[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Redpill me about automatic cars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9
File: 436564325564.jpg (88 KB, 707x433) Image search: [Google]
436564325564.jpg
88 KB, 707x433
Redpill me about automatic cars
>>
Automatics are about the destination
Manuals are about the journey
>>
>>14794260
Just a small town girl
>>
>>14794277
Driving in a crossover
>>
File: 1387548974060.gif (673 KB, 500x292) Image search: [Google]
1387548974060.gif
673 KB, 500x292
>>14794260

mfw this is true
>>
File: wp_ss_20160324_0001.png (459 KB, 816x617) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20160324_0001.png
459 KB, 816x617
>>14794306
U ruined it
>>
>>14794328
You could have altered the lyrics into a new version of the song that is /o/ relevant

Don't blame me for your lack of creativity
>>
What's to redpill you on? There's plenty of online resources you can use to learn how they work. Why do you need other losers on the web to spoon feed you?
>>
>>14794331
:(
>>
There's nothing wrong with them.
>>
>>14794252
Sure I can fuck my wife but why would I do it if tyrone can fuck her for me automatically instead?
>>
>>14794306
She drove the midnight streets going anywhere~
>>
>>14794440
Just a city car, born and raised by Detroit
>>
>>14794252
>planetary gears
Unless you HATE manuals, dont pick them. They are shit on all senses
>DCT
There is no reason to pick a manual over one of them unless you just like manuals like me or most of /o/.

They have provided to be using with higher fuel efficiency, shift timing to improve performance acceleration, are not as complex as the planetary gears automatic, and dont affect the crank HP that much.
>CVT
Shit for performance, ironic considering the CVT was invented as a test replacement for William's F1 cars. The most simplest to use. Anything with over 150hp with one of those will have a drop in performance and a big drop in fun.
>>
>>14794569
>There is no reason to pick a manual over one of them unless you just like manuals like me or most of /o/.
>They have provided to be using with higher fuel efficiency, shift timing to improve performance acceleration, are not as complex as the planetary gears automatic, and dont affect the crank HP that much.
Cheap DCTs are still shitty compared to manuals, just in a different way than torque converter autos. I wouldn't say they're any less complex than a slushbox either.
>>
File: 1459354842360.jpg (22 KB, 250x308) Image search: [Google]
1459354842360.jpg
22 KB, 250x308
>>14794434

This one made me giggle
>>
>>14794569
>torque converters
>shit on all senses

The shitbox you are driving is shit on all senses
>>
>>14794667
Cheap trannies are cheap trannies. DCT, manuels, CVTs or planetaries.

They might be more complex than an old fashioned manual, but not more than the planetary gearbox.
>>
>>14794696
>reduction of power
>no gearshifter, only 1 gear
>scooter/mono-cylinder tranny inside an actual car
I knew there were cucks on this board but you take the crown.
>>
>>14794434

I hate these new age millenial analogies that are meant to sound wiser than they really are.

Here's one:
>Instead having Tyrone fuck your wife, why not just get her a vibrating dragon dildo/...
>>
>>14794709
yeah but out of all three, the only good cheap tranny is a manual.

it's also the lightest, simplest, and most reliable.
>>
>>14794730
Maybe. In my experience, manuels can also be a bitch.

Live in southamerica, for some reason companies thought it would be a great idea to have the reverse gear made in such way to accomodate a 6th gear, yet the trannies are only 5 gears, and they have been very unreliable lately.
>>
>>14794742
Yeah, I don't mean all cheap manuals are good. But it's a hell of a lot easier to make a good cheap manual than a good cheap dct or torque converter slushbox
>>
>>14794252
>classic torque converters automatics w/ 2, 3 or 4 speeds (e.g. Powerglide, Turbo 400, 727)
Shit unless you're dragracing.
>almost modern 4, 5 or 6 speed ''Tiptronic''-style torque converters
Utter shit. Slow to manually shift, problematic in maintenance. Utterly outclassed by modern units, both TC and DCT. Finally offering lockup converters though.
>modern (2005+) torque converter automatics with 8+ gears
Perfectly fine. The most smooth for day-to-day driving, and certain ones are downright good for track use, ZF's 8HP is the best example of this. Also, more bulletproof than contemporary DCT's. VAG chose the 8HP for a reason in the RS6, a DCT couldn't deal.

