[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
got a new car, its rwd and supposed to come with a torsen lsd.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (59 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
59 KB, 1280x720
got a new car, its rwd and supposed to come with a torsen lsd. however when it gets caught up in snow/slush only one tire spins even when gunning it and i had it up on jackstands to install some braided brake lines and i spun the rear wheels but if i spun one it would not spin the other. i havent done a burnout test because it comes with wide sticky summer tires and its only a manual turbo 4 so its kind of a pain in the ass to light up the tires enough to smoke and leave rubber.
does it sound like i have a torsen or did they fuck up my car at the factory?
>>
>>14771013
OP just tell us the car to make it easier for us.
>>
Just rev it up and dump the clutch you little Bitch
>>
>>14771021
Do this
>>
>>14771021
2014 genesis coupe 2.0t rspec. yes, a dickwindows.

>>14771028
i do. the tires are sticky as fuck. it gains traction surprisingly quick
>>
>>14771031
those are FWD/AWD not rwd. good try.
>>
>>14771056
You're fucking retarded.
>>
>>14771056
no.
>>
>>14771056
>Current year
>Being this retarded
>>
>>14771056
Wat
>>
>>14771056
I was going to do that to troll. lol
>>
>>14771056
/thread
>>
>>14771056
genesis and genesis coupe are two different cars.
One is a 4 door liftback, the other is 2 door coupe.

The Genesis Coupe (in the spec that he specified) should have an torsen LSD from factory.

>>14771013
Chances are its not the spec you think it is.
>>
>>14771031
its not an R then, just a 2.0T base.
>>
>>14771013
Does anyone actually know how a torsen LSD works?
>>
File: asd.jpg (239 KB, 2000x403) Image search: [Google]
asd.jpg
239 KB, 2000x403
>>14771100
>>14771124
they must have fucked up royally at the factory then
>>
>>14771132
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiq1Rk5wqds

Heres a good video to get an idea of how they work, essentially a fixed ratio of slip, they're never truly "locked" or "open"
>>
>>14771150
And yes the vins match up, it's the original sticker
>>
>>14771132
Obviously not, sometimes I wonder why the hell I waste so much time here surrounded by idiots.
>>14771150
Your diff isn't welded with 100% lock up man.
>>
>>14771150
simple then, take it back to the dealership and thow a tizzy.
>>
>>14771160
I know that, but doing 1 tire fires in the snow isn't right, right?

>>14771164
Might, but don't want to look like q retarded dick and make a fuss over nothing
>>
>>14771185
Lay down black strips of rubber doing a burn out and accelerating. If you only get one, you have a problem. If you get two and they aren't equal in darkness/length that is just that nature of your diff. If you get one you have a problem.

I see no chance your car doesn't have an LSD tho.
>>
My Miata with the torsen will spin both tires in snow or rain. Give it any gas and you'll just hang the ass out sideways.
>>
>>14771197
see above, i tired but the tires are too sticky for my babby engine to sustain for long enough to even leave rubber. however ive literally stepped out of the car in 1st gear spinning on snow and only one wheel spinning (left wheel usually iirc).

>>14771211
yeah it does fairly well for being a sports car in the snow, i can only assume it has torsen otherwise i wouldnt have been able to climb the snowy hills i did. and yeah mine slides to the right when i try to burn out too.
>>
>>14771329
>i tired but the tires are too sticky for my babby engine to sustain for long enough to even leave rubber
More gas/Drop clutch/Hold brakes
>>
File: americanCar.png (1 MB, 948x680) Image search: [Google]
americanCar.png
1 MB, 948x680
>>14771013
lift the rear of the car on jack stands. put car in gear so that drive shaft is locked.
now rotate one of the rear tires with your hand. the tire on the other side should rotate in the opposite direction.
if this is not the case then there's something really funny going on.
you could also try to identify the type of differential from the looks, but I don't know if there's enough info out there on the net to guide you on that. you would need to see photos of the open diff and torsen versions so that you can compare, I'm not sure where or if you could find such photos for a gen coupe.
>>
>>14771013
torsens will do that on very low friction surfaces
it only multiplies torque
>>
>>14771359
>more gas
on the floor
>drop clutch
really the only way
>hold brakes
either the brakes are really good (it has brembos), it doesnt have as much as a front bias as other cars, or there is an ecu throttle cut because whenever i try to brakestand the throttle seems to just cut off

>>14771364
tired rotating it when it was on stands but not in gear ill have to do that. in neutral one did not rotate the other btw. i bet i could find pics of different pumpkins, ill look.

