[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In Musk we Trust
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 17
File: flat,800x800,075,f.u2.jpg (70 KB, 666x800) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.u2.jpg
70 KB, 666x800
Have you paid your respects to our lord and saviour Elon Musk?

>outperforms gas cars at the same price and is totally emission free

How can gas cars even compete?
>>
>>14781400

Thanks to the country I live in, Canada...with winter lows of -30c to summer highs of 30c...gas cars will always be superior...

Thanks for calling, but count us out...
>>
>crediting musk for all the hard work the engineers and designers do
pls
>>
>>14781400

>sound
>feeling

That said, I'm a full-on believer that electric cars are the future for the masses.
>>
im pretty sure that the tesla will never be able to outperform a 90s civic or the toyota corolla
>>
>>14781400
Not really

And it's emissions deferred
>>
>>14781452
This

He's a yahoo who has lots of money to throw at his silly ideas
>>
>>14781400
>outperforms
>totally emission free

Sure ok whatever.
>>
>>14781480
he deserves some credit for having the drive to go for stuff like this, and outlining the general buisness plan (like the roadster->model s->model 3 approach for tesla), but the "prestige" of his companies brings in a lot of young talent that does the cool shit
>>
>>14781400
>cant complete hurrdurrring
Irrelevant
>>
How much longer till gas cars are outlawed?
>>
>>14781521
decades, probably.
there is currently no political will to outlaw or restrict any kind of classic car ownership or even kit car ownership, rightly it's assumed the numbers are so low as to not matter
>>
He's losing his marbles. Gonna bankrupt himself with his silly rockets and sillier Tesla models. I just want them to start making the Roaster again.
>>
>>14781512
Wait can it really not, why?
>>
>>14781582
It overheats and cuts power. Ended up lapping at around the same time as a Golf GTI.
>>
>>14781480
>He's a yahoo who has lots of money to throw at his silly ideas

That's called "being successful"

>PayPal
>Space X
>Tesla
>Hyperloop

His businesses are not "silly". They're revolutionary. We're just not use to game-changing ideas because most businessmen want to stay with the status quo to make money, get rich, then die. Elon Musk stirs the stagnant waters because he isn't a normal businessman. Thus, he is successful and can "throw his money at silly ideas"
>>
>>14781574
Plus, oil company corruption.
>>
>>14781595
Paypal is the only one that's actually made money. Even if he gets those rockets working after burning through a fuckton of his and the subsidy money, it'll still be cheaper to use disposable boosters for a long time. And thats assuming we dont get a mass driver working by then, which Im surprised we havent already. Saddam's Canadian supergun builder could put shit into space with a glorified artillery piece back in the Cold War for gods sake. Then there's Tesla that's not predicted to make a profit until 2020, assuming the government doesn't stop sending them dosh. And dont even get me started on that horrifying train-sized mail tube.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (33 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
33 KB, 480x360
>>14781640
His advantage is that the more dookie he goes, the more money people are willing to throw at him.
>>
>>14781400
Why don't you just make a pilgrimage to his house and blow him, you stupid fucking fanboy? Join your boy at the oatmeal and maybe you can go back in time and blow nicola tesla together.
>>
>>14781657
Maybe he can build the death-train on an angle so it can help fling shit into orbit. Now that would really save money and the environment.
>>
>>14781640
>subsidy money

You don't make 12 billion dollars from subsidies you idiot.

Also, Space X has been under NASA and private contracts for nearly a decade now. They managed a successful launch a long time ago.

Recent viral failures were new tech they were testing, and they managed a successful landing last year as well.

