[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
think chevy will redesign the bolt to look more interesting now
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
File: chevy bolt.jpg (199 KB, 1200x1175) Image search: [Google]
chevy bolt.jpg
199 KB, 1200x1175
think chevy will redesign the bolt to look more interesting now that the model 3 is revealed?

say what you will about tesla but the model 3 looks way more interesting than this honda fit knockoff shitbox
>>
Rather have the chevy desu
>>
>>14788283
>Chevy
>doing anything but making their vehicles less useful and visually pleasing

At this point i think they were paid off to make the USA look like a joke.
>>
How does it compare to the Model 3?
>>
>>14788283
I honestly wish the Model 3 was a hatch. What the fuck was Tesla thinking?

That looks much better than the Sonic.
>>
File: BMW-i3-2014-australia-(25)[1].jpg (119 KB, 1140x643) Image search: [Google]
BMW-i3-2014-australia-(25)[1].jpg
119 KB, 1140x643
It looks like the i3's american cousin. I guess the retardation runs in the family
>>
>>14788343
in what categories?
off the top of my head

>chevy vs tesla
>37500 vs 35000 before tax credits
>200-ish vs 215+ miles of range
>true hatch vs faux hatch trunk thing + front trunk
>more interior room and cargo space vs seemingly roomier interior because of that all glass roof
>dumpy honda fit shape vs relatively attractive fastback-ish thing
>more 'normal' interior design vs super minimalist touchscreen everything
>>
>>14788821
What's the price after rebates?
>>
>>14789097
rebate is 7500
but by the time the model 3 comes out and the preorder list is gotten though, the rebates will have all dried up for tesla
not sure how many volts and spark ev's chevy has sold but once all of chevy consumes 200,000 cars sold with that rebate, it starts to decrease

>wonder if people will sell their place in thr model 3 preorder queue
>>
>>14788821
You forgot that the Bolt is going to beat the 3 to market by about a year, and since the 3 preregistrations represent 3 years of production, if you don't have your name down already, you can lease two Bolts while you wait for a chance at a 3.
>>
>>14788283
I actually prefer that it looks like a normal car, and the full hatch makes it more practical.

We'll see how well that minimalist interior works and feels.
>>
>>14788821
So either a real car or some random promises by Ellon "pre-order to find out" Musk.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160406-182734.png (955 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160406-182734.png
955 KB, 1920x1200
>>
File: volkswagen egolf.jpg (69 KB, 712x297) Image search: [Google]
volkswagen egolf.jpg
69 KB, 712x297
>>14792061
that is indeed a big, big factor
plus, other automakers are probably taking notes from tesla/gm and making proper 200 mile range battery packs to put into their current EVs

i'd buy the FUCK out of an e-golf if it was 35 grand and had 200 miles of range. mk7 golf is comfy and looks nice

hell, a fiat500e with proper range would probably be damn fun to chuck around
>>
Wake me up when they manage to pull their head out of their ass. I want an electric car, the mechanical reliability and running costs are very attractive but they are financially unsound until they get under 15k. CUT THE FAT. Remove all the features, no power anything (saves much needed electric). Barebones for all. Cut corners in everything but the working parts and body. I dont need a premium sound system, hell i dont even need a radio. Just an audio in jack and 4 basic speakers, two in back two on the doors. No power anything, seats adjust with a pull bar etc. As simple as you can get. Make them smaller. I dont need room for four, its a commuter car. I need room for two, make it a two seat hatchback. Basically a geo metro. Get that cost down and it will sell.
>>
>>14792143
There's no point in that when there is some sub $15k econocars already and they get 30+ mpg
>>
>>14792134
>making proper 200 mile range battery packs to put into their current EVs
This isn't something that will work. A 200 mile battery pack isn't something that will fit where a gas tank and ICE driveline will.

That's why the Bolt is not on the same bones as the Spark EV and why the all electric iOniq has a 100 mile range. They'll have to engineer a new platform around their 200+ mile battery pack.
>>
>>14792143
Lease you dumb nigger.

The electric tax credit means a Bolt with no options should lease for Under 200/month for a sub 10,000 mile/year lease.

