[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Car deemed a total loss
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Hi guys, okay well tomorrow I am supposed to meet with an appraiser to check the worth of the damage to my honda accord, year 2008. If they deemed my car as a total loss, what would happen? I called the insurance company and they kept sending me to different branches of the insurance company. Also why is an appraiser from a different insurance company looking over the damages and not from my insurance company?
>>
Generally if they total the car it means that they view the cost of repairing it in excess of the value of the car. If they total it, they write you a check for the value of the car at the time of the crash. This almost always means that they take ownership of the car and sell it off for scrap. Some insurers won't bother with taking it in some situations, so you can part it out or scrap it yourself. If you strongly disagree with their appraised value (not an infrequent occurrence, they want to pay as little as possible) your best recourse is probably going to involve talking to a lawyer, or seeing if your insurance will appoint one. A strongly worded demand letter from a reputable attorney lights fires under asses. With that said, don't rush stuff. It's not worth fucking up, and these things don't happen overnight. You MIGHT have to sue the other party, but without details about what happened, nobody here can help you.

Things to consider. If they do not end up totaling it, and you weren't at fault in the accident (you can be at fault, just harder to argue for this), demand compensation not only for the repairs, but for the diminished value. A car with major repairs is going to bluebook for far less. Paying you for repairs and diminished value is the only way to be "made whole."

Disclaimer, there are exceptions to literally every single point above. A huge amount will depend on what your policy is, and what the policies are for whoever crashed into you.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES SIGN SOMETHING WITHOUT READING AND FULLY UNDERSTANDING IT. Lot of companies try to coerce you into signing stuff so you can't ever get anything else out in the future. If their settlement offer is not acceptable, even marginally, you aren't forced to sign it. Lot of attorneys do free consultations for this sort of thing.
>>
So if I am at fault am I still able to get a check for my car if it is deemed a total loss?
>>
I'm also under a similar situation. My car was already appraised, and I've be offered a solid amount to be honest, but seeing as how it's wise to negotiate that amount, I would like to do so, but I'm not sure how to backup why.

I'm considering buying back my car for the $120 and flipping it whole for parts.
>>
>>14785965
That's going to depend on your policy.

You probably get some, but you might have some low limits.
>>
>>14784922
Start looking for a car, sorry about your loss.

Last year how it went with me was a transport truck hit my 3rd gen eclipse on the highway and didn't stop kept going. Car was on the edge of being totalled or being repaired and they said it was up to me, took the money because the car wouldn't be the same and also book value would be lower.

So they gave me a check for $6800 minus -$500 for the deductible (I got stuck with the deductible because the truck driver hit and run). They kept my car and fixed it / sold it at auction.

Doesn't always work out for the worse op. I got $6800 for a 2003 eclipse spyder with 210k km and got into a 2008 eclipse with 130k km for only $5300. If they give you enough you'll be able to get into a newer car with less miles, good luck.
>>
But how about if I am still financing the car?
>>
>>14788009
Do you have gap insurance?
If you do, you get back what you paid for the car.

If not, then you get the value of the car at the time of the crash, and you're still paying any excess.
>>
>>14788009
You are a fucking MORON if you're financing a car and didn't get gap insurance.

Hope you learn something from this. Such as how to understand your insurance, or how to pay the fuck attention while you're driving.

Silver lining here: OP probably won't be back out on the roads any time soon.
>>
The thing is anon the guy who hit me ran a red light, but I was still at fault. So I don't know how it is my fault and how I'm the fucking moron?
>>
>>14788825
Get a dashcam in the future so you can prove it.
>>
>>14788825
how/where did you hit them?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.