Stop being retarded and educate yourself.
>>
File: 1384909883114.jpg (283 KB, 1166x892) Image search: [Google]
1384909883114.jpg
283 KB, 1166x892
>>
>>14781696
I don't get it. What's wrong with electric cars?
>>
>>14781692
Thats because he's been absorbing the extra cost of getting one of the two stages of the rockets back in one piece. Something like 30% on top of what the company is getting payed. Hell, most of their missions were using the old kind that just crashed into the ocean when it was empty. Aint gonna be economically viable for a long time, especially with the foreigners having their own lifters that work just fine.
>>
File: Dragon.jpg (206 KB, 1024x841) Image search: [Google]
Dragon.jpg
206 KB, 1024x841
>>14781400
Yeah, yeah.. Tesla is cool and all, but I want to go for a ride in the Dragon.
>>
>>14781709
where did he say there was
>>
There's gotta be a Tesla model that can kick the German's around a track. Not for any practical reason, but just another point to add to the corporate dickwaving contest that fuels these purchases.
>>
File: Blue_Falcon.jpg (65 KB, 800x518) Image search: [Google]
Blue_Falcon.jpg
65 KB, 800x518
>>14781779
I can't wait till Tesla makes their own all electric F1 machine and curbstomps tge competition.
>>
>>14781615
oil companies are not dumb, they're diversifying their portfolios like mad so that when restrictions become stringent enough, they can jump ship to something else
>>
I don't understand why /o/ is so butthurt about Tesla. Elon is betting that R&D and economy of scale will make battery technology the technology of the future. He's either going to be right or wrong. No amount of money, meme cars, or legislation will be able to change the facts of the future and it's not like people are going to stop drilling for oil.
>>
>>14781804
Gonna be waiting a while. Cant see an electric F1 car being able to compete for a long time, because of that battery weight and low capacity. They'd have to swap out the pack a few times mid-race just to stay in the competition.
>>
>>14782071
>I don't understand why /o/ is so butthurt about Tesla.

Lets see
>Shit range
>Mediocre reliability
>Super expensive
>Boring
>Not that fast unless you get performance model, then it acts like American muscle - torque but no brakes/handling
>Gas counterpart usually faster

I don't understand why Musk dick riders see in Tesla
>>
>>14782134
here's a novel idea:

Don't buy one!

woww
>>
>>14782150
>negative opinions are not allowed to be discussed
>>
>>14782134
How the hell much range does an electric car need before you people stop whining about it?

The rest of your points are legit though. The Teslas are the least interesting EVs around.
>>
>>14782134
>I don't understand why Musk dick riders see in Tesla
>safest car on the road
>p90d will beat a hellcat to 60 while seating a family of 7 and being silent
if you don't think that is cool you are delusional
>>
>>14782162
>inb4 16 year olds arguing that noise is inherently cool
>>
>>14781804
Rewrite the rulebook enough and anything can win. Just look at diesel lmp cars.
>>
>>14782156
it's not just a negative opinion. it's an irrational hatred that gets circlejerked over and over for no reason.
>>
>>14782162
>muh 0-60 times
Ya after 60 it just shits the bed though.
>>
>>14782178
3 seconds is all it takes to embarrass a hellcat owner at a stoplight
>>
>>14782162
>after heating up for a few minutes, the p90d will beat a hellcat to 60 while screaming, exactly once before it makes you keep waiting to do another pull
>>
>>14782202
doesnt matter; beat a hellcat
>>
>>14782186
you only have 100m races?
>>
>>14781509
>he deserves some credit for having the drive to go for stuff like this
You are mistaking drive for ignorance. Elon does not truly understand how difficult the problems are.

Where I have to hand it to him is understanding customers better than the major automakers. One thing GM did very right with the EV-1 was make it peppy (0-60 in 6sec), something people commented on over and over again. Elon seems to have heard it while everybody else thought greenies want slow and economical (Leaf in mid 9s, Volt in high 8s).

In terms of raw engineering and design talent, he is not playing with a full deck. There is very little elegance or innovation in the actual vehicles.
>>
>>14782218
Assuming they stop at exactly the quarter mile. The Hellfat traps 10mph faster then the Tesla. Also,
>it handles worse then an 4600 pound American brick
>>
File: 1379443512523.png (72 KB, 226x263) Image search: [Google]
1379443512523.png
72 KB, 226x263
>>14781452
>all the hard work the engineers and designers do
>electric car with a battery
>>
>>14782186
Actually its a couple minutes. Gotta prep the battery on that idiotic iPad.
>>
>>14781400
Tesla is meh. Mercedes makes much better cars that not only performance better, but are cheaper for what you're getting.
>>
>>14782296
Who do you think came up with the batteries?
>>
>emission free
>let's ignore the fact batteries must be produced first and only last for a couple of years until they simply become toxic waste
>>
>>14782311
Panasonic.
>>
>>14782316
>only last for a couple of years until they simply become toxic waste
Not a single word of this phrase is true.
>>
>>14781595
What do you call the P1, the 918 or the One:1?