Combine that with lower cost of ownership, and it'll be cheaper to lease than a new Fit.
>>
>>14792171
Electric cars still have some major advantages, especially since i get my power for free via a waterwheel and solar. Even for the average buyer compared to a econ gas car they have superior life and cost of driving. Maintenance is a lot easier and less major part to replace. No transmission, a lot less sensors and bits and bobs than a gas engine. The electric motors last a lot longer and can easily be re serviced, the only part that will really need to be replaced is the battery and thats just diminishing part, rarely does it flat out break. So you accept lower range until you are forced to replace it. That could be 10 years or more, so set aside the money for a replacement. Overall economy is still on the electric cars side, the price just needs to drop.
>>
>>14792196
>tfw i might actually do this
but getting a used abarth 124 to tune the nuts off of is a little more tempting
>>
>>14792216
None of the shit you've spewed has proven to be true. The Tesla S has been so unreliable they've had to offer permanent warranty to save face, every electric car made since the beginning of electric cars are dead and forgotten about 5 years after they come out.
>>
>>14792225
I'll probably lease a Bolt too. I'm sick of putting unnecessary mileage on my K5, and it'll be about the cheapest way into a new car without going Mirage/Micra.
>>
>>14788821
I doubt the tesla model 3 current interior is real. Just a placeholder for now. It didnt even have fucking ac vents
>>
god damn it's just so uggo from every angle
it's like bmw i3 bad
which sucks because the i3 is actually pretty fun to drive and you can beat the fuck on it because it's an EV and it doesn't care, not to mention the range extender basically makes it a volt but better
>>
I actually like the Bolt. It doesn't have the angry look most cars have, it didn't go full BMW i3...

Though that side line should be straightened a bit and it looks a bit too much like a crossover.
Would buy in range extended form.
>>
>>14788665
One of my fucking neighbors bought one after they sold a 99 wrangler
i was actually disgusted.
>>
>>14792143
Boomers won't settle for anything less than power everything plus bluetooth, voice-assisted nav, AC imported from Antarctica etc.

My shitbox doesn't even have a radio desu
>>
>>14792216
>rarely does it flat out break
Come back in April when you left it sitting all winter because the fockin thing wouldn't start.
>>
>>14795765
>range extended form
uh, what?
it's a pure ev dood, the "Range extended form" is the volt
>>
>>14795819
>not leaving your ev plugged in at night when you're home
?????
the battery tray has warming systems which keep the battery nice and warm while it's plugged in, so you basically don't even notice the low temperature on a 'cold start'
it gets problematic if you don't plug it in and it gets really cold overnight and you park it in the driveway or on the street though
>>
>>14795887
which is why they should make a range-extended version IMHO.
>>
>>14795946
meh, not necessary, i think 200 miles is the acceptable minimum for a pure ev to be everyday usable. most model s owners don't even plug their cars more than once or twice a week since it's just kinda "whatevs" for them at this point.

the bolt can also used those chademo level 3 chargers which is _basically_ supercharging although i find it odd that GM isn't investing in the roll out of chademo chargers...
>>
>>14792143

There was a time when the monitor tech you are staring at now cost a $1000.

> penetration of new tech
> economies of scale
> limited supplies of batteries

It's all economics, breh
>>
>>14795999
Tesla still has the edge on long-range full EV driving. Though superchargers are slow as fuck.
>>
>>14795808
Don't you think that's a huge trade up? A fucking Jeep that was designed in the 40's or some shit, vs a quick, spacious, rwd car that's fun as fuck to drive. Fucking luddites
>>
>>14792134
It doesn't work that way. These 200mi cars are designed around the batteries. They're built from the ground up to be electric. That's why all of the plug in hybrids only have like 12-20mi of range. There's no room for the batteries. Even the volt chassis had to be modified extensively to fit the relatively huge batteries that actually make it a viable plug-in car.
>>
>>14792243
That's just the tesla meme. The Volt is arguably the most reliable car that has ever come out of Detroit.
>>
>>14796384
hmm, good point, although i'm hoping these other companies can get nicer higher-density cells and find clever ways to stash them around the car to get like 150+ miles. they just can't compete with the bolt and model 3 currently
>>
>>14788283
I'd actually say it looks more interesting than the model 3, which imo is halfway between a mondeo and any generic german sedan in terms of interesting looks.
>>
>>14792143
The gwiz already exists.
>>
So neither this or the Model 3 has a range that hits 300 miles?
>>
>>14788821
I thought the Chevy Bolt was $30k? That's only after rebate? Fuck that. $37,500 for a little chevy hatchback, fuck off GM.
>>
>>14796540
Higher end Model 3s will surely be in the 285-325 mile range. But those will be like $55k+ I bet, though with AWD instead of FWD.
>>
>>14788606

