[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guise. I'm lookin for some advice about lengthening
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (485 KB, 1702x1052) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
485 KB, 1702x1052
Hey guise. I'm lookin for some advice about lengthening gears. Is it possible, is it safe? How to do it basically, and what are aproximate cost? Oh and also is ir posible to lengthen only last gear and leave others the same?
>>
>>14797155
sorry bruh can't do it you're gonna have to get a new car
>>
>>14797155
you asked before and you got told then.
diesel gearbox, now fuck off.
>>
Yer gits to slab a Gearvendors Overdrive Ferd nine inch quick charge rear end in dat der sumabitch an yer good to go! I never seen no car hwere dis good ol thang diddn bolt right up to!
>>
>>14797168
How tf u remeber it was like 2 months ago
>>
Lengthening as in making them taller? Get a differential with a lower number ratio. For instance a 3.73 compared to a 4.11. the higher the number the shorter your gears will be and your acceleration will increase but you sacrifice top end speed. Your speedometer will need adjustment afterwards to read correctly.
>>
>>14797205
this is the only simple way to do it. Unless some tuner sells alternate gear sets that will drop in, or there's another car with the same transmission but different ratios, it is well beyond what the average hobbyist can do.
>>
>>14797205
Yeah i mean i basically want to lose acceleration but gain top speed. How or where to get those differentials, are they like universal for any car or each model has its own?
>>
>>14797205
OP has a Peugeot 406, which is FWD.

>>14797204
I'm good at remembering things I don't need to.
>>
>>14797239
Is what possible for rwd could not be possible for fwd?
>>
>>14797228

Is he really redlining it in top gear? So top speed on a DD is holding you back? Or are you only doing this for fuel economy?

It's the same with bikes. Your only real option to to go with a numerically lower final drive ratio. Gearbox internal changes are realistically impossible for mortals.
>>
>>14797254
No, you need to find another Peugeot gearbox in the same family with a longer final drive, and put that FD in your box. Might as well fit the box instead.
P. sure your gearbox is a BE3 series, Google the ratios and find the longest.
It will be the one from the hdi, but you can maybe mix and match something better.
>>
>>14797259
Mainly becouse economy. I need to drive distances on motorways. Speed limit is 130 km/h so timewise it is best to go at ~140. Problem is that at 140 im havim 4.5k rpm and I really don't like that.

I mean i understand how gear ratios work, but how do i do what u said, do i jus buy a gear with needed ratio and ask service to put it on? Sorry if i sound dumb as fuck
>>
File: brain.gif (2 MB, 340x223) Image search: [Google]
brain.gif
2 MB, 340x223
>>4797155
> Oh and also is ir posible to lengthen only last gear and leave others the same?
Yes. It is possible. You need an iron-capable 3D printer and parametric-CAD design files for the gearbox. Then you simply adjust the diameters.
>>
>>14797283
Thanks man ill try to research that on my own.
>>
>>14797305

> Fe 3-D printer. kek.

Grenade Gears. Would you trust gears laid down with a printer?

Usually you buy final drives as a set: a ring gear and a pinion gear. They need to be matched. I'm not sure about FWD platforms - somebody more knowledgeable needs to chime in here.
>>
>>14797338
I thing we was being sarcastic

This >>14797283 guy says its not possible on fwd and that i need to change whole gearbox. Idk about that though, probably should work, but seems to expencive and risky.

If anyone knows easier solutions pls halp
>>
>>14797283
Okay so i found something (pic)
Now what concerns me is that the difference doesnt seem too big? I dont know for sure but lets say that my car now has that 0.865 ratio, will switching to 0.760 actually make a difference worth to put so much effort?
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 640x1136
>>14797514
Forgot the pick cuz im degenerate
>>
>>14797514
>>14797525
obviously yes, if this issue bothers you.
>>
>>14797535
Yea but could you estimate for me how big that difference would be. As i said driving at 130 i have 4k rmp, how much do you think would ir drop if i swap? Because my dumb head thinks that difference would not be significant.
>>
>>14797568
4000x760/865

did you do arithmetic at school?
>>
>>14797300
>4.5k at 140kph

buy a new car

or search quaife website for diffs
>>
>>14797581
Oh. Thank. Did not tought that was so simple.
So i think thats all folks, nothing more to discuss thanks for contributing and why i am doing this whole thank speech thing okay ill stop now
>>
>>14797596
disregard that fuck quaife

just google peugeot differential or something
>>
Diesel box is the easiest solution
Will do 130km/h at 3000rpm
>>
>>14797609
Yeah i guess ill just do that, just tought someone will give advice for easier ways
>>
>>14797619
Get a service manual, rebuild kit and a box from a junk yard.
You still have a working car so you can take time to have fun cleaning and fixing something and seeing how it all works :)
>>
>>14797609
Or less.
My Punto was doing 180km/h at 3700rpm.
1st is ridiculously short tho.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.