Or what about the Alfa 4C?

Or the Insight or Prius?

Those are game changing cars, as in they are reshaping the future of the car.

Game changing ideas is a marketing term, it is an idea had by somebody that does not understand innovation usually is a gradual process that builds on itself. Great ideas are typically completely incapable of mass production or commercial application before decades of refinement.

Elong isn't changing the game, he is standing on the shoulders of giants and proclaiming himself tall.
>>
>>14782159
how much?
average 80mph for 600+ miles. That is what my 20 year old car does, is extremely comfy, lots of interior space. Oh and it is doing this with 200,000+ miles on the clock.
>>
>>14782311
Luigi Galvani.
>b-but not these super magic tesla batteries (which still got the energy density of a chair after a few minutes of farting on it)
>>
>>14782327
>Alfa 4C
>reshaping the future of the car
It's just an Italian Lotus, big fucking whoopy.
>>
>>14782325
>
it's disturbing people this clueless are posting on a car board.
>>
>getting divorced by wife for a second time (no prenup)
>tesla has never turned a profit
>tesla runs on government gibs me dat
>spaceX runs on government gibs me dat
>>
>>14782335
It's the first all carbon fiber car available to normal people. That is absolutely huge.
>>
>>14782282
>>14782233
>by the time the hellcat catches up all the people behind you at the light think the tesla kicked your ass very bad

kek
>>
>innovation

I see this floated around a lot by tesla fanbois, but what do they mean by it?

What is really innovative about taking a load of laptop batteries and coupling them up to an electric motor?

How is a concept as old as the car itself only with better batteries that weren't even designed by tesla more innovative than say the toyota fcv which is really pushing boundaries with fuel cell technology, or bmw and their r&d turbosteamer tech?
>>
>>14782381
>by the time people behind you catch up they see the tesla being pushed to the side of the road
>>
>>14781640
>mass drivers
As much as I like space cannons, it would make a poor launch method from earth. It relies on an immense initial acceleration in the beginning of the payloads flightpath (where the atmosphere would be thickest). Not to mention this initial acceleration would be enough to kill any passengers on board.

Mass drivers would be great to have on a moon base or a mars colony (where gravity and atmosphere would be less of a concern), but it can't be compared to earth-based launch methods.
>>
>>14782134
>Shit range
215 miles/350km per charge. That's more than you need for urban transit, and about 3 hours on a long countryside drive, which is the recommended intervals for 30 min breaks for health and safety reasons.

The Supercharger stations will recharge your car in 30 mins for FREE. But if you wanna keep going, for 70 bucks you can swap the battery in one minute. Granted, it's still half tge range per tank of a gas car, but that's still a lot.
>Mediocre reliability
Explain. They're fairly relianle and need less repairs than gas cars due to having less moving parts.
>Super expensive
$35,000 is not expensive when a brand new gas car costs about the same. Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, etc... hell, Toyotas go for around 40,000 for the nicer ones. 35,000 is a good price, and with the subsidy it goes for 27,500$, which is the same price as most new cars.
>Boring
For you. New technology and autopilot are exciting. I'd much rather a car that's safer on the road and lets me be productive rather than deal with merging lanes
>Not that fast unless you get performance model, then it acts like American muscle - torque but no brakes/handling
Fast enough. Performance models also edge out muscle cars.
>Gas counterpart usually faster
>usually
Not really. Most gas cars can't 0-60 in 1.6 seconds

All that said, none of those are reasons to be upset about the Model 3. It's a very viable car. So why the hateboner anon?

Is it cause gas cars are on their last legs? Sorry we refuse to choke on poison so you can get off to your purrs and roars.
>>
>>14781736
>even my space capsule has gull-wings
>>
>>14782170
>no reason

see >>14782134 again.
>>
>>14782332
>600+ miles range
>20 year old car
Nice lies. The majority of the cars on American roads don't have a range of more than 400 miles. 215 miles is great nigger. Plus the range is bound to go up.
>>
>>14782410
see >>14782071 again

there is no reason for this proactive butthurt about Tesla. you guys all act like Elon has a personal vendetta against your autistic preoccupation with 6 speed transmissions and exhaust notes when in reality he is just a businessman.
>>
>>14782398
tesla is going to run out of subsidies by the time normal people start buying them
>>
File: 1453580905269.jpg (38 KB, 589x399) Image search: [Google]
1453580905269.jpg
38 KB, 589x399
>>14781640
>it'll still be cheaper to use disposable boosters for a long time
Are you serious? Do you know how much the cost difference is?
Unless you mean all the R&D money? part of it is paid by contacts. Hell even their test flights send payloads into space for $$

