[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there such thing as a modern car that isn't fat? Apparently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
File: fatcar4.jpg (31 KB, 450x364) Image search: [Google]
fatcar4.jpg
31 KB, 450x364
Is there such thing as a modern car that isn't fat?
Apparently cars have become an average of 20cm wider since the 90s.
>>
>>14801549
No.
that's what you get from letting americans decide on design trends.
>>
>>14801564
trends are followed you idiot. it means nothing if nobody was dumb enough to buy them. blame the average tool who thinks it's ok to be thick.
>>
>>14801549
pretty certain it's due to laws

pedestrian safety rules have fucked up car design
>>
Many new cars are lighter than their predecessors were.

For example:
2016 Chevrolet Camaro
2016 Chevrolet Volt
2016 Chevrolet Malibu
2016 Cadillac CTS

Find New Roads™
>>
>>14801674
>look guys we built a car that weighs LESS than 3 tonnes
>>
>>14801564
>its americas fault

im guessing germany
>>
is it due to american safety laws? or do all countries have similar ones these days.
>>
>>14801674
>'murican pigfatties lose some weight
>look guys we build something on 4nwheels that weighs less than a house
Meanwhile your mums shitty hatchback weighs as much as an 80s SUV.
>>
>>14801549
No, there's a few reasons for it
>1) New car market is completely dominated by the female share. For 'normal' cars i.e. not top of the range 'super'/'enthusiast' cars most purchases are decided by a woman either in full or as part of a couple so that's who companies market to
>2) Women purchase much more based on specific 'safety ratings' than men causing manufacturers to go towards them, especially the EU Regs rating system meaning pigfat cars with zero visibility that are actually pretty unsafe, especially since women tend to buy SUV's etc
>3) Women also tend to buy cars that 'feel' safe which generally equates to cars that are underpowered with poor visibility, since their spatial awareness/active visualization is poor they aren't actually looking anywhere but straight ahead so less visibility just makes them feel safer
>4) As with visibility a more detached feeling helps reassure the driver so these modern cars have suspension/steering/throttle/driver aids that detach the driver from the road feel as much as possible.

There's also leasing/service contracts etc that are brought in due to differences in gender purchasing.

The end result is effectively young men pretty much solely purchase used cars and although men and women purchase pretty much the same number of cars this statistic is misleading since a lot of male new car purchases are from part of a couple where the woman had the deciding vote anyway.

What that means is pretty much all young male buying power is in used cars which car makers don't care about, they dont' get any money from that hence nearly all new modern cars in an affordable price range are aimed at pleasing a female driver.

Enthusiast performance car brands are still excellent cars however are priced at more middle-aged or high-wage professional men. These brands are vastly purchased by males and still have good driving qualities but the average /o/ user will not be in those demographics

Hence new car = bad.
>>
>>14801722
It's international, no one would modify a car to fit a certain market anymore, they just engineer it like that from the start and the platform is then adopted by different manufacturers. The only manufacturers that still build their cars the way they want and then add some fattyness to sell it in the US market are guys like Ferrari, Koeniggsegg, McLaren and just recently Alfa too with the 4C.
>>
>>14801732

But the 80s SUV would crush like an aluminum can in the same accident that the driver of the hatchback would be able to walk away from unscathed.

If the 80s SUV was modified to be able to absorb the crash force the same as the hatchback, it would weigh a lot more.

If all variables are accounted for, old cars weigh more.
>>
>>14801768
>>14801768
>99 spec Impreza STI Curb Weight 1200-1270kg depending on trim
>'16 spec Impreza STI Curb weight 1550-1600kg depending on trim
>>
>>14801786
>Didn't read the post
>>
>>14801768
>implying i give a shit about safety
If the car is so fucking heavy it understeers at moderate speeds.
I don't feel fucking safe at all.
Sure you'll walk away from the crash, but say you wouldn't have crashed in the first place if the car didn't weigh 300kg more than it's supposed to and didn't have ecocondoms for tires.
>>
>>14801819
The 99 spec impreza is lighter for reasons that the 16 spec cannot match, plus it has a bunch of luxury items jammed in that I don't personally car about.

The 99 spec is also actually damn good in side on collisions which is all I care about. Given how much better the visibility is I am far less likely to get into a crash compared to bunkerbox newer cars.

The features that make it 400kg heavier might be safer on averages but I'm not a population I'm an individual and as a result would much rather have the control be in my hands rather than in a forcible downgrade of the driving quality to get on average improvements.
>>
>>14801825
And if you could see anything wasn't directly in front of you it'd help.
>>
>>14801825
>Sure you'll walk away from the crash, but say you wouldn't have crashed in the first place if the car didn't weigh 300kg more than it's supposed to and didn't have ecocondoms for tires.

So basically, you could either crash now and survive, or crash later and die.

