[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Next Gen Technology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Untitled.png (11 KB, 556x379) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
11 KB, 556x379
I present to you, the OBS (Oil Burn System)

The purpose of this system is to change the procedure of an "oil change" and to keep your oil more clean at all times.

How it works:
Your oil loops into a special burn chamber, controlled by a computer. The computer burns off very small amounts of oil based on mileage and engine hours. The burned oil's waste is deposited into the waste deposit canister. At the same time of the burning, the computer also draws from the oil reservoir and adds the exact amount of oil it just burned back into the system.

How the "oil change" is now handled:
You no longer drain any oil, instead you just add oil into your reservoir and change the waste canister. The OBR system has the added benefit of making the "oil change" procedure a completely top-side job, meaning you no longer have to go underneath the car.

Failsafes:
The OBR system can accurately read the level of the oil reservoir and will tell you when you need to add more oil. It will also cease burning oil if it detects there is a critically low level in the reservoir.

Adaptability:
For all you performance guys out there, maybe you want to pay a little extra to keep your engine running nice and clean? Well you can adjust the OBS computer to burn oil at a slightly higher rate. This would increase your oil consumption but that's not a problem because you want to show some love to your engine by keeping it clean. You can also perform a quick engine flush by hooking a hose up to your canister outlet and increasing the burn rate to very high cycling through a couple quarts of oil in a few minutes.

>So wait, I don't get it...
Instead of draining only 80% of your car's oil and adding in clean oil to your remaining 20% dirty oil, and then having the same oil for 5k+ miles, the OBS will burn off oil before it even has a change to get dirty and inject more clean oil over the course of 5k+ miles (or however long your specific OBS "oil change" period is)
>>
Woops I typoed "OBR" a couple times. Meant to say OBS but I'm pretty sure everyone will get that.
>>
>>14784907
10/10 for effort lad
hakuna miata would be proud
>>
>>14784907
You would reach an equilibrium level of shit in your oil, since this is a single-pass continuously stirred reactor now. With no filter, you would be exposing your engine to significantly more contamination, assuming you're burning oil at your normal "swap" rate (e.g., 4L every 3k miles).

2/10 for this was thought of 200 years ago, actually exists, in some applications, and there's a reason it's not a design option on a modern car.
>>
>>14784907
10/10, brilliant design OP.

>>14784944
Heh, I almost forgot about him and his engine
>>
>>14784969
You have control of that equilibrium with the ability to adjust your burn rate. The burn chamber would burn off any contamination and deposits it into the waste canister which is why you no longer need an "oil filter".
>>
>>14784907
Honda 4cyl engines already have this
>>
>>14785005
>assuming you're burning oil at your normal "swap" rate
>assuming you're burning oil at your normal "swap" rate

Great, so to get oil of the same quality that I can get with a filter and occasional dump/fill, I have to burn 10x as much oil as I used to. What an engineering success.
>>
>>14785061
10x is probably conservative
>>
>>14785005

And how does your thermal reactor counter the buildup of acid and moisture that forms in the crankcase?

Burning a volume of the compromised lube oil and adding the equivalent fresh lube oil dilutes the acidic content without removing it. The level of acidic compounds will soon increase with use of the engine.

The above is the undoing to bypass oil filtration too. While the particulates can be filtered or in your design burnt away, the chemical structure of the lube oil is compromised by the length of time it is in the sump, it's exposure to heat and the level of moisture in the crankcase.

How too are the heavy particulates that do not travel in suspension with the oil removed? These deposits will settle in the sump volume and will require removal.

It is a novel idea but there is more to lubrication than the removal of particulates. There are designs used in earthmoving and truck applications that pump a controlled amount of sump oil into the diesel fuel system before the primary oil filter over time that allows for extended draining periods through the regular addition of fresh lube oil that dilutes contaminates though this only extends the service interval, it does not replace the draining of compromised lube oil. You must remove these acidic compounds and refresh the detergents in the lube oil.
>>
File: Untitled.png (22 KB, 895x498) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
22 KB, 895x498
>>14785061
It's all the same dude
>>
So what do you plan to do with the emissions of the burned oil? It's highly illegal to vent it to atmosphere (in anything other than a race car), so you would have to draw it into the engine to be combusted and catalyzed, reducing power noticeably.

Basically all you've done is design an EGR system that generates its own exhaust gases, which is really stupid because the engine would still have to reclaim its own exhaust gases and burn that with the fumes from the oil burner and what little fresh air it could cram in there. It would make maybe 30 hp, get terrible fuel economy, and idle like it's missing a piston.
>>
>>14785139
yeah no not even remotely close, but as a practicing chemical engineer, I can assure you that you are quite possibly management material
>>
>>14785200
lel
>>
>>14785158
also in any case, your hydrocarbon emissions would be so high that a vehicle equipped with this system could not be sold in any developed nation. The catalyst will also be quickly destroyed by the massive amounts of oil in the exhaust.

you get a 2/10 for your informative diagram and explanation, but the idea itself is not sound.
>>
>>14784907
I like it
The next step is prototype
>Link related
>http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbside-classics-american/curbside-classic-the-incredible-12-second-quarter-mile-75-mpg-steam-injected-1978-mercury-bobcat/
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.