>automated manuals (single clutch)
Shit.
>High end Ferrari F1-style electrohydraulic automated manuals
See above. They'll drag the value of your Ferrri down as well compared to a manual.

>CVT
Gearbox communism. Great concept, been tried a thousand times, just wont work.
The idea is solid, but it provides 0 user interaction, shit's easy to break, and power losses are huge. Theoretically, this could be great for racecars too, but rule lawyers shott that idea down. Currently the worst option you could think of.

>older VAG DCT's
The first step - and therefore has it's issues. Good shift times, but most of these will be out of warranty, and you do not want to deal with that.
>newer DCT's
Greatest performance gearboxes on the consumer market right now. Not as smooth as the modern TC units in daily driving, but faster shift times when pushed to the limit. Consistent and lightning fast upshifts, but software can still be iffy with downshifts, and shift times can be inconsistent there.

>electrohydrauliccally operated sequential manual w/ push button clutch
The true master race. Not available on the consumer market, normies can't deal, whines like your mom because straight cut gears, 0 comfort. shifts are rockhard, and literally instant.
>>
>>14794252
The TH series is still the best to date.
>>
>>14794747
ignorant cager here, but don't motorcycles use sequential manuals?
>>
>>14794746
Well no shit, manuals are much simpler and have been done for decades.

Its like expecting rotaries and electric cars to replace piston-based engines the first year. Its not gonna happen
>>
>>14794766
but automatics will never be simpler than a manual gearbox. the only reason they will ever take over is because people have more money than skill
>>
>>14794762
They do. But the smaller engine bikes prefer to use the CVT since its just easier.

CVT doesn't seem to work well with big engines. Bikes or cars.
>>
>>14794771
Never said they would. Only said that DCT are much simpler than planetaries.
>>
>>14794773
neat
i want to get a small motorcycle to commute on really bad tb.h
>>
>>14794569
You have clearly not driving a modern automatic with a good TC autobox, ZF's 8 speed for example. They're downright good.

DCT reliability is worse than TC units. They are also more complex, although a planetary/torque converter automatic is harder to understand.
Affecting crank HP with a gearbox is impossible. You're trying to describe wheel HP.

CVT's were invented in the 1910's. They were popularised by Van Doorne's Variomatic in the 60's and 70's, and really started getting market share in the late 90's/early 00's. They were banned from F1 in 1994.

>>14794762
They do. Most of them are dogboxes, meaning you can upshift them without using the clutch (with some practice). You need the clutch to get going, and then you just ram it into the next gear.

>>14794778
DCT's are only simpler in concept, because they're similar to two electroniclaly operated manual gearboxes. They're not as simple to design, build and maintain as a conventional TC/planetary automatic though.
>>
File: 1397472549622.png (26 KB, 889x737) Image search: [Google]
1397472549622.png
26 KB, 889x737
>>14794718
You tried
>>
>>14794260
yeah true you get a pretty shitty journey having to fuck around with a useless stick the whole drive
>>
>>14794790
>You have clearly not driving a modern automatic
I have never driven auto.

I dont know shit about auto types and differences

In my country nearly nobody has auto, nearly no mechanic knows how to fix it, and it costs an extra liver to afford a car with one. I just know the basic mechanics of each.
>>
>>14794802
> long road trip
> fucking with the stick a bunch for no reason
yeah you're a retard
>>
>>14794802
Its ok anon, everybody learns to drive stick some day.
>>
>>14794805
Then how can you claim they're shit on all senses?
How can you claim to know differences between auto gearboxes?
>>
>>14794806
clearly you've never been on a road trip with a stick

>>14794809
i was driving stick before you're mother shat you out you little piece of shit
>>
>>14794773
>CVT doesn't seem to work well with big engines
No they are used on farm tractors all the time these days without any real issues and those things run 8+ hours every day at max throttle. The ones built for cars are just cheap garbage
>>
>>14794819
I did 1600 miles at least on a roadtrip up to oregon in my manual.

