[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just found a really well priced corolla gts that hasn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 86 light flip.gif (995 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
86 light flip.gif
995 KB, 500x280
Just found a really well priced corolla gts that hasn't been molested and just needs exterior/interior work.
I have been wanting a fun backroads car, was also looking at rx7 fc and mr2 sw20
Should I pull the trigger /o/?
>>
What is "reasonably priced"?
>>
>>14779763
3k, Registered and everything
>>
>>14779790
I'd buy it.
>>
>>14779790

That's not bad, that's SR5 money right there but for that price, be prepared to put in some major work, new sunroof seal, new quarter window clips and resealed, new hoses, ect.
>>
>>14779808
Sounds good, yeah I plan on doing all that, and doing an overall check up on the car.
Are they known for any problems?
>>
>>14779751
>I have been wanting a fun backroads car, was also looking at rx7 fc and mr2 sw20
you're getting a car thats significantly slower than both of those
>>
>>14779831

It's going to be 80% rust m8

Honestly though a 4A-GE should be no more than $800 even if you buy it from some overpriced JDM tyte engine depo, so if anytihng breaks just buy a new one
>>
>>14779838
True, but I wasnt looking forward to snap oversteer or apex seal goodness either
>>
m8, be prepared for more than just exterior and interior work. Last two years for me:

>LSD diff whine - replaced LSD because the clutch plates in the old one were basically annhilated after 30 years
>battery drain
>sunroof and firewall leak so driving in the rain is a bad idea
>wobbly steering rack
>leaky power steering hoses
>leaking oil cooler - removed oil cooler
>pop-up motor failed
>pilot bearing needs replacement
>starter lead wire plastic bit broke, so I get to enjoy trying to find a new plastic clip and learning ignition timing because the distributor had to come off to get access to the starter
>AC obviously doesn't work
>mysterious misfire at idle
>strange creaking from the front and various "old car" sounds that I can't fix
>speedo gear is kaput, so I do 100 mph all day every day
>rust holes in the stock exhaust
>engine harness wiring is degraded and needs to be rewrapped at least
>doesn't exactly pass smog
>and millions of tiny but expensive to fix cosmetic details that get on my nerves

I consider myself lucky to have had so few problems and a generally functional car. Most 86s are true shitpiles that need a restoration if they're under $8000. But probably worth experiencing one for $3k. If you can wrench and aren't going into this knowing nothing like I did, you'll be fine. I've only spent about $2.5k in repair and maintenance but close to $1k was just on the diff replacement.
>>
>>14779876
Thats fine, I actually didn't want to buy a bunch of local ones because they were too complete, and too finished I mean a used car is never 100% right hah. Thanks
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.