[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the FUCK did people get around without GPS? I can barely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 13
File: driving-affect-your-credit.jpg (39 KB, 1360x872) Image search: [Google]
driving-affect-your-credit.jpg
39 KB, 1360x872
How the FUCK did people get around without GPS? I can barely leave my city without getting lost.

I think people underrate how much web mapping has transformed society. Possibly the greatest most transformative innovation of the 21st century.
>>
>>14777152
Well people used paper maps. Same idea just helped to have a passenger.
>>
File: THE_RIDE_NEVER_ENDS.jpg (231 KB, 863x752) Image search: [Google]
THE_RIDE_NEVER_ENDS.jpg
231 KB, 863x752
>mfw I was alive for when having no sense of direction aka being a failure actually could hold you back in life.

I miss those times.
>>
>>14777152
planned with maps, it wasn't all that bad. you have to pay attention to signs and stuff more if you don't have the route memorized
>>
>>14777152
>underrated
No, people are just more and more lazy and would crash and burn without muh google maps.
>>
i dislike gps.. i prefer to study my route before embarking.. i sometimes keep a phone or laptop handy but auto association road maps and travel books are even more useful

i've traveled all over the americas this way on two and four wheels

getting lost is also underrated, you find some of the coolest places this way
>>
Paper maps, planning your route & planning your route beforehand.

It was only difficult if you were traveling to a dense city or in rural areas with bad road signs/navigation.
>>
>>14777152
I've never used GPS. I pre-plan the route by looking at a map and just look out for landmarks.
>>
>tfw you have a great sense of direction, but no one appreciates it because everyone just depends on GPS now anyway
>>
i travel by pissing into the wind and seeing where my piss goes, that's where I go
>>
>>14777278
I know this feel
>always know which way north is
>only time I lose it is after a plane ride and once I learn it again I don't lose it.
>>
File: yy.webm (839 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
yy.webm
839 KB, 1280x720
>>14777152
paper maps
>>
>>14777152
DEJA VU! I HAVE SEEN THIS POST BEFORE
HIGHER ON THE PAGE! AND I KNOW THAT I WILL GET REPLIES
>>
>>14777152
remember which direction north is

this helps quite a bit, you can unlose yourself even if you don't know the area well just by knowing which way is up
>>
The best way to get from one area to another without any GPS is to generally know where suburbs or towns, where they are in relation to each other and follow town signs on the road to a suburb close to home, or a familiar road.
>>
>>14777152
Streets signs are meaningful in europe
>>
>>14777152

Do people not go cruising around the city anymore? OR do you just drive to work and back? Kind of a waste of a car if you're not going to use it to explore new places.
>>
>>14777546
Literally listening to this right now as I'm reading
>>
b8 thread
>>
File: 1455832202449.png (383 KB, 673x885) Image search: [Google]
1455832202449.png
383 KB, 673x885
>>14777152
>tfw People don't know how to read a paper map
>or understand how road signs work

I share the roads with people like this...
>>
File: herpaderpa.png (285 KB, 921x593) Image search: [Google]
herpaderpa.png
285 KB, 921x593
>>14777152
I live in Phoenix, it's a big grid with only a few mountains and Grand Avenue to fuck things up.
>>
>>14777278
>>14777472
My traveler bros
>>
>>14777152
I've navigated from across the state without a GPS

[spoiler]they're called signs[/spoiler]
>>
>mfw somebody thinks we're gonna die or something because we left town without a charger
>>
>>14777152
I don't use GPS. I just look at a map then drive.
Even if it is Google maps.
>>
>>14778995
>There are payphones these days.
>>
>>14777152
Be a busrider for ten years taking most of the bus routes that go around town. Looking outside that bus window sure payed off.
>>
>get lost
>head towards the ring road
>>
File: 1387272762049.jpg (30 KB, 629x526) Image search: [Google]
1387272762049.jpg
30 KB, 629x526
>mfw some 18 year old kid got lost in a german forest last week and had to make an emergency call at 1 am from the middle of nowhere
I think future generations will literally die without GPS.
>>
Maybe you should leave your house more often to know your city better.
>>
>>14780146
>you need to be in constant telecommunication contact
>>
I dont own a phone or a gps and I never been lost.