90% of the time I was cruising in 5th gear and didn't have to mess with the stick.
>>
>>14794818
Because i know mechanics. I wrench, ive seen how they work. I know my physics.
>>
>>14794832
So you saw the inner workings on one (probably badly designed) planetary gearbox/torque converter example, and though, ''yeah, all of those must be shit''? You never one drove a good one, looked at a good one?
>>
>>14794832
yeah you're fucking retarded. you have zero experience with them, just spewing shit from your ass to try to look good on a Cambodian image board
>>
>>14794838
>You never one drove a good one
of course he hasn't, there's like 10 people on /o/ that own anything newer then the 90s
>>
>>14794838
No. They are shit because i know their system is too complex. They are shit because they are much harder to fix than standar manuel (based on several mechanics ive talked to) And they are shit because they draw much more power from the crank than other trannies.
>>
>>14794848
Rejoice in the irony. I have no car. I sometimes grab my dad's 2014 VW.
>>
>>14794859
ah so i was right then, you ARE retarded
>>
>>14794848
>own
You don't have to own it to drive it. I don't own the 2015 Ram 1500, 2016 XC90 or 2014 V60 D6 I drove yesterday.

>>14794853
>they're too complex
They're not complex. You just can't grasp the concept. DIfferent story altogether. They're less complex than an equivalent DCT.

>they're harder to fix than standard manual
Every autobox is. Planetary/TC autoboxes are the easiest to fix, and are the sturdiest ones available. Next.

>they're shit because power losses
Not significantly, and not with modern lockup torque converters. Again, go look at a modern one for a change.

>Mechanics told me so!
You admitted mechanics in your country lack experience with them. >>14794805
>nearly no mechanic knows how to fix it
>>
>>14794885
big difference between a single drive and DDing the thing. also did the Ram have the 8 speed? fucking love that thing but it's bs there's no dip stick. oh and if it was the ecodiesel you should have just drove it off a cliff, you'd be doing the owner a huge favour
>>
>>14794885
>They're not complex. You just can't grasp the concept
i UNDERSTAND their concept.

Their MECHANIC, THEIR DESIGN is too complex compared to other trannies.

>You admitted mechanics in your country lack experience with them

I said most mechanics wont do automatics cuz they dont know shit about them, i said what several mechanics that i know that DO fix autos tell me.
>>
>>14794892
>8 speed
>crew cab
>short bed
>5.7 Hemi
It's just glorious to use that thing here in the Netherlands, especially hauling a trailer. Even city buses wil move over for you.
Owner is a gay hairdresses (who hates Miata, wierdly) gives zero fucks about maintenance. That's what the dealership is for.

>>14794896
Their mechanics are way simpler than both CVT and DCT transmissions. Sure, they're more complicated than manuals, but so is every single automatic gearbox.

Still, mechanics in your country lack experience if they don't know how to work on them, and even if they do work on them, they'll probably be badly educated on them. I can understand wanting to drive manual for that reason - but that doesn't mean automatic gearboxes are bad across the world.
>>
>>14794252
All I have to say is powerglide 1500hp.
>>
>>14794920
in my country everybody just drives manuels cuz its the norm and everyone is cheap but cars are expensive, so they want the cheapest shit they can.
>>
>>14794932
What country?
>>
>>14794935
Niggargentina. Its very similar in huehueland. People want cheap. Manual is cheap. People learn how 2 manuel.
>>
File: eaXWLr3.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
eaXWLr3.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>14794920
my exact truck but i wish i had the longer bed. price was right and i don't usually use a lot of bed space anyway so i jumped on it but still would have been nice to have the bigger 1. the 8 speed pretty much sold me on the truck, one test drive and i was hooked

maint on the hemi is pretty cheap really. dealer does oil + tire rotation for like $80. that ecodiesel is a bitch tho, $300 oil changes plus that dumb fucking emissions system
>>
>>14794952
I figured it'd be South America. Just don't form opinions on newer autoboxes when you don't get any.

>>14794963
Yeah, longbeds don't even get sold here, sadly. Pickups with a bed that'll fit a Europallet are tax-exempt here, so trucks like that are dirt cheap with a propane injection system. They're just used by businessmen, not even people who actually use them, they're just that cheap.