And no, R&D for "mass drivers" (you mean a space fountain?) is so far behind. Unless you mean the kind that can only send certain types of materials because the initial acceleration would kill people and break satellites

Tesla profit tho, they're at a make it/break it point now. Low on cash. Recent Model 3 hype seems to have satisfied all those investors tho
>>
>>14782421
>implying Tesla is run by subsidies
>implying your hate filled fantasy will come true

300,000 preorders and counting. Tesla had a goal of 500,000 per year by 2020. They're about to blast through that goal, as they'll probably hit 500,000 on perorders alone. EVs are the future. I can't wait for faggots like you to eat shit
>>
>>14782398
>Most gas cars can't 0-60 in 1.6 seconds

most gas cars don't lose half their gas tank when they do
>>
>>14782398
not that anon, but I think its a neat car, the tesla fan boys and lying is what piss me off.

The range is toy range, especially for the united states. You are either very obtuse or know this to be true. It really can't be your primary car unless you rent for long trips. In the d.c. area this would be fine around the d.c. area and Baltimore and such. But the range is limited for american driving.

The are indeed reliable.. although over time the range does drop off. For the car being what is is, 35,000 is a bit much.

As far as its speed, this is one of the lies that bugs me the most. Yes it has breakneck acceleration, but doing that drastically cuts its range. More so that its gas counterpart.

It is neat, i'm glad its an american company leading the way with this. For urban environments, and short ranges its brilliant.

As far as the environment, production of materials and the car are pretty bad, especially mining for batteries and electric motors.. in much the same way that conflict diamonds were called blood diamonds.. they should call the batteries blood batteries.
>>
>>14782387
>turbosteamer
holy shit, that is a thing? I thought of doing this last year on a roadtrip.

feels good to see BMWs efficiency calcs are within 1-2% of what I worked out in my head
>>
>>14782449
thats nice but, there are still no subsidies on purchases of tesla cars
>>
>>14782449
The goal is 500,000 production a year, and currently they're managing 20,000.
>>
>>14782413
17.1 gallon tank capacity. avg highway mpg is about 35.7 mpg. That equals 610.

I'm sorry you don't have a car and can't do math.
>>
>>14782413
my 95 BMW M3 can do 480 miles on a tank if i drive smoothly at 65.

I did a bunch of road trips last year so that's how I know. Works out to 34 MPG
>>
>>14782456
There's a few companies looking at it. BMW was the first that came to mind.

It's pretty cool, run all your ancillaries on heat you're currently just dumping to the atmosphere. Although I hate to imagine how complex the designs will end up being.
>>
>>14782476
seems really simple to me. cool the block with a refrigerant under a lot of pressure, run something like an A/C compressor in reverse.

Any car A/C system is running the exact same cycle proposed in the turbosteamer but in reverse.
>>
File: bigstock-Rice-Bowl-6595095.jpg (178 KB, 875x875) Image search: [Google]
bigstock-Rice-Bowl-6595095.jpg
178 KB, 875x875
>>14782456
>>14782476
I'm sad at the engineering hurdles though
Ideas been around for decades (even in BMW), it's just so hard to make it work at a level they can sell.

I wouldn't even mind having to fill it up with water every 1000miles
>>
>>14782473
http://solarchargeddriving.com/2011/05/13/whats-your-gasoline-cars-range/

I'm afraid you need to go back to grade school.

>>14782474
Yeah, 480 is understandable, but that's the high end. The majority of of cars on the road barely edge out 400 though. Maybe 420, 430. But to say that EVs need to hit 600 to compete is beyond retarded.

