[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Immediate unexpected dangers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9
File: 29052009133.jpg (149 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
29052009133.jpg
149 KB, 1024x768
What are immediate, sudden, dangerous things that can happen whilst driving? Want to do some research on how to safely deal with such occurrences.

I mean things like:
>Tyre Blowouts
>Suspension dropping/crashing down
>Engine cutting out
Is there anything else kind of like this that can happen?
>>
>>14799149
if some sort of evil entity takes control of the vehicle with malicious intent, that could be very dangerous
>>
Most of those have pretty tell-tail signs. Usually ignored by the owner.
>>
>>14799149
>Flywheel explodes, immediately leaving you with stumps instead of feet.
>You are stopped and somebody doesn't for some reason hitting you
>Black people
>>
>>14799149
ABS miscalculations
>>
>>14799149
>What are immediate, sudden, dangerous things that can happen whilst driving?
unexpected coffee farts
>>
Strut breaking in half on the way back from grocery store
>>
>>14799149
being in a manual and stalling the car as your doing a quick pull out across a lane

I had it happen one time and my ass puckered so tight I swear to God I thought my time had finally come

luckily the guy stopped in time and there was no collision whatsoever
>>
>>14799339
>being in a manual and stalling the car as your doing a quick pull out across a lane
i'm just learning to drive manual and this is the scariest thing
I usually wait till theres a huge opening or give it a shitload of gas
>>
>>14799244
what causes a flywheel to explode? Not resurfacing or fractures in it?
>>
engine mount breaking, which can pull your throttle cable taught so you are stuck at 100% throttle
>>
File: bj4run2.jpg (48 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
bj4run2.jpg
48 KB, 800x600
Ball joint failure
>>
>>14799526
>DBW ftw
>>
>>14799528
I had it happen on the freeway, actually the ball joint itself was ok but it punched through my stamped upper control arm and I lost steering. Fortunately I was going uphill and was in the right lane, was a close one. I highly recommend not having a front suspension or steering failure on the freeway.
>>
Clutch flying apart and coming to visit you inside the cabin.

Timing belt failure.

Diesel runaway.
>>
>>14799339
>>14799483
Tfw still new to manual and had to take of quick and accidentally did a front wheel skid while turning at an intersection

At least I didn't stall
>>
>>14799526
What can you do when that happens? Sounds fucked.
>>
>>14799612

Turn off the ignition, Anon.
>>
>>14799612
throw the fucker in neutral >>14799622
>>
>>14799252
This one happened to me.

>Completely dry, sunny day
>Get off freeway
>Apply light brake to start slowing down on ramp
>ABS kicks in, car is barely slowing down
>whatishappeningrightnow.exe
>Release the pedal and push it again, same thing happens but getting a little more braking force
>Put shifter into 2, pull e-brake just enough not to lock rears.
>Cars stopped at the end of the ramp are starting to get real close, still doing 55-60.
>Release pedal and stomp it, get %100 braking with ABS
>Stop about 10 feet short of the car ahead of me.
>Become anger
>Pull over a soon as possible (everything is working like normal again) and pull ABS fuse.
>Never trust that ABS system again, always keep fuse pulled.
>>
>>14799252
Happened a lot for stupid shit like small potholes and some slick manhole covers. More than once in the snow car wouldnt stop completely, if the wheels would lock for a second I would have been fine but instead ABS thinks its better to slowly roll into traffic.
>>
>>14799528
Just break the other three and call it "stance."
>>
I just had a tire blow about 2 weeks ago on the highway at like 65. No real drama, it blew I put in the clutch pulled 4 ways and pulled off to side of the road.
>>
>>14799651
>ABS
>anti braking system

Holy shit though.
>>
>>14800231
I lost a rear tire while doing 90+ in my old Audi. Rear kicked sideways, caught it, added power. then pulled over.

Getting to watch the carcass roll across 6 lanes of traffic was fun.

>If somebody hits that it is going to fuck up their car and there is literally nothing I can do about it except watch.
>>
>>14799149
>spells tire with a Y

Confirmed bitch nigga
>>
>>14800308
European, so yeah.
>>
>>14799149
I lost my front passenger side tire on the interstate once. The wheel jerked hard right, corrected back to the right a little, and then gave a constant rightward pull. I think I did a pretty good job controlling it, didn't hit anything or anyone. Just got off at the next exit and threw the spare on.
>>
>>14800467
Meant corrected back to the left*
>>
>>14799651
what car? american?
>>
>>14799149
Nuclear war.
>>
>>14800500
I renewed the insurance on my shit box a while back and in the fine print it specifically stated that nuclear weapons aren't covered.