>>14771374
you sure about? the way it is explained is its supposed to lock up as soon as there is a large enough movement differential between the tires (turning doesnt lock up but 1 wheel slipping does, almost instantly too)
>>
>>14771390
did you turn of traction control?
>>
>>14771404
i have it off (essentially) permanently
>>
>>14771408
that was supposed to read its essentially permanently off, not essentially disabled btw
>>
>>14771013
Because it looks like you haven't gotten anything but shit answers.
Helical/Torsen diffs generally aren't preloaded. This means only gear thrust forces serve to "lock" your differential. If you get stuck in the snow, lightly apply both your brakes and gas and both your rear wheels will lock together.

Let's say your torque bias ratio is 4. That means the ratio of torque on your non-slipping wheel is 4X that of your wheel on ice/snow. 0 X 4 is still zero so you need to increase drag on one side to provide traction to the other.
>>
>>14771424
interesting ill have to try that next winter. luckily my snow tires are pretty damn good that they can inch me out of slippery slopes and stuff whether im crawling or gunning it
>>
>>14771390
There's a maximum limit to how much it can multiply torque. lets say 3:1 ratio
If one of the wheels is on ice and it takes 1lbft to spin it then then the 3lbft acting on the other wheel will not be enough to accelerate the car.
>>
>>14771424
Military humvees use Eaton helical/Torsen differentials. It was pretty common to get stuck in sand/mud in those, where you need to apply both brakes and gas to get free.

Reason for this is that you need a reaction force from your differential outputs to generate thrust forces on your output helical and change the torque path through the worm gears. This is different from what you would see in a clutch-style LSD, where there's usually some spring preload to provide that minor initial drag torque that you don't get in helical differentials.
>>
>>14771471
wavetracs get around it with a locking cam but are still supposed to be shit for some reason.
just pull your handbrake up two clicks and you're fine
>>
Sometimes i wonder why the fuck i visit this website....how does NO ONE know how a Limited Slip works? Or a torsen? They multiply torque not fucking lock up the wheels, or cone close to. You need an actual Locker to have both tires spinning.
>>
>>14771013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-rQTHMVAuw

Go to about 1:00.

Limited slip does not work the way you think it does.
>>
>>14771494
They're not shit, those that actually have them swear by them
>>
i was under the impression they lock as in this video (3:30)
https://youtu.be/JEiSTzK-A2A?t=210
>>
>>14771533
high failure rate apparently
>>
>>14771548
Source? I've googled their reliability and durability and haven't found a bad thing said about them
>>
>>14771584
I think people think this because Quaife has been in the business longer and has a track record of reliability and it's a traditional clutch type LSD, compared to the wavetrac which is pretty new with a completely different design
>>
>>14771610
quaife's own diff isn't a clutch type
>>
>>14771666
Yeah, your right, it's an ATB type
>>
>>14771013
Torsen and helical diffs don't lock completely, they have a torque bias ratio that says how much extra torque they can send to the wheel with more traction. Usually they are around 3:1, meaning in that case the diff can send up to three times the amount of torque to the wheel with traction than the wheel with less. That means that if one wheel is up in the air (or has absurdly low traction) the diff could still be putting down very little power on the other wheel. So its possible you still have an lsd but maybe with a lower ratio (say, 2:1) or that your tires have really bad traction in snow and ice. Note that that even with a locked differential it's possible to spin tires in snow and ice.
>>
The stuff in this thread applies to A4 B6 Quattro?
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.