Pack is one of the best "Performance per $$$" packages available right now. 485HP, great looks, great sound, $38K base price. The Alpine sound system package, for $795, is a good idea too. Heard the same setup in a Dart, and it sounds amazing.
>>
>>14806024

>5.8

I've owned my R/T for almost four years now. Zero regret. Best car I've ever owned. When I finally have the time and money, I'm going to start building it up into a track car. Shit loads of potential in the Hemi. Stock block can make ludicrous power.

Even it it's stock form, it's still capable of 0-60 in 5.3 seconds and has a top speed of 170 with the limiter removed. It's comfy as fuck and amazing on long drives. Literally everyone likes these cars, too. People will come up and ask about it.
>>
>>14808461

Current theory in the Mopar crowd is that a 5.7 has more potential than a 6.4. The 5.7 has greater potential for stroke and bore, able to run out to 392 or 400ci without much fear of overworking the block. Parts are, seemingly, cheaper owing to more proliferation of the R/T over the SRT.

I specifically bought my R/T for modification because there was more I could do with it.
>>
>>14806024
Yes, although I'd personally considered a Charger instead. Just as pigfat, slightly more room, more doors.

>>14808787
>>14808841
Scat Pack is currently the best value proposition in the entire US industry if you ask me. It's even got the correct Mopar displacement at 392ci. It's powerful, sounds nice, gets decent gas mileage, and they're cheap as hell.
Now if they'd just offer a manual Scat Pack Charger wagon.....

>>14809026
>Stock block can make ludicrous power.
This. Hemi head airflow is best airflow.

>>14809041
That's wrong though. The 6.4 block can take a bigger overbore, and can go up to 440ci with commong stroker kits. 426ci is really pushing ut on the 5.7's iirc.
They really should offer the blocks in aluminium though, and sone factory 426-equipped models would be nice.
>>
>>14809041
>>14809083
Not to mention airflow on the 6.4 heads can exceed 370cfm if you port them right. Let's see a stock 5.7 head do that.
>>
>>14808841
38,000 IS OVER THE YEARLY HOUSEHOLD MEDIAN INCOME IN THE UNITED STATES

THERE IS NO WAY THE AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD COULD OWN THIS CAR

ITS NOT EVEN FAST FOR FUCKING 38,000$$$$$$$$
>>
>>14809147
Hurrhurr people can't save
>>
>>14809083
>charger wagon
They should really do this. Just base it off the old Magnum, with that new Charger front end grafted on. Then equip it with all the new drivetrain options. Maybe offer AWD, too. If nothing else, they'd sell enough of 'em to niggers to make a profit. Not to mention how many of the V6 models they'd sell to those mid-30s women who just discovered the wonders of credit and recently decided to go to nursing school.
>>
>>14809147
It's called credit, fucktard. Not to mention trade-ins. Most people don't buy brand new cars with cash.
>>
>>14809083
Yes the 6.4 can hit 440 cubes fairly quickly with a stroker kit, but the upgrade parts for the 5.7 will be less expensive as well. For what he would spend on a scat pack (which I agree is best bang for buck period) he could have an RT and put nearly 10k into a cam, forced induction, larger injectors, exhaust, and a tune and be around 560-600 very quickly. Even though the scat pack has the benefit of being able to be bored and stroked even more, the 5.7 will make plenty of power for the average street strip application for a lower cost. Down the road, the Tremec will bolt right up to the larger 6.4 so when the current Gen of 6.4 trucks hit the junkyards in a few years and the engines drop in price, he will be able to have the higher potential at a more attractive price point.

Tl;dr Get the Scat Pack if you can afford it, but know you wont be hurting with the 5.7.
>>
I think you'll regret buying a Challenger, period.
>>
>>14806024
In almost every head-to-head comparison between the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger, the Challenger was dead last... until the Hellcat came along. The Hellcat is the only version of the Challenger that's worth considering, every other version is outclassed by it's equivalent-class Mustang or Camaro.
>>
>>14809118

This is retarded. You can buy way more efficient long tube heads for the 5.7 than they even offer for the 6.4. There is way more aftermarket for the base Hemi, meaning there's way more potential. Yeah, "theoretically" a 392 can be better, but no one offers parts or kits with warranties like with its sibling block.
>>
>>14809653

>memeing this hard

The Scat Pack is more powerful and faster than an SS or a GT.
>>
>>14809653
It's not even the same class of car son. The Camaro and Mustang are smaller Pony cars. The Challenger is a muscle car with a back seat you may consider using as opposed to being there to appease insurance companies. The Challenger is also more comfortable than either you listed in town or on the highway. Sure, its slower than the others, but it is not what it should be fighting against for sales. Really, no one else has a car of that class unless Chevy decides to come back with a Chevelle and Ford the Torino. Muscle is more than just raw speed and track times, its about cruising and comfort with some ass to make it fun.
>>
>>14808461
It's much cheaper.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.