[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm watching the episode of Mythbusters right now where
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: plate spray.jpg (36 KB, 400x150) Image search: [Google]
plate spray.jpg
36 KB, 400x150
So I'm watching the episode of Mythbusters right now where they try to beat the speed camera with various licence plate covers, and noticed the plate they showed being sprayed with the commercial plate blocker spray, and they result photo were different plates.
I always thought if they found a way to one up the law they would lie about the result, and I'm wondering if this is the case here.
It appears to me the idea of the spray is to make the numbers on the plate as reflective as the background of the plate, so in theory if it could do that then yes it wouldn't show up on on a camera with flash.
Anyone use the spray and have any luck?
>>
>>14795714
What are you smoking about
>>
>>14795720
What part of that post wasn't understandable?
>>
>>14795714
You know, the only camera I know of are red light cameras.

Now why would you knowingly try to run red lights?

Sounds fucking autistic to me....
>>
>>14795763
Good thing the entire world is exactly the same as your place
>>
>>14795763
the speed camera struggle in the UK is real as fuck and police districts are encouraged to put them absolutely everywhere and make them super sensitive to even the slightest speeding, it's obnoxious

that's an interesting observation though OP, but it's possible they were testing with multiple identical cars for multiple runs and just threw in the results from a different run, they've been known to be pretty thorough with testing but trim a lot of the repeat tests out for TV

it's worth looking for some kind of independent testing on the product though
>>
>>14795763
Speed cameras will time you down a street or between green lights.

Electronic tollways photograph the front and back of your car to identify you and collect the toll

Speed vans and more advanced cop cars have license plate cameras inside them. They park on the side of the road and take pictures of offenders
>>
>>14795918
They were only using a shitbox Neon with the "NODOUDT" plates. One of the plates has year/month stickers on the plate. The non-sticker plate is attached permanently to the car (Jamie built a novelty flip rig).
All the tested the plates with some form of cover were done to the sticker plate which was then stuck on the car, and Adam is shown spraying the stickered plate with the spray, but then the result photo was the non-stickered plate.
>>
>>14795966
hmm, nice catch actually. it does call things into question.
testing on these sprays is super sparse though, there's lots of anecdotal evidence cherry picked by the people making the sprays but that's obviously biased
>>
>>14795714
Test it yourself...
But I don't know how it would fare against infrared cameras which are the most common here
>>
This shit is like 80 fucking dollars a can.
Would some sort of clear/gloss coat work the same way?
I'll do some test and post results if I can get some help here.
>>
Spray it on the plate, blow a red light, and test it for us. You can't test it with your home camera unless you have a really powerful flash and you get up on a ladder with it to take the picture. Notice that the flash and camera are separated by a few feet on most red light camera installations to prevent glare.
>>
>>14795714
WAT? cameras?

>be me
>in Ohio
>Courts Ruled that red light or speeding cameras violate constitutional rights
>no cameras on the roads to robo-jew you for going 1 pico-mile over the limit

The feels are wondrous.
Sometime Ohio has upsides.
>>
>>14799615
we still have cameras in toledo man, where are you?
>>
>>14802103
I travel Cincinnati, Dayton, and Columbus.
The Cities lost the legal battle, the cameras might still be PHYSICALLY there, but they must be turned off.

The ONLY time a road camera can be active in Ohio is where there is a LEO there to observe the traffic infraction and to write the citation on-the-spot... after you've been pulled over by the LEO.
Same as if the LEO had been using a Radar gun.

I doubt that Toledo has enough balls, or enough money to violate an order from the State Supreme Court
>>
>>14802173
they still flash people so i guess they're still working, maybe they just don't send back the data anymore
>>
>Mythbusters

;~;
>>
you can buy plate covers that they 'say' work, which i think they do. but don't know camera technology and how it varies

people always used to say around here to spray hair spray or some type of cosmetic spray like that, and it would blur out the plate. i think mythbusters covered the hairspray thing though and said it didn't work

also if they catch you with the plates that reflect you can get fined here. speed cameras are easy to avoid (both the movable and fixed ones). they give you a sign that there's one ahead, usually only people that miss aren't paying enough attention while driving (either tired/fatigued, using mobile, talking to passengers etc.)
>>
>>14795714
That picture looks like a true fair test.
>>
>>14802195
Nah, they still work. I got flashed and a ticket sent to me. So yeah they still work. It fucking sucks.
>>
>>14795763

Speed cameras in DC and Virginia are incredibly anal. I got swarmed with a few tickets in one month when I first moved to that area, took one road and did about ~5mph over the limit. Month later, BAM $700 in tickets.
>>
https://youtu.be/EdyNtHhLP_E
Look up nanofilm
>>
>>14795714
Pic on the right literally has gain/exposure levels turned all the way up.

It's bullshit.

Also in london they have night vision infra red meme cameras and will catch you out going 22 in a 20 at 1 in the morning and send home a ticket to your address within 24h.
>>
>>14802197
f
>>
>>14804303
Yeah that's what I'm talking about, make the numbers as reflective as the background.
>>
Just get license plate bolts that hold super bright 12v IR LEDs
>>
>>14802173
are you me?
yellow springs area here
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.