I have a couple maps in my car in case.
>>
>>14777152

By having a general understanding of where you are going and what you will be passing. After that it is just following the road signs.
>>
>>14780307
This.

I only use GPS for the last kilometers to be sure to find the location I'm looking for (since it's usually a village or this kind of shit without any road signs when you're near)
>>
>>14777152
By reading signs
>>
>>14777152
so if i stole your phone you're effectivly lost? kek ive got to do this to more poeple
>steal phone
>they can't even get home
>>
>>14777230
I wish I was single again

My girlfriend is fucking awesome with everything but being over organised,..

I just want to live without my planned week, planned trip or planned dinner
>>
>>14777152
I would agree with this.

In truth, it's not hard to just look at a map and and find highways or major roads to get you from one geographic area to another, but how the hell anybody managed to find something like a specific address is beyond me. You just had to ask locals i guess.
>>
>>14780902
You use another map. You used to be able to just buy them at petrol stations (and you still can at good ones).
>>
>>14780928
Ah, I guess that's the part I've never had to do. gps was just starting to appear when I got my license and was prolific by the time needed to drive long distances.

even with that though, the smaller the scale gets the harder it is to relate to your actual position in a tangled mess of roads. I'd imagine everybody still got lost a lot?
>>
I remember growing up my parents had to plot roadtrips on maps.
When I did my first roadtrips on my own, I borrowed someone's tom-tom or Garmin (before smart phones) and it got me crazy lost, so the whole trip we switched to paper maps. I remember plotting out a route through rural Tennessee because we got lost while running from crazy rednecks. Dang OP, you got me all nostalgic.
>>
>>14780969
You just stopped at a local gas station bought a drink or something and asked the clerk. Its not hard plus you always had a chance to try the local snack specialty.
>>
When you're in Australia there's only one highway that you ever really travel. Makes it easy.
>>
tfw when i was a kid you had to plan when you wanted to be picked up

and you had to write down directions from the computer and pray you didnt miss a turn
>>
File: 1521.jpg (26 KB, 386x217) Image search: [Google]
1521.jpg
26 KB, 386x217
>>14777180
>people are just more and more lazy and would crash and burn without muh google maps

I have a buddy who grew up in the same area. He wont' drive ANYWHERE without putting it into his phone first. Keep in mind, he's now 24 and he's spent his entire life in this suburb. Doesn't matter how many times he's been to a place, he doesn't know where it is, doesn't know street names, doesn't know landmarks, doesn't know the interstate. If he visits the same place enough times, he knows how many turns he has to make to get there.

Driving back to his own house from a restaurant about 6 streets down:

>puts house address into google maps.
>"why would I need to learn streets when I can use put it into my phone?"
>"I never bothered to learn where anything is because I could just look it up

I fucking love google maps and it's a goddamn lifesaver....but jesus christ man.......
>>
Fuck GPS slaves.
You cunts have no idea where you are going when you don't have one.
Learn the routes and how they connect together

t. 60k miles a year in 4 states man
>>
>>14781450
The one thing I'm glad cellphones killed was when a group of people would go somewhere like a park or a mall and you had to agree on a time and place to meet back up. Because invariably someone would fuck around and not be there so you would have to go hunting for them. Now you can just call.
>>
File: 1441946762330.png (421 KB, 680x586) Image search: [Google]
1441946762330.png
421 KB, 680x586
>>14781474
>>14781459

I'm not going to get a superiority complex because I know the roads I drive on. GPS is probably one of the greatest things to hit the consumer market.

That being said, you should still have a general idea of where things are, just seems like a basic life skill like changing a tire. Do I change a tire everyday and professionally? No. Could I do it if I had to? Yes.

>If he visits the same place enough times, he knows how many turns he has to make to get there.

Pretty sure should've grown out of this by middle school
>>
>>14781430
>albany
>brand
>gt eastern
>gt northern
>southwestern

And that's on the side of the country with the least places to go.
>>
>>14777230
This. I memorize the important turns and figure out most as I go by paying attention to signs. Sometimes I have to retrace a step, but that's no biggie.