It was pretty much the only thing that was mentioned as an exception.
>>
>>14800231

I had one go at about 85mph. Heard a noise for a second then the tread completely separated off the tire. I got it stopped and off the freeway before any damage was done. I apparently ran over a bolt that decided to tear a huge fucking hole in the tire.
>>
>>14800491
98' Mitsubishi Montero
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 259x195) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 259x195
>>14800614
You seem pretty cool. Don't go driving next Sunday.
>>
File: 1443757647318.jpg (54 KB, 444x444) Image search: [Google]
1443757647318.jpg
54 KB, 444x444
>>14800614
>gotta buy the nuke policy, brah
>can't be having every pleb get covered when apocalypse
>we ain't paying out to no bartertown bitches

Based Insurance Co., we pay u for getting rekt
>>
Front driveshaft U-joint fails catastrophically
>>
>>14799651
>>Pull over a soon as possible (everything is working like normal again) and pull ABS fuse.

lel

I will probably do the same thing as soon as I get a car.
ABS can actually increase braking distance, fuck that shit.
>>
>allowing cars that arent road-worthy have plates

why?
>>
Comuting today on Angeles Forest highway from palmdale to Glendale.

>going fast because I'm a retard.
>light fog but no rain. Toad looks a bit moist but not really wet even though it rained last night.

>Blind tight turn going up the mounatin
>((REAL MEN ATTACK THOSE CORNERS))
>MUSLIDE NEAR THE END OF THE TURN
>CAR SLIPS INTO THE OTHER LANE
>ALMOST HIT MOUNTAIN WALL
>able to do a sick recovery And go about my way

Shit was scary . if there was another car coming down it would have been ogre.

Gravel /mudslides cause are definitely scary
>>
>>14799149
The actions of other people; Events entirely outside of your control that can ruin your life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iazTQVi1CEE
>>
>>14803912
But what happened to the toad?
>>
>>14799149
Only if you don't maintain your goddamn vehicle.
>>
>>14799277
this. i almost crashed once because i shit myself, anyone wanna hear story?
>>
I had my front right control arm break doing 60 MPH. Wasn't that climactic, just kind of skidded to a stop on the side of the road
>>
>>14804003
Only if it features unexpected coffee farts and some green text

Otherwise, no
>>
>>14799612
Press the clutch, obviously.
>>
>>14799149
I had a ball-joint fall out of the socket on my first car. It gave me plenty of warning, to be fair, I was just too young to know what that awful screeching noise was when I turned the wheel while at a stop.
>>
>>14804030
>Be driving to work in my new xr8 (aussie v8 muscle sedan) and had thai food the night before (good, quality thai, but still very spicy)
>Highway patrol pulls up behind me, no lights as i have done nothing wrong
>Start to get really nervous because i live in victoria, cops like to target my type of car and it's common knowledge that highway patrol here is corrupt and will make up shit to force you to bribe them or get your car impounded
>Cops light me up, sure enough
>I freak the fuck out and go poopoopeepee in my pants
>Cop comes up to me, car smells like liquid shit
>Get fine for "unroadworthy interior leading to potential dangerous driving"

fuck this god damn state, i was just driving to work.

and for those that don't know, our state has these hoon laws thanks to dumb bogans.

basically, it's guilty until proven innocent, a cop can pull you over, accuse you of doing a burnout and if you can't prove otherwise, you are going to lose your car for 28 days. BEFORE IT GOES TO COURT.

i woulden't have shit myself if not for that insanely spicy curry already putting me on edge and the cops giving me a panic attack
>>
File: 1444852853546.jpg (214 KB, 872x872) Image search: [Google]
1444852853546.jpg
214 KB, 872x872
>>14799149
anyone have a screencap of the guy's thread after he crashed his car when a spider fell on him while he was driving?
>>
File: 1366880237158.jpg (19 KB, 238x225) Image search: [Google]
1366880237158.jpg
19 KB, 238x225
>vehicle inspection is not mandatory in most US states
>>
>>14804110
oh dude fuck that i would crash too.

poor australians.

can't modify their cars without cops defecting them, cops are literal corrupt nazis in a few of their states, wildlife is dangerous as fuck...

their car culture is half amazing and half fucked.
>>
>>14804104
>sir your car smells like shit
>what are you, the poo police?
>no sir we are the police police, and I'm gonna have to give you a ticket
>on what grounds?

