[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /o/, I had my car booked in to an MOT and dropped it off
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
Hi /o/,

I had my car booked in to an MOT and dropped it off today. I got a phonecall an hour later saying they were unable to do the MOT as the rear passenger door wouldn't open. Rather than pay the £120 they wanted to fix that, I'm sorting it out at home.

Of these though, what would you recommend definitely needs doing:
- offside rear brake pipe corroding £154.54
- centre exhaust clamp starting to corrode £79.18
- lateral bar corroded £121.72

They have also stated that there are some oil leaks. It'll cost £103.02 to just diagnose the source.

Does all of this seem reasonable? I could take it to another place if these prices seem a rip off. Any help would be great.

It's a 2001 Renault Megane (pic is the right model, but not mine)
>>
>>14790360
God damn, MOT sounds like a fucking extortion scam
>>
>>14790403
MOT is a yearly check that the car is up to standard and not dangerous to drive.

However, they carried out a pre-MOT inspection and highlighted these as advisories, things that could cause a failure, or if they didn't would need to be looked at and fixed at some point.
>>
>>14790360
Mot tester here, those prices are extortionate. The lateral bar isn't even an mot failure item. Tbh they're taking the piss. Do you have family or friends with cars? Ask who they use, and try them. Most garages love it when we get customers recommending us to friends and usually go a bit further for people who are friends of customers as it's a chance of repeat business.
>>
Euros pls go, make your own chan
>>
>>14790569
Thanks. I knew an official Renault dealership would be expensive, but it's a lot more than I expected.

The reason I tried them was because I'm not sure I trust my regular garage after the last service they gave me. They replaced a tyre and did my tracking as I reported a grinding noise when turning left. This did not go away and it was only when I checked my fluid levels that I found my power steering fluid was low. I should have gone straight back to them and complained, but life got in the way a lot. I'll give them a chance on the phone and get a quote.

But I have had a recommendation for a place near work, so I will try them.

Not knowing the extent of some of these issues or how serious they are I am not sure whether to just get them done or get somewhere else to MOT it and see what they say.

But yeah, lesson learnt, don't go to the main dealership with a 15 year old car.
>>
>>14790413
I know what MOT is you fuckwit.
But once you give a shitty mechanic the ability to "fail" a car until he "repairs" a "necessary" component on your vehicle, it becomes extortion.
>center exhaust clamp starting to corrode

It needs to be law that the mechanic that fails the vehicle for MOT can not be the mechanic that performs the repairs.
>>
>>14790602
Sorry, I don't regularly use this board, so I assumed most users were American and weren't sure.

>>14790569
>>14790602
To clarify, these were things that show as advisory, but as the inspection is visual only, they can't guarantee that it wouldn't cause a failure on the MOT. But it was suggested that these are things that ought to be sorted.
>>
>>14790596
Did they tell you the brake pipe and exhaust clamp were failures or advisories? Like I said the lateral bar isn't testable and an oil leak isn't a failure item, chances are it's the plastic coolant housing that sits on the gearbox side of the engine.
>>
>400gbp

Just buy a new fucking car, the Megane's a piece of shit anyway.
>>
>>14790637
On the sheet I have it is advisory. But it was said as "but we can't guarantee it wouldn't fail an mot".

But the sheet also has some items that need doing and are marked as "mot failure" such as cracked number plates, the fact that the rear door couldn't be opened from the outside.

>>14790638
What can I get for similar money anon? I'd have to spend a lot more for a half-decent second hand car, and I'd prefer to save my money to buy a house
>>
>>14790610
>Sorry, I don't regularly use this board, so I assumed most users were American and weren't sure.
I've watched nearly every episode of wheeler dealers, I think I know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>14790610
>>14790637
Just saw that. Best off just getting it moted somewhere local to you there's a reason dealers have the nickname stealers. Look for a council ran test centre (councils usually run one for testing their own vehicles and taxis etc) they will do testing only and won't to the repairs so you know they won't be looking for things to fail to make money on. You're not in Newcastle are you?
>>
>>14790670
No, fraid not. Birmingham. As I say, I have a couple of recommendations from colleagues of places nearby.
>>
>>14790686
Just give one a try. If your the sort who doesn't really care about the car and just wants a pass you could coat the brake pipe with grease. We're not allowed to remove it to check the pipes condition so would have to pass it.
>>
>>14790721
I care about the car being safe to drive, so I won't be doing that. But I'm happy to take it to somewhere that i think will give more reasonable prices and don't have a corporate rod up their ass.
>>
>>14790731
Just cross your fingers it doesn't do too bad. Tbh I'm not a fan of Renault but that model usually isn't to bad, have you done a mot history check to see if there was an advisories last year that might be an issue now?
>>
>>14790760
I've had the car for about 8 years. Advisories that i had last year was the number plates, so happy to sort those out.
Chip in the windscreen, been there a while, not grown in size and out of my field of view so leaving that.
Rear Axle support bar corroded (assume this is the lateral bar?), but that was passed.
And the door handle not working, but they were find with it being that way.

Hmm, basically, never taking it to Renault again then.

It's been reliable. I had a problem when I took it to a particular garage, but it's just kept on trucking and is showing 102000 miles
>>
>>14790602
For every MOT centre that "extorts", you can find another one that will wave anything through as long as the wheels don't fall off
>>
>>14790569
US state yearly safety inspector here. I agree with this guy. A repeat customer is the best thing we can ask for as an independent repair shop, so we will absolutely work with new customers (provided they don't walk in expecting us to work for pennies) to help them out with prices, especially if they need a lot of work. Try finding out who has a good reputation with friends/family and a place that has been in business for a while
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.