This. The Tesla 3 is a stupid fucking design.

They need to keep it practical, not sexy. They should go after the Golf design, and maximize the range. I'd rather have something that looks like a Golf that has a 280 mile range than something that looks like a Fusion that only has a 180 mile range.
>>
>>14797870
yeah chevy's marketing department worked overtime to make it seem like the base price is 30k when it's actually 37500

>>14797893
well, function over form is what the Bolt is and it looks like a dumpy weird fit-thing
>>
>>14797870
It's not a little hatchback. It's well into crossover territory in terms of size. It just has proportions that make it look small. Same as the i3, which is actually a pretty big car.
>>
>>14797893
I wonder how much of the hatch vs trunk debate comes down to aerodynamics and how much range the Tesla gains over the Bolt just from low wind resistance.
>>
>>14797870
You shouldn't buy an electric car, government incentives make it so they have poor resale, and the battery packs start to lose performance the first time you charge it.

Either buy an off lease for cheap or lease yourself.

The cash price is essentially irrelevant to any rational buyer, because the incentive structure rewards leasing so strongly.
>>
>>14798833
Battery cars and hybrids are most efficient when aerodynamics isn't a factor, like around 35-45mph so the hatch wouldn't matter much. If the customer is doing a lot of highway then he should take aerodynamics in consideration. But battery cars are city cars for the most part.
>>
The one big advantage that the Model 3 has over the Bolt is that Tesla has the Supercharger network. Why isn't GM investing in any sort of charging network?
>>
>>14799683
Probably inertia, probably the idea that they are not focusing on single car families. It is compatible with the non-TeslaSupercharger fast charge systems you find in parking garages and at certain highway rest stops and such.

Honestly, I think the most brutal solution to the "why no supercharger" question would be the backwards version of the dongle the Tesla drivers have to use to use the non-supercharger fast chargers.

Sell a "supercharger to fast charger" adapter for like a hundred bucks.

BOOM no more exclusivity.
>>
>>14788283
It's too late their already into production.
>>
>>14799582
don't buy one new, is what you mean
they tend to depreciate really fast then plateau, for instance leafs dropped insanely fast to 10k then sort of stuck there. for 10k it's hard to beat that as a fucking dirty dirt cheap to own DD
>>
>>14800198
that would require GM asking tesla for something, which is never going to happen because this is GM and that would violate their dick waving requirements

also tesla might be hesitant to give up that exclusivity since that's a really big selling point of their cars. maybe once the model 3 is out they'll consider letting other makes use their chargers for a fee (as in, you as the customer pay like $10 for every 200 miles charged, which is reasonable)
>>
Even when GM tries to do good. They still can not win.
>>
>>14802573
I think alot of Tesla's intellectual property surrounding charging is open source, so they probably wouldn't have to even ask for it, they could just get the information.

Wasn't Tesla's idea to lose money on the cars and make money on the charging stations?
>>
>>14804342
No.

Tesla's idea is to sell batteries and other parts. So the more people making EVs. The more people who could be buying Tesla's parts to put in their EVs.
>>
>>14804365
this
also, it's kind of interesting how this whole tesla patent thing morphed over time due to clickbait media

what actually happened
>they announced they would not be patent trolls over some of their patents, but would still go after blatant copying
what everyone read in the clickbait articles
>tesla goes open source
>>
>>14806056
With the billions spent on the most minute discrepancies between iOS and Android and the patents behind them, Tesla not being a patent troll is refreshing.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.