I'm a Yurofag. 350 km is more than enough. For daily commute, that range is plenty. For long trips, it merely means one 30 min stop halfway to recharge. Which is fine since it provides a break from being couped up in the car, and it's obvious people will expand tge rest areas in the recharge stations adding lots of things for people to do and buy. Here in Yurop, a 30 min break every 3 hours is mandatory. I don't see why you Americans can't do the same. I used to.live there 5 years ago, and we often stopped for a break on long road trips to piss, eat, stretch, etc... Plenty of time to recharge your battery. Especially considering the Supercharge is FREE.
>>
>>14782510
the less you charge your EV the longer your battery last and the less coal you burn
>>
>>14781400
> outperforms

in which ways exactly?
>>
>>14782413
diesels have pretty ridiculous range
>>
>>14782522
You're right, but I wanna add:
The CO2 produced per mile on an EV is significantly lower than the CO2 produced per mile on a gas car. This is simply because the efficiency of a power plant is much much better than that of a small car engine. In addition, the superchargers are solar, and EVs are powered by multiple sources including wind, solar, coal, and even nuclear, the last one of which I'm a huge supporter of.

Also, EVs are a huge step toward getting us off fossil fuels since Fusion is on the horizon, and Solar and Wind are gaining momentum.

Not even Tesla fangasming. I'm glad Chevy, Volvo, Audi, and Mercedes are churning out competitors for the Model 3. I'm glad more and more people are buying EVs. The sooner we get off gas cars the better.
>>
>>14782553
Diesels are also some of the most polluting cars on the planet.
>>
>>14782574
that's a pretty vague statement
>>
>>14782510
so you posted a link, that doesn't have my car in it. It does have a car with similar capacity and mpg. The link you posted states its range is 600 miles. While the average in america is probably around 400 miles.. especially considering SUVs, not all cars are shit, some are actually pretty damn good.
>>
>>14782577

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/jan/27/diesel-engine-fumes-worse-petrol

I told you I'm a eurofag, I breathe that shit all the time. Diesel is awful.
>>
>>14782585
What is anectdotal evidence....

Fucking moron.
>but muh car
Fucking kill yourself you single-celled organism.
>>
>>14782588
they have more particulate emissions but less of everything else

http://www.air-quality.org.uk/26.php
>>
File: 1458948808266.jpg (44 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1458948808266.jpg
44 KB, 500x375
>>14782564
>Fusion is on the horizon
>>
>>14782598
Literally breathe fumes from a diesel car, and then from a gas car, and then tell me which one makes you wanna cough less. Again, I live in Yurop, Diesel cars are everywhere. Whenever a gas car passes by it's a blessing cause they're less disgusting to breathe. Plain and simple. Twist and turn the numbers all you want, but it's clear emissions are bad, and EVs are a good answer.
>>
>>14782610
> twist numbers
you cant twist numbers, they're just facts
keep saying all the anecdotal evidence you want, your fucking mouth isn't a pollution measuring device
>>
>>14782601
>detecting gravity waves? lmfao
>>
>>14782507
I really don't understand where the complexity is.

It is a relatively low delta heat engine. Nothing too special there. It's also relatively low output (a max of 75hp on a sports car using it like a hybrid assist) so you could connect it to the crank with a toothed belt like a big supercharger. Also like a supercharger you could put a clutch on the pulley so you don't get the boost effect while off throttle.

IDK, it just seems to me like getting a turbo charged EFI motor to run great under all conditions and pass smog should pose more of a challenge.
>>
>>14782610
> literally doesn't realize the other poster said particulate emissions are higher (i.e. the kind of emissions you can smell)
> what is reading comprehension
>>
>>14782601
>Fusion is on the horizon
I can not wait to do this with my gf
>>
>>14782601
ITER goes online by 2020.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER

People say 50 years at best. From there we have experimental energy like Anti-matter drives and such. That said, the biggest problem isn't the production of energy, but rather the conversion since we still use steam to turn turbines. Aside from photovoltaic and wind, our current model of heating water is massively inefficient. 80% of energy is lost in the conversion.

That said, Fission is quite good. We should just embrace that. The energy produced by Fission is far higher than anything else right now, and fusion is only 5-10x more powerful. Modern fission is also super safe and efficient. It's also clean. Look at France, where 80% of their energy comes from Nuclear Fission. Everyone should follow suit till more efficient methods are ready.
>>
>>14782651
Photovoltaic is massively inefficient, producing the panels is damaging to the environment, don't you forget it.