The 8 speed is great, I'd just like some more responive buttons for when I'm towing with that thin. Paddles would be even better. Once you get up to about 4000kg's (9K lbs) with a trailer behind it, you kind of want it to downshift one gear, but not the two gears you get when you have the transmission kickdown.
>>
>>14794987
>Just don't form opinions on newer autoboxes when you don't get any.
Fuck off, this is the internet.
I do have the experience that your mom is a cheap whore.
>>
File: 45684234643.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
45684234643.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>14794987
i pulled 10k(pic) and the transmission did just fine on it's own even on some pretty big hills. i did turn the manual mode on to keep MDS from activating but generally it ran in 6th or 7th and occasionally in 8th in spots where it was really flat or down hill. really impressed with that transmission and especially while towing, hardly even felt the load during the 800km trip. fuel economy was fucking shit but that was expected
>>
>>14794921
Dat powerglide nigga
Never was a slushbox so well made
>>
>>14795009
Transmission itself did just fine, but it appeared to kick down several gears at the slightest of hills, which got annoying because all it seems to do is make the engine scream. I'd rather have it kick down 1 gear, and then just pull from it's midrange. I'll remember the manual trick to keep MDS from activating though.

Fuel economy here for them is great. Because they're considered work vehicles, you don't pay import taxes, new vehicle registration costs, and no roadtax. Now, LPG (propane) is cheap here, but vehicles using it are heavily road-taxed. Since the pickups skirt this tax, you might as well outfit them with an LPG installation. Since LPG is about 2.5 times cheaper at the pump, you're paying as much as someone with a 32-33MPG (14km/l) car. That's downright cheap for a 2.5 kiloton truck with seating for five and that can haul anything. Nevermind the MSRP is about 42K euros on the V8/CC/SB models, which is about the same as an entry level 3-series here.
>>
>>14795042
mine pretty much stuck to 6th and 7th the entire trip, no engine screaming or any of that. i do have the 3.92 axles tho so maybe that's the difference? as of something like 2013 the only way to disable MDS is to turn on manual or get a tuner but a tuner will just completely disable it so not really the best way. on older ones the tow/haul will disable it, no fucking idea why they'd changed it but it is what it is

i get about 11L/100km(25mpg imperial) unloaded but with a load it really goes to shit. i think with that tractor on i got around 23L/100km(10mpg) and gas currently costs about 80ยข/L
>>
File: me.gif (25 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
me.gif
25 KB, 100x100
>>14794252
Some people are lazy so they drive automatic.
Some people just want to get to point B so they drive automatic.
Some people don't care about MPG or having 'fun' on the road, so they drive automatic.

Some people like me are too stupid to drive manual so they drive automatic, and still have fun doing so because their stupid. Ignorance truly is bliss.
>>
>>14795185
Hey now, modern 8+ speed automatics can get beter MPG than their manual equivalent.

Right about everyone else though.
>>
File: 1460008316445.jpg (149 KB, 525x808) Image search: [Google]
1460008316445.jpg
149 KB, 525x808
>>14794252
People don't want to be that guy.
>>
>>14795204
Funnily enough, I've had two auto transmission cars grenade, other one of them did it twice while all my manuals have been rock solid.
>>
>>14795215
>anecdotal evidence
Could've been two badly designed autoboxes.
>>
>>14794802
>yeah true you get a pretty shitty journey having to fuck around with a useless stick the whole drive

Same thing with your dick but you won't cut that off now will you?
>>
>>14795241
i could, not like i'll ever actually use/need it
>>
>>14795239
gearboxes that require sensors to function are inherently less durable than manual gearboxes 101% fact.
>>
>>14795302
Too bad automatics don't always need sensors then.
>>
>>14795307
find a modern slushbox without a sensor for the tcu
>>
>>14795318
Find a modern anything automtovie without sensors.
>>
>>14795322
Nice goalposts, must have been a bitch to move.
Modern manuals are still the most durable gearbox possible.
It's not about build quality either, it's the fact that until the gears are smooth as glass then it's still functional.
>>
>>14795322
Probably some ariel atom thingy
>>
>>14795459
>EFI
>gear indicator
Every modern car has sensors.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.