>you've obviously been hooning. just look at those skid-marks
>>
>>14804137
fucking kek

but fuck man, they still gave me a fine, god damn cunts. i had to take the day off sick cause i smelled like shit and had to scrub my car clean and get new seats.

and if i was hooning, i understand them pulling me up. but those cunts were just looking for a bribe and realised they were not getting one from a shit stained guy.

the hoon laws are a fucking joke, they haven't stopped the bogans doing skids at all, but they have turned our police into insanely corrupt cunts because there's nothing holding them accountable.
>>
>>14804164
hahahaha

See, this is why we like our guns in the states. Those cops would be dead.
>>
>>14804182
dont aussie cops not even have guns cause they're pussies?

what's to stop you cunts getting out and bashing them with your boomerangs?

dident it take like 20 of your cops to arrest some niggers?
>>
>>14804182
ok tough guy
>>
>>14804202
dude aussie cops are the biggest bitches

i was on holiday (american here) and some aussie cop pulled me over in the middle of nowhere.

i got out of the car, saw he had no gun, just a tazer and asked him if he thinks he can take me on in a fair fight.

cop said no and i told him to fuck off, i aint paying no bullshit fine for broken tail light. he said ok and let me go with a "warning"

you have to be firm with weak ass australians, they're not used to dominant men
>>
>>14804104
>unroadworthy interior
How is this even defined?

Why would you be able to purchase the car if the interior is illegal?
>>
>>14804208
I don't even own a gun, besides a .22 I inherited. What I said is true, though.
>>
>>14799528
I just had my ball joints replaced for this very reason.

Scary shit.
>>
>>14804224
dude it's australia. have you not heard the thousands of horror stories about victorian police?

they're insane, at least apparently in melbourne. i hear the countryside cops are better
>>
>>14804224
Torn upholstery, worn carpet, inner roof hanging from the roof, dust covering your instruments, glove box not closing properly, that sort of crap.

There's also real stuff like seats not fast and dial lights not working but it's the little things that fuck you.
>>
>>14804296
>Torn upholstery, worn carpet
How the hell are either of those things a safety hazard?

I understand the inner roof hanging down, if it affect visibility.

Fucking 'stralia.
>>
>>14804296
>ACTUALLY FUKING JUSTIFYING VICTORIA POLICE'S BULLSHIT

feels good to live in NT, where the cops deal with real crime, like the coons causing trouble.

it may be hot and full of crocs, but at least we don't have faggotry
>>
>>14804227
No. Your no-gunz brain might not understand it, but most gun owners in the US are aboveboard to the point of bootlicking.

That's why when I show the cop my ccw I get off with a warning. Only idiots with warrants are shooting cops over traffic stops.
>>
>>14804308
in america your cops have to deal with niggers though...

the victorian cops literally have no excuse for the bullshit they pull. they are out fining people for window tint in a blitz, while we have a home invasion spree, 15 shootings in the last 8 days...

where the fuck are their resources going?
>>
>>14800636
l think the mid 90's Mitsubishi ABS units are prone to malfunction. lt's the control unit in the engine bay that becomes corroded. Happened on my 96' Eclipse. Didn't pass inspection because of that
>>
>>14799149
>driving a Chrysler
>>
>>14799526
I had that happen on my Fury actually. Luckily it only opened up about 3/4s so it wasn't too un-managable. Got it all the way to my buddy's house where I caught a tow.
>>
>>14799612
It's not always as bad as it sounds. Especially if you have decent brakes and a car that doesn't have too much horsepower.
>>
>>14804218
>ITT:things that happened
>>
>>14799526
Similar to that, I had a stuck throttle shortly after I built my first blow-through carb turbo RX-7. Turned out I had left a bit too much play in the throttle cable, and when I let off to shift, the cable got caught on part of the throttle lever and stuck open.

Realized what was happening, hit the brakes, cut the ignition, coasted to the side of the road, popped the hood, unhooked the cable, bent the piece it got caught on safely out of the way, and drove home embarrassed.
>>
File: 4L_kxxnN8zk.jpg (6 KB, 227x250) Image search: [Google]
4L_kxxnN8zk.jpg
6 KB, 227x250
>>14804137
>>
>>14799149
I've always been terrified of getting a bad leg cramp while driving and getting in a wreck. Has this happened to anyone?
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.