>>14777278
My gf is always amazed at how I know where we are when strolling around. Since we met, she's been getting a lot better. She's from a city with a grid and numbered streets, so moving to a convoluted european town was quite a change.
>>
>>14777152
>How the FUCK did people get around without GPS? I can barely leave my city without getting lost.
By passing elementary school and knowing how to read a map and tell directions.

You're just fucking retarded.
>>
>>14777158
I remember taking a road trip to DC with my parents ~2000 and my mom navigating with a map book
>>
It's very easy to navigate highways/interstates in the US, look around with your eyeballs for some signs
>>
what happens in a black out when gps goes down? i don't even want to think about it
>>
>>14781793
Why would GPS stop working in a black out? Do you even know it works?
>>
>>14777152
there's a thing called common sense and maps

you should try it out!
>>
File: 1433440579548.jpg (14 KB, 193x257) Image search: [Google]
1433440579548.jpg
14 KB, 193x257
>live in Germany
>direction signs make sense
>go abroad
>literally nothing that's ever relevant is printed on direction signs
In some countries you could be 20 km from a big city and they'll still print the next best village of 500 people onto the signs.
>>
>live in the country
>nothing is signposted
>somehow haven't got lost despite being absolute shit-tier at finding my way around outside my shitbox
>>
>>14777152
>paper maps in car
>planning your trip ahead
>directions and indications on the road
Still use all of these. Fuck GPS.
>>
File: aa2012.jpg (95 KB, 347x500) Image search: [Google]
aa2012.jpg
95 KB, 347x500
You know those big pockets behind the seats? Well they aren't for old chocolate wrappers and your boyfriends buttplug.
>>
i plan my routes kinda. driving in southern california easy thanks to main streets
>>
Maps are pretty neat, especially when you live somewhere without cell signal.
>>
>>14781459
>>puts house address into google maps.
>>"why would I need to learn streets when I can use put it into my phone?"
>>"I never bothered to learn where anything is because I could just look it up
How the fuck does he not know where shit is just through osmosis? Only time I need my GPS is if it's somewhere I've never been before.
>>
I've been trying to get around without GPS a lot more lately, but I'm finding that road signs and what not are either completely missing or fucked up to the point of pointing the wrong way. Also fuck people that don't number their house...
>>
File: guide.jpg (62 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
guide.jpg
62 KB, 500x500
thomas guide senpai
>>
>>14777152
Its called using your brain.
>>
File: 71fs+G+iJIL._SL1500_.jpg (58 KB, 521x1500) Image search: [Google]
71fs+G+iJIL._SL1500_.jpg
58 KB, 521x1500
>>14782341
>How the fuck does he not know where shit is just through osmosis?

because he doesn't care. it's just like how kids don't know the street names but they know where to make turns to get to their friend's house. Same concept.
>>
>>14777152
there were these things called maps.

they came on paper suport. you memorized your exits and that was it.
>>
>>14783811
I mean without google maps
that is basically gps
>>
I only use GPS when I leave the city.
Using it in the city can lead to serious waste of time and money.

I even have some nice maps for the coast around my city so even then I avoid using GPS
>>
I know my way around but I always plug in my phone+waze because of traffic. Shit saves me hours. Also, the road warnings and copy reports come in handy
>>
If I'm going somewhere new, I fidn it on google maps and then memorize the streets and turns I need to take. Sometimes I'll go to street view and remember what it actually looks like for when I get there.
>>
>>14778374
kek
>>
>>14781450
god this. we used to drive into Houston to see concerts when I was in college and I was always the driver. I didn't know houston or have any maps in the car. You went to Mapquest.com and printed up step by step directions on how to get there. And it worked, I always found the place. The problem was trying to find my way back home, you can't just take the same roads to get on the freeway, especially in downtown Houston. If you get on the wrong street you won't be able to turn around and it puts you straight up on some random freeway and next thing you know you're zooming across Houston and don't even know what direction you're going in. And if you pull off to a gas station more likely than not you're in straight nigger town. We got lost coming home every time and I always got made fun of for consistently driving us through nigger town.
>>
>>14781156
You're minimizing the inconvenience involved in that, especially if you're running late.
>>
>hamburgetistanese talking about getting lost without a map
>every town is a grid
>every highwy is a straight line between two cities
kek
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.