[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking to add brightness to my lowbeam headlights. I live in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: projector.jpg (10 KB, 281x179) Image search: [Google]
projector.jpg
10 KB, 281x179
Looking to add brightness to my lowbeam headlights. I live in the ghetto with dimmly lit narrow streets and the added lumens would be nice.

Projector low beam headlamps seem to be the answer as they have a distinct cutoff so as to be bright but not blind other drivers like shitty HID's do.

I don't want to retrofit the projector units into my existing lights because there doesn't seem to be an easy way to aim them(highbeams and lowbeams share same housing/ aiming mechanism on my car). Also I might sell the car next year and want to be able to keep the lights.

Can I just mount weatherproof projectors behind the grill? Is there a better answer? I don't want to blind oncoming traffic so standard "offroad" or "driving" lights aren't the answer.
>>
File: Stuck tractor.jpg (60 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Stuck tractor.jpg
60 KB, 600x450
Nobody ehh?
>>
>>14796750
Why not driving lights made from projectors?
>>
Piss off everyone within a mile and fit a light bar.
>>
is it a Jeep?@
>>
>>14797036
I'm not quite sure what you are referring to, can you show me an example?

>>14797100
No
>>
How about Osram Rallye 65W bulbs. They're only 10W hotter, but make 40% more lumens.

I run them in my Subaru low beams. They work really well, lighting up signs a bit better than stock and throwing more light on the road. I've never been flashed.
>>
>>14797157
>Osram Rallye 65W
Those seem promising but I still have the Silverstar? bulbs in there that where supposed to be an upgrade and they weren't cheap. Maybe when they burn out I'll try the Osram.
>>
I'm reading about switching from 9006 bulb to 9012 is supposed to be an upgrade but not sure if it's just internet talk.
>>
>>14797310
I found this

>The 9012 will replace the 9006 with only a small mod. The part to trim off the 9012 base is usually marked on the base. Toshiba originally manufactured this lamp and it is still generally available for $25-$30. It produces 2700 Lumens and has an expected life of about 1000 hours. Toshiba sold the rights to HELLA who is now the manufacturer. The HELLA version produces 3000 Lumens with an expected life of 1400 hours. Generally available for $45 to $50 dollars. A standard 9006 produces 1005 Lumens with an expected life of 550 hours for $5 to $10.

too good to be true?
>>
>>14796750
The Hella 90mms are good units with a great pattern. I retrofitted a set into my NB because the factory reflectors were terrible. They accept an H9 bulb good for 2100 lumens.

I think they have been surpassed by the 60mm modules. The 60s have a larger lens which gives better pattern control and they accept higher performance bulbs. I have a set that I have yet to install on anything but they have a great pattern and accept HB3 HIR bulbs. Rally lights has the modules on sale for $50 each now.

>Standard 65W HB3s put out 1700 Lumens for 150 hours
>HIR 65W HB3s put out 3000 Lumens for 1400 hours

>For reference: a standard Hella 55W H1 (commonly used in many cars) bulb puts out 1500 Lumens.

The HIRs cost $26 each compared to $8 for the standard ones but I think its worth it. This is about the best halogen bulbs will ever get and with that lumen output they are approaching 55W HID territory.

http://www.rallylights.com is a very good site to check out
>>
>>14797337
http://store.candlepower.com/ph3rdge90h.html

Might get these.
>>
>>14797370
Something isn't right if they are saying the output is only 1875 lumens
>>
>>14797418
Yeah I see that's definetly lower than the specs I listed above.

It seems I can use the 9011(high beam) bulbs in place of 9012(low beam) bulbs for about 15% more lumens. Would this blind oncoming traffic like HID's ?
>>
>>14797500
>>14797418
I'd put money on the 1,875 lumen rating being the only accurate one.
>>
>>14797275

I used Silverstars once.

They looked cool from outside the car but in bad conditions especially if the street was wet I could barely see what was happening.
>>
>>14797500
depends on the quality of your optics.

In a projector housing with a good cutoff, no. In a reflector housing, possibly.

>>14797517
Silverstars were good a long time ago, its all marketing now.
>>
File: 51l9H0WOy2L._SY450_.jpg (35 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
51l9H0WOy2L._SY450_.jpg
35 KB, 450x450
>buying anything with a color temperature over 5,000K
ricer scum
>>
>>14797579
>http://store.candlepower.com/ph3rdge90h.html
The bulbs I listed are 3450k so I don't know who you are addressing.
>>
>>14797693
think of it as a PSA
>>
>>14797703
Well you did make a good point i guess.
>>
I think I'm going to take an extra set of 9005(high beams) I have and trade them out for my low beams and see what the results are.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.