[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TURRRBO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: exchange-header.jpg (39 KB, 895x380) Image search: [Google]
exchange-header.jpg
39 KB, 895x380
So I'm gonna Turbo my car, it's about 2 grand cheaper than going all motor. Has anybody ever bought the ebay kit and just bought a reputable turbo to go with it? I don't really see what's wrong with ebay intercooling or piping, anybody got any experience?
>>
nice alternator, bruh
>>
File: 1439603425401.png (7 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1439603425401.png
7 KB, 400x400
>kit on ebay
>>
>>14792418
so buy a foot of ebay pipe, and some of the proper stuff and see for yourself.
>>
what car/engine is yours? you really should not resort to an ebay kit if you can help it. just save up more.

>>14792433
XDDD epic
>>
They're cheap for a reason
>>
>>14792447
>didn't read the post
>>14792452
I can shape it at my dads shop if I need to
>>14792455
k24a2

I just figure Ill buy a real twin scroll and use the rest of the kit
>>
An ebay kit with everthing but the turbo?

It will be less of a risk than ordering a kit with one.

Reason being, obviously, chinese turbos.

But since that is out of the equation, next is the exhaust manifold welds. Or any other welds, including downpipe welds or whatever.

Honestly, the money you save over an ebay intercooler and piping over a brand name cooler and piping is hand over fist. AT MOST you will lose 2 hp per lb of boost. This is based upon a 4cyl, so do the equation for 5, 6 or 8 cyl and find out you only lose at most 4hp.

Sure people will point out that SO AND SO INTERCOOLER IS HIGHER FLOWING AND BETTER AND AWESOMER yet they do not mention that the cooler alone is over a grand.

Cost to performance, right?
>>
>>14792485
most people's arguments against ebay piping and coolers is reliability, not hp loss
>>
>>14792418

Go chinacharger and don't skimp on the manifold.
>>
>>14792485
Well I figure if i I don't cheap out on a good capable twin scroll the rest will be pretty much reliable, other than perhaps rust.
>>14792498
What reliability though? As long as the piping and intercooler has a good seal what could go wrong
>>
may as well go on honda tech and get a used kit instead
>>
>>14792584
Thanks for the tip I probably will. But isn't a used turbo potentially just as bad as a ebay turbo?
>>
Cheaper cost, half the power band
>>
Kinugawa are decent turbo's for the price. Mine sees 21psi no problems. If your going from N/A to turbo you'll need an ecu, injectors and a tune if you want it to last. Alot of the time turbo heads are different design to N/A heads aswell so it probably wont flow aswell.
>>
>>14792787
the K series does not need heads but it does need much bigger injectors, 310 cc stock probably bump that up to 550cc. I'm not looking for 400WHP though, I want something I can have fun with at autox and a small car with 400whp still just kill all the fun with torque steer
>>
>>14792832
For the extra price you could go ID series injectors and run jungle juice on flex sensor. Allows for better toonz and more reliability. You don't need a special turbo to make 400hp on that, surely in a fwd 300hp would be plenty.
>>
The problem with cheap manifolds/piping is that it's in the direct path of expensive components. I.E. your Turbo and Engine.

The cuts and welds of the material usually leave behind small bits of steel/aluminum that can break free and lodge itself into your other, more delicate, components.

Subaru owners found this out really quick when they ordered cheap aftermarket up pipes. Just a pipe right? Why pay $200 when I can get one on ebay for $50? Well, when that eBay up pipe sent bits of steel into their turbo's and destroyed them, they realized their mistake.

The old saying stays true to this very day: Fast, Reliable, Cheap. Pick two.
>>
>>14792854
It sounds like an issue that could be avoided if you sand down the inside before installation
>>
>>14792832
might as well get one of these if you have a mild spec in mind
http://www.ebay.com/itm/K20-k24-K-series-RSX-Civic-SI-Cast-T3T4-Turbo-Manifold-/350792031715

and kinugawa turbos and decent injectors is good advice too.
>>
>>14792876
Is the turbo manifold a week part of the ebay kits? I've heard stories about welds breaking lose but how shitty are these welds?
>>
>>14792920
cast manis don't have welds. tho you should deburr or extrude hone them anyway.
>>
>>14792931
Alright, and what specifically should I look for in a turbo, oil and watercooling for example?
>>
>>14792870
It can, an hour with a dremel removes any chance of loose bits of steel. That leaves the only concern being possible stress cracking. Short runners and small turbos help aleviate that issue. When using big turbos on larger ebay equal length manifolds adding in support braces between the turbo flange and the head flange also helps remove possibility of cracks. If you have a shop and can do this stuff your self you can save alot of money. If you dont, your batter off spending proper money on a name brand manifold. Also when purchasing ebay manifolds make sure the inside welds are all accessible to a dremel.
>>
>>14792464
I think you need a different manifold for a twinscroll to be effective
>>
>>14792549
Well, the welds can look clean on the outside, but many times on the inside they'll be jagged, or have drips. Under boost pressure, those can easily either go into your turbo and fuck up your turbo, or go into your engine and fuck that up instead. In general, it's a better call to get a used intercooler off another car, since it's not exactly a wear item, and get a good shop to weld you custom piping.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.