[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /o/s opinion of the new 4runner? Wife needs a new vehicle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: 2016-Toyota-4Runner-3.jpg (67 KB, 650x431) Image search: [Google]
2016-Toyota-4Runner-3.jpg
67 KB, 650x431
What is /o/s opinion of the new 4runner? Wife needs a new vehicle and has been looking pretty hard at these.
>>
I bought a 2015 Trail edition for the wife. She loves it. She previously drove a 98 explorer. She has a deep hate for mini vans (thank god), but she really likes SUVs.
It is a very fun very capable SUV that is really easy to live with. The MPG is pretty decent for that big v6 and it has plenty of power.
Any other questions about it?
>>
File: 2016-Toyota-4Runner-TRD-Pro-01.jpg (120 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
2016-Toyota-4Runner-TRD-Pro-01.jpg
120 KB, 640x480
My neighbor bought pic related, seems nice for a fuckhuge SUV but is also a bit rice.
>>
4runners are fucking fantastic and all large Toyotas hold their value like fucking gold. Go for it.
>>
>>14805972
Sounds like my wife. She absolutely hates the crossover shit and wanted an old school truck like SUV. Do you have the low range selector dial? Is it useful? Seems to me it's more suited to heavy duty rock climbing shit.
>>
>>14805995
I like that look. You really think they are that big? I have a Tundra, so naturally they seem more nimble to me.
>>
>>14806073
I drive a Fiesta so everything is large to me, it does look nice and I'm sure its comfy though it might never see a trail.
>>
>>14805931
Shut up and buy a civic for 5k or less.
>>
>>14806107
>Shut up and buy a civic for 5k or less.

>150k household income
>roll in a shitbox

Yeah, nah.
>>
They need to put at least a six speed on it. Something to up the abysmal mpgs.
>>
>>14806158
>Something to up the abysmal mpgs.
I don't even know if that would help. They are pigheavy for their size.
>>
>>14806154
Do you tow? Do you ever carry around more than 4 people?
>>
>>14806185
Yeah we have two 5'11 daughters, and a utility trailer. Any heavy towing I can do with my Tundra.
>>
>>14806185
Oh...more than 4 people? Not usually. Have a mastiff and a pit bull that sometimes go for rides, or the kids friends on occasion.
>>
>>14806215
Used Lexus LS. Fuck mall crawlers. Tow exclusively with your truck.
>>
>>14806227
>Used Lexus LS.
I wish....she has never had a new car, while I've had one and like 4 new motorcycles over the years. She is hell bent on new.
>>
>>14806227
>Lexus LS.
I even tried to talk her into a sweet ass Avalon they had in the showroom.
>>
>>14806251
Of course. There's no reasoning with her. She's a dumb bitch that wants
>muh ride height
>>
>>14805972
BS
>>
>>14806326
>>muh ride height
You nailed it. That being said, there are worse choices of vehicles out there. Plus we live in Pittsburgh.
>>
>>14806375
Maybe try and sell her on how it's really not the most comfortable SUV she could be driving or something along those lines.
>>
>>14805931
Get her the Trd pro version
>>
>>14806391
Yeah but what are the good ones these days? She wants old school truck shit. The only other one that even slightly interested her was an Armada, and we don't need one of those monsters.
>>
>>14806405
>Get her the Trd pro version
She want's an sr5 premium....It's her vehicle, I let her choose what she wants. If it it was mine, yeah, it'd be the TRD. I'm still kicking myself for not getting a Tundra with that package.
>>
>>14806414
I don't really know, competitors I would imagine are the Ford Edge, Mazda CX-9, Audi Q7, etc.
>>
>>14806414

The only old-school truck SUVs are Tahoe/Yukon, Suburban/Yukon XL, Expedition/Navigator, Armada, Sequoia, 4Runner, Grand Cherokee, Durango, Land Rover (don't recall which models, but I believe Evoque is the non truck one).
>>
>>14806227
>mall crawler
>4runner
Nigger I will fight you
>>
>>14806454
Grand Cherokee/Durango are unibody.
>>
>>14806215
You have two daughters, and only make $150k a year and think you should buy a $40k SUV?
>>
>>14806815
>and only make $150k
Fuck off.
>>
get a land cruiser, pajero or patrol.
>>
>>14806651

as are modern land rovers. His list is shit.
>>
4.0 is underpowered, unrefined and drinks gas almost on par with op's alleged tundra. would not buy. i'd have a jeep grand cherokee summit instead.
>>
>>14807371
>alleged tundra.
Good God what a poorfag board.
>>
>>14807371
>>14806651
I drove both a grand cherokee and a 4runner, they are very different

The grand cherokee feels much more floaty, almost like a luxobarge, especially at higher speed. The 4runner feels much more rigid and truck-like, feels more solid. I'd feel more confident taking a 4runner off-road than a grand cherokee.

>>14807371
May not be a powerplant compared to the GC's 5.7 V8(which gets like 12-13 mpg), but it's perfectly competent.

Not too mention build quality and resale value
>>
Subaru Outback has more ground clearance than a wrangler
>>
File: 2007 Toyota 4runner v8 4WD.jpg (68 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
2007 Toyota 4runner v8 4WD.jpg
68 KB, 960x720
>>14807449
4Runners are great, if you don't mind the fuel economy. The 4.0's are plenty powerful, they've got a lot of headroom, and they are VERY Safe. There's not a lot of fights one of these big fucks will lose.

I own a 07' 4th Gen V8 though, which is as big as the 4Runners ever got (4,800 pounds curb, 7,000lb tow capacity on 4WD).

Get her a 4Runner. The reason no one really ever talks about them is because there's not much to say beyond "Yeah, it's a solid, Body-on-Frame SUV that's an all around good vehicle."

There's not really anything to bag on with them, besides the styling, which is personal preference anyways.

My only real qualm is they STILL haven't moved up from a 5-speed Transmission.
>>
>>14806215

why are your daughters literally amazons. Also you should totally get a 4runner.
>>
I work on them every day and there is one outstanding thing about 4-Runners. They have fewer recalls than most all other Toyota models.

So...they have that going on.
>>
>>14806064
Sorry Had to go to work.
The Trail edition comes with the old style manual transfer case. It is the same as the ones in the 80s 4runners. The controls on the trail let you tackle pretty much anything you have the clearance for. It will literally drive it self over almost anything. It sounds weird but it is pretty amazing to see. I took my wife to an off-road park so she could learn to use all the controls and holy shit what a difference the crawl control makes to a novice. You turn the selector to how fast you want to go then let off the brakes, the truck does the rest.
For an occasional dusty trail it is probably pretty excess but if you ever needed it (or your wife) it is sure nice to have.
Google some of the videos, they show plenty of trucks getting unstuck with the crawl control in deep sand.
>>
>>14807557
So stay away from Toyotas...gotcha!
>>
>>14806454

land cruisers can literally be trucks. The only other toyota truck based suv is the sequoia. And of course the hilux.
>>
>>14806215
>5'11" daughters
Well I guess you never have to worry about them having boyfriends
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.