Also you are forgetting about Fukushima. Not everybody is mature enough to handle nuclear fission.
>>
>>14782651
France has pretty high energy costs.
Considering China builds a coal fired power station every week, and the world probably does it every day who cares?
>>
File: turbosteammmm.jpg (489 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
turbosteammmm.jpg
489 KB, 1280x720
>>14782628
It's packaging + cost + service.

Getting the power back on the driveline is the easy part. Hard part is having this steam engine fit on the exhaust route and still be safe/cost effective.

You gotta have some place where liquid (some water mix that will BOIL and produce steam+pressure) heats up enough, then cools back down.

Then service... Either they put the money into a really nicely sealed system so you don't have to add water often or they just start selling "steam water" that you fill up anywhere between every gas fill up to every oil change.

It's an engineering challenge for sure.
Turbo placement/routing/cooling is a cake walk in comparison
>>
>>14782162

Lmao @ thinking it'll beat a Hellcat with 7 people.

>5000lbs curb weight
>7 people x 200lbs avg = 1400lbs
>6400lbs
>more than a ford f250

And that's if you get the $120,000 model - P85D with AWD whom nobody will have AND go from a stop, not from a roll when the Hellcat can actually have traction.

For that price you can get a Hellcat AND a fucking E-Class.

FOH
>>
>>14782672
Photovoltaic is churning at 30% and improving. That's much better than the sub 20% of steam turbines.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cell_efficiency

>>14782697
>who cares

Well, a lot of people do. China is not an example to follow, and fact should be encouraged in the opposite direction unless you wanna live in a planet where global warming has reached an unturnable critical point.
>>
>>14782398

215 mile range sucks because it's not actually 215 miles, it's less. Radio, headlights, AC = that all uses power. And it's only about 100 miles you can drive away from your house. There + back = 200 miles = out of gas.

Charge for 8 hours or use supercharger which adds a large amount of wear and tear on your battery.

Literally $30,000 for a new battery. Lithium Ions only last about 5-6 years AT BEST.

>Safer on the road
Okay Carl calm down it's only chalk

>Most gas cars can't 0-60 in 1.6 seconds
It's 2.8 with the maximum performance model. Model 3 will only 0-60 in under 6 seconds. Most cars at that range already do that not to mention can hit 150mph. Model 3 will probably max out at 100mph and it'll be slow as fuck from a roll.

>gas cars are on their last legs
Literally $25 for a near full tank. New predictions say we'll run out of gas by 2060. You'll probs be dead by then, choke on your wife's bull cum or something.
>>
>>14782595
the article you posted listed 6 cars, one of which, the fusion, a pretty average car, gets 600 miles on a tank in highway driving.

If you are going to be bitching about anectdotal evidence provide some data, your link was lacking.

I was expecting a paid musk shill to be of at least apple shill quality.

I mean for fuck sakes, a Camry, the very definition of average car gets 32mph highway and has a 18.5 tank. ~600 miles on a tank.
>>
>>14782772
>I mean for fuck sakes, a Camry, the very definition of average car gets 32mph highway and has a 18.5 tank. ~600 miles on a tank.
I was referencing a 2000 camry by the way.
>>
>>14781435
Why? Electric cars can't run on high and low temperatures?
>>
>>14782706
I don't get why they don't use one of the closed aqueous ammonia power cycles. Insulate the block and ignore the exhaust for the first system. Massive amounts of energy are already being dumped through the cooling system.

Yeah maybe for starters you only put 7HP back into the drivetrain but if you are cruising and only using 30 HP, taking a 7HP load off is huge (yuge! even).

For about 2 years now I've been studying power plant design, specifically low temperature delta heat engines that people have been building for non-concentrating solar. I can see this system so clearly in my mind I'm almost thinking about building a prototype on my own car.
>>
>>14782736
in real life the standard P85 is faster to 60 than a hellcat

P85D and P90D would beat a hellcat easily. it wouldn't even be close.
>>
>>14782811
>aqueous ammonia
Would be a good idea for a purely sealed system. Not sure how they'll handle routine/emergency pressure release.

>ignore exhaust
I don't think they want to risk cooling system. I think the basis of the system is to scavenge the exhaust heat.

The estimates i've read were 15HP with exhaust, still great.

My big question for systems like these is energy delivery. Would it better to pipe the steam to some sort of steam engine next to motor/crankshaft?
Or better to have the steam engine on it's own making electricity and have that drive accessories/electric motor.