Do you see the error in your logic?
>>
>>14801856
In relation to the number of people driving and hours driven the amount of people that die on the road is very small

Fatal traffic incidents are almost always driver error and not factors outside of your control, if an incident is outside of your control and serious enough to kill you then you were probably fucked regardless of your car [sideswiped by 70mph truck etc]

Basically my point is it isn't a random event, it's entirely upon YOU the driver to ensure you don't die. Most modern cars are designed upon the law of averages i.e take power away from the driver and just gamble upon making an on-average reduction which for an individual is not necessarily the best option.
>>
>>14801674
92 V8 camaro 3100lb
02 camaro ss 3350lb
2010 camaro ss 3850lb
2016 camaro ss 3700lb

Real strides here folks, the 16' even runs the same 1/4 mile as the 02 did.
>>
>>14801883

see

>>14801768
>>
>>14801870
>if an incident is outside of your control and serious enough to kill you then you were probably fucked regardless of your car

That simply isn't true.
>>
>>14801768
>IF you add in magic weight that doesn't exist it weighs the same amount!

lol
>>
>>14801963

Actually, steel.

All that extra steel under the bodywork of new cars is the majority of the extra weight.
>>
>>14801925
Fatal traffic accidents ARE mostly by the error of the driver

Of cars I have driven both new and old, for example the STI, the old variant was nimbler and had far better all around vision meaning an accident was more likely to be in my control to prevent.

Safety measures are inherently flawed for an individual as they are based upon the average of the entire population. The average person doesn't check their tire pressure, doesn't check their brakes, can't handle with a loss of grip, doesn't know what to do when wheels lock up, don't check their mirrors often.

It's like aim assist in console FPS, yeah its a better experience for the average idiot but if you're half decent you go on PC and have a way higher fidelity experience.
>>
>>14801994
>Fatal traffic accidents ARE mostly by the error of the driver

And because the car couldn't protect them.
>>
>>14802029
Thanks for proving my point

The new cars are laden with stuff to protect retards that don't know their limits or are too incapable to even know the limits exist

If I really didn't want to die I could take plenty of older model cars and fit them with a full rollbar and safety cage set up and drive in coveralls with a helmet and get better safety than the equivalent modern model
>>
>>14802177
>The new cars are laden with stuff to protect retards that don't know their limits or are too incapable to even know the limits exist

Everyone makes mistakes.
>>
>>14802190
>Every system has faults
>Every manufacturing system has defects

I trust myself not to allow me to get into a situation on a public road where a driver error could result in my death.
>>
>>14802212
>I trust myself

Therein lies your fault.
>>
It has nothing to do with trends. It's simply regulation and the batshit crazy bueraucrats who obsess over making rules so soccer moms and grandmas can vote for them.

soon the EU(SSR) will require obligatory tire pressure sensors because muh fuel efficiency unnecessarily elevating the cost of all vehicles. But imagine the savings you'll get with 1 litre of gasoline per year less. After that they plan to require the auto-brake technology and when the autonomous cars take over, they're gonna ban manual driving cars.
>>
File: image_1017_1_5125.jpg (7 KB, 300x270) Image search: [Google]
image_1017_1_5125.jpg
7 KB, 300x270
>>14803216
>soon the EU(SSR) will require obligatory tire pressure sensors

are euros not familiar with this?
>>
>>14801908
doesn't justify decreased visibility and tiny fucking meme windows on cars.

sure make them bigger who cares but don't fucking BLOAT them.

nobody gives a fuck about aerodynamics, these aren't race cars. why do manufacturers seem to try to make every car the next lowest drag coefficient car?
>>
>>14803216

They mandated them here in the States because people are too fucking stupid and lazy to check their tire pressure monthly

It's the stupid and lazy that give us the Nanny State.
>>
>>14801549
Cars are actually getting progressively lighter than their predecessors.
>>
>>14802190
and people should pay for their mistakes
>>
>>14803216
>"We're gonna save you money! Accept our regulations"
>Tire valves are now £50 fancy electronics with a million things to go wrong rather than a free valve

T-thanks EU

really fucking hope Britain votes to get out of this cancerous failed experiment.
>>
>>14801549

Modern cars need the fender flares to clear the massive tires and brakes.

/thread.
>>
>>14804044
My tyre valves cost £2????
>>
>>14804147
>My tyre valves cost £2????

Yet.

Yet, anon.
>>
>>14803866
>doesn't justify decreased visibility and tiny fucking meme windows on cars.

Thick pillars are a byproduct of roof strengthening. Taller belt lines offer more shielding in a side collision.

>why do manufacturers seem to try to make every car the next lowest drag coefficient car?

To increase fuel economy.
>>
>>14803887

I disagree.
>>
File: 1459019213974.gif (211 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
1459019213974.gif
211 KB, 480x320
>>14801883
fastest 1/4 time of a 02 SS was 12.89
fastest 2016 SS ran 11.8

it's not even close
>>
man, nissan and toyota used to make the best little trucks. now they are all fuckhuge brodozers.
>>
>>14801564
>>14801719
Blame women for demanding bullshit safety measures and thinking of the chilluns.

Now instead of splitting some jaywalking cunt in two in your 300ZX you'll just cripple them in your 370Z and get raped for compensation.
>>
File: 234567813425.jpg (60 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
234567813425.jpg
60 KB, 800x450
all this mad
>>
File: blunderburd.jpg (103 KB, 894x582) Image search: [Google]
blunderburd.jpg
103 KB, 894x582
>>14807199
>>
>>14807206
>>
File: $_57.jpg (400 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
400 KB, 1600x1066
>>14807212
>>
File: copcar104.jpg (62 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
copcar104.jpg
62 KB, 800x600
>>14807223
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.