[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
2000s GM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: GM-Bailout-Govt-Motors.jpg (10 KB, 244x184) Image search: [Google]
GM-Bailout-Govt-Motors.jpg
10 KB, 244x184
Why was the 2000s so shitty?
>killed Pontiac
>killed Oldsmobile
>killed Saturn
>killed full-size cadillacs
>chevy volt
>wahh help us we need money
>>
File: cadillac cts-v wagon2.jpg (244 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
cadillac cts-v wagon2.jpg
244 KB, 1280x850
>>14793431
chevy volt is a great car what are you talking about? also 2000's brought us the C6 Z06 and ZR1 which were incredible, as well as the cadillac CTS V and XLR-V
>>
They made a few great commodores. Too bad is now dead
>>
>>14793455
wasn't the volt that has massive production problems and recalls/safety issues? or am i thinking of something else
>>
>>14793480
CTS isn't full sized bruv, it's midsized. and before you talk shit, the escalade has been the most Cadillac-ey Cadillac in the last few decades.
>>
>killed Pontiac
Served no purpose (Chebby and Cadillac being currently responsible for performance)
>killed Oldsmobile
Served no purpose
>killed Saturn
Served no prupose
>killed full-size cadillacs
Who even cares, Cadillac was garbage for decades up until about 08; also the XTS exists, albeit it's only a few years old.
>chevy volt
Fair enough
>>14793490
God damn post delete timers, someone always responds to me
>>
>>14793486
not sure, but every manufacturer has had massive recalls for everything. I recommend driving one, it is seriously nice for a DD and the electric power for 40 miles is excellent.
>>
The only reason all the brands are dead is because the US Gov made them pick only a few brands and the rest had to go.
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 544x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 544x640
>>14793431
read pic related, it explains everything you will ever want to know about early 2000s GM
>>
>>14793431
it only got REALLY shitty after the economic downfall.

until then it wasnt terrible
>>
>>14793455
>XLR
>good
>>
>>14793490
>the escalade has been the most Cadillac-ey Cadillac in the last few decades.
Ehhh maybe, its still a Suburban. But holy shit does the new one look nice though
>those taillights
>>
It was GM's incompetence that led to their own downfall, starting with the Chevy Vega.

After all, GM has always been a bank that happened to produce cars, and the bean counters had too much of a say. Saab produced very good cars, so good that the bean counters killed them, for instance.
>>
>>14793490
This. The Escalade has all the pros that the old Fleetwoods and Devilles had and then some.
>RWD
>powerful
>heavy
>soft
>roomy
>flashy design
There is no reason to build another Caddy boat at this point.
>>
>>14794504
was it the Vega? I always thought it was the horrible diesel cars they tried to foist on people.
>>
>>14796376
People don't want a SUV that'll topple cornering at 3mph. There's also a massive stigma thanks to nignogs and white women.

Also the Tahoe and Suburban have a better design; still has a lot of presence but utilitarian and less flashy so they don't look like they're trying too hard.
>>
>>14793455
>XLR-V good
>used a northstar engine
good grief
>>
>>14793490
Just hit 271k in the EXT the other day, original engine, second tranny.
>>
>>14794363
Reminds me of the volvo V70, and that's a good thing
>>
I wrote an extensive email series on this (amateur historian) but here is the TL:DR version

* GM from the late 70s on was run by "bean-counters" and not "car guys"

* Very little innovation (most of it was because Government regulations)

* UAW was bleeding it dry, especially with retiree healthcare (that can GM execs kicked down the road finally hit something)

* One attempt to make a non-shitty car (Saturn, a GM-Toyota collaboration) was ruined by the UAW.

* GMAC (the finance arm) was the tail wagging the dog

* One thing GM finally did right in the 1990s (EV-1 electic car) was because California put a proverbial gun to their heads. When CA backed down, GM killed it.

(cont'd)
>>
>>14793495
>Pontiac served no purpose
>RWD v8 sedans served no purpose
Now Chevy's only replacement is the 50k SS :(
>>
>>14799216

* 2000s Roll around, GM suddenly realizes its not 1955 anymore and a whole bunch of Divisions makes no sense.

* Keep Chevy (most popular), Cadillac (most profitable) and Buick (sells well in China). Also develop on the cheap by stealing from Opel and Holden.

* Great recession hits, people stop spending on houses, they also stop spending on cars.

* Obama gets in power: Creates unified emissions/fuel economy/greenhouse gas regs that mean big cars have to go away

* GM comes to Congress with hat in hand
Liberals: Here's your money, build our dream car
Conservatives: Here's your money, drive a stake through the heart of the UAW

* Chevy Volt is penance for killing the EV-1

* So is Obama's "Car Czar" telling Chairman of GM to GTFO

(Cont'd)
>>
>>14799264

GM: Muh Bankruptcy

* "Old" GM goes into bankruptcy Court and is broken up into parts by a judge

* "New" GM is allowed to cherry-pick the parts it wants to keep and the rest are sold off.

Stuff that kill
--Hummer (Chinese couldn't make a deal)
--Saturn (Nissan-Renault couldn't make a deal)
--SAAB (New GM didn't want Chinese to have it)
--Delphi (parts company, too many UAW workers)
--Opel (sold to a consortium, 51% bought back to keep it out of Chinese hands)

* New GM tried to get out of honoring all of "Old" GMs recalls and warranties, because New GM. That did not go over well in court

* Finally get a "car guy" in there, well, car girl

* She gets blindsided by ignition switch scandal
>>
I'm still salty about GM killing Pontiac. They were going from rebadged chevys to Imported Holdens which was something I was definitely ok with.
>>
>>14798383
>memeing this hard

Last gen northstar is immortal you ignorant
>>
I had an LD8 that never blew gaskets

275hp beast
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.