I know the conversion is a big energy loss, but from packaging/safety perspective, might be better
>>
File: idontseeanychargingstations.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
idontseeanychargingstations.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Spending 75k on a electric car is stupid as hell. You could get an equivalent vehicle, ride quality wise, albeit not as fast plus 5 years worth of gas for that much. A 15k electric car would make sense.

Don't give me that no maintenance bullshit either, there's still plenty of maintenance and wear items on a electric car.

I personally need a 600km minimum range, that's 600 km's of hard ass driving not hypermiling like a geriatric fuck. I drive out to the mountains a lot which is usually a ~500km trip, no superchargers or outlets out in the forest...
>>
>>14783007
It's 35k retard. Where are you pulling 75k from?
>>
>>14782907
I think overpresure could be handled by having a condenser/radiator large enough to radiate all collected heat in 120F ambient temps with out any power takeoff. Then I suppose you could have an expansion tank as a plan B and a burst valve as a plan C.

Which I think ties into doing the cooling system for the motor first and ignoring the exhaust. Basically build an aqueous ammonia cooling system that can handle the complete demands of the engine first (just like how a normal cooling system does), but built onto the side of it is a heat engine that pulls heat out of the working fluid. Basically your heat engine is working in parallel to the condenser/radiator. From there have a diverter valve before the heat engine that gives it as many kW of hot coolant as it can deal with and bypasses the rest to the condenser/radiator to be dumped.

The way that seems apparent to me is run a belt or chain from the heat engine directly to crank. As the engine comes up to temp the friction and losses from the bearings, valvetrain, pumping and accessories would become counteracted.

There is so much energy being dumped I think considerations about efficiency can come second. Think about it. In a %27 efficient engine making 360hp peak, you are dumping 980hp worth of heat. If you can put 98hp back into the crank (%10 efficient) it will feel like you added a small turbo.
>>
>>14783055

It's like ~75k Canadian after you option it out, install the home charging station plus fees, taxes and all that horseshit.
>>
>>14783157
>Canada
Your fault for living in that overpriced shithole
>>
>>14782889

Why do Musk dick riders only bring up 0-60 from a dig and nothing else? In real life, no one stops in the middle of a highway and drives up to 60.... they go from a roll.

And it won't take a Hellcat to beat a P85D. An M4 can do it no problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-SRHxcpG6I
>>
File: p85d.jpg (35 KB, 500x359) Image search: [Google]
p85d.jpg
35 KB, 500x359
>>
>>14783169
Because its ALL THEY HAVE
>>
>>14783169
>people race from a 10mph roll more often than they do from stoplights
LOLOLOLOL
>>
>>14783189
Why do hellcat fanboys only bring up highway roll races? Because it's ALL THEY HAVE
>>
>>14783205
Why do Supra owners never leave home with out their dyno charts? Because it's ALL THEY HAVE.
>>
>>14783220
Why do yuropoors insist FWD is just as fun as RWD? Because it's ALL THEY HAVE.
>>
>>14783220
Why do rotary owners always remember to bring their excuses along? Because it's ALL THEY HAVE.
>>
>>14783229
Why do toyobaru fanbois always brag about magazine reviews? Because it's ALL THEY HAVE.
>>
>>14782296
shit's actually kinda hard to make usable, go ask GM about how hard it was to make the volt from scratch, that was seriously development challenge

the Bolt is just the volt without the engine, easier to do once the volt was done
>>
>>14781435
Tesla can keep its battery at appropriate temperatures. A winter night might cost you 5 miles of range. Though plugging it in eliminates that and lets you keep the car interior nice.
>>
File: zombie222.jpg (167 KB, 1780x980) Image search: [Google]
zombie222.jpg
167 KB, 1780x980
>>14783504
>shit's actually kinda hard to make usable

Obviously not if rednecks can whip together shit in their garage that beat's production vehicles in almost every way. Manufactures need to stop trying to make everything so futuristic looking and start working on battery technology.

Maybe if manufactures stopped focusing on giant ipads and making the interior look like George Jetson's BSDM room, we'd have vehicles that didn't run out of juice after 200 miles.
>>
>>14781582
Battery cant support performance for long time (8 mins)
>>
>>14783586
everyone's working on battery tech, that is a tough nut to crack
i love the zombie but it's 50 miles of range and it;s $150,000
>>
>>14783586

I don't think anybody in their right mind is against electric motors and instantaneous torque. What we are against is the 1 ton battery pack that's used to power it and making the entire thing handle like a boat and run out of juice before it can complete 1 lap of the Ring.

The fastest car of the future is gonna be V6 twin turbo twin electric motor. EM for torque, turbo for high end, V6 to keep the weight down, GG.
>>
>>14783692
best part is because the electric motor is handling the down low torque you can put really big turbos for top end power only

but you'll still need SOME batteries
>>
>>14783692
whole reason he's pushing the tech is to make better batteries

his words
>>
>>14784173
>Elong is such a sperg about batteries he created a car company to make better batteries so his vibrator will last longer
>>
>>14784173

Bullshit. He's obviously taking the easy way out by using off the shelf batteries. He's a fucking Jew that's trying to make a profit, He doesn't give a fuck if "his" technology saves the planet or not. Sort of like other big companies that copy something and put their name on it *cough apple cough*
>>
>>14786269
while he is using an existing cell.

the innovation is in the software and hardware that manages the cells.

He also now owns half of the worlds Li-Ion 18650 cell production.
>>
>>14782162
>barely faster than a focus
http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow-springs-streets-of-willow
>>
>>14786301
leave the Focus in 2nd gear the entire time and see how it does.

Teslas have a single gear and are geared for a specific balance of acceleration, range, and top speed.
>>
>>14786291

>the innovation is in the software and hardware that manages the cells.

Sticking a bunch of 18650's in plastic holders with tiny fusable links is hardly innovation. Having things controlled by a giant linux tablet is hardly innovation either. A billion dollars will buy you a lot of Asian engineering.

>He also now owns half of the worlds Li-Ion 18650 cell production.

Naw. He's pretty much cucked by Panasonic. If they denied him the cells for some reason he'd be screwed.
>>
>>14786379
Gigafactory.

Once the logistics are sorted. That plant can make all the cells Tesla cars need.
>>
>>14783543
>A winter night might cost you 5 miles of range
In comparatively mild weather, Jalopnik experienced 40 miles of range loss per night when they did their cross country road trip.
>>
>>14786490
Elon owns the building, Panasonic owns the tools and the cells.
>>
>>14786320
This sounds like a design fault. Transmissions are a mature technology.
>>
>>14782807
more that the battery's cant cope
they are very sensitive to temperature changes
>>
>>14786542
*Elong
>>
>>14786573
all the transmissions they tried to use during testing shredded themselves from the torks
>>
File: P3.jpg (21 KB, 462x410) Image search: [Google]
P3.jpg
21 KB, 462x410
>>14788031
I bet the fags didn't even try a Lenco
>>
>>14788044
what in the actual fuck
>>
why are we even discussing transmissions for electric cars

why are we even discussing track times for 5000 lbs family sedans

why are all of you so closeted and stupid

why don't you idiots do some research and stop bringing down the average intelligence level of the human race
>>
File: shiftermodule.jpg (21 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
shiftermodule.jpg
21 KB, 500x375
>>14788061

each lever activates a different gear

i bet you didn't even know the lever on your family automatic isn't even hooked to the actual transmission

what a fuckass

how stupid are you
>>
>>14788081
Man automotive design has really shit the bed hasn't it?
>>
>>14788064
There is nothing wrong with discussing transmissions for electric cars.
>>
File: 1459791734844.jpg (27 KB, 362x266) Image search: [Google]
1459791734844.jpg
27 KB, 362x266
> drive reliable, affordable elctric car
> posto o/ about it

Literally zero replies

> make shit thread about meme-mobile with shit build quality

P a n d e m o n i u m
>>
>>14788094

it is when there is no point in it

you use a transmission so you can gear a motor's powerband for the intended purpose

tesla's cars have the perfect powerband to get to speed quickly and have a reasonable top speed

>>14788108

faggot

tesla is the next ford
>>
>>14788044
for one
>longitudinal gearbox on an electric motor stuffed into the subframe
for another
>that in a semi-luxury car

that'd be cool in an EV muscle car conversion though
>>
>>14788144
So just